Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Polaris lounge access for global service and 1ks as a status benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polaris lounge access for global service and 1ks as a status benefit?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Way to many additions to Lounge if blanket invites to all GS and 1K. Invitation to $100k annual spenders and 5MM lifetime milers might work.
I’d say GS only while traveling on a premium domestic fare as the limitation
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
So fly Delta.

UA is betting that other parts of their experience offset the lack of lounge access. I don't know if they're wrong or they're right, but that's clearly what they think.
This argument was brought up not to convince people to fly delta but United Can and Should tru to do better on the lounge access front.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jp12687
I’d say GS only while traveling on a premium domestic fare as the limitation
That would swamp SFO Polaris lounge.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seanp7
We're going in circles; you're not comparing apples to apples, you need to factor in international itineraries, and as noted, the sheer volume of eligible US-based passengers makes this cost-prohibitive for the big 3 (with a few exceptions noted in this thread). Allowing 1K/GS into the Polaris lounge for domestic itineraries (or even intl Y ones) is not the solution, nor does UA believe it will change customer behavior enough to help their bottom line.
I agree that comping 1k\GS I not the Polaris lounge would make them way to crowded however they can do better by AT least giving the person who spends $50,000 a year on their airline access to their sub tier United clubs.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
We can agree to disagree on Delta being far better as color me unimpressed with them.

Regardless, the top tier on Delta doesn't get lounge access automatically, it is a choice benefit. And those lounges do not compare to a Polaris lounge.

And I'm not sure what complimentary lounge access American Airlines frequent fliers get, Executive Platinum cost is $550 a year - again, for not a Polaris lounge experience.

I'm also not sure why anyone would advocate for free Polaris lounge access at the 1K level, the Polaris lounges of all things don't need to be overcrowded. Especially at SFO, the Polaris lounge would likely not be able to handle GS members.
At least delta diamonds get access to A lounge I think everyone would agree that that is better than NO lounge. Also when I was referring to american top tier flyers I was talking about concierge keys which do receive basically a flagship lounge membership.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 11, 2020 at 6:40 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
however they can do better by AT least giving the person who spends $50,000 a year on their airline access to their sub tier United clubs.
Said person can spend $50,650 per year and get access to the UC.

PL access as a GS perk is more interesting because it can't be purchased.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This argument was brought up not to convince people to fly delta but United Can and Should tru to do better on the lounge access front.
I disagree. I think their policy is fine, and I say that as a 1K with frequent domestic flights without lounge access. It's not even worth the $350 to me to get the United Club credit card. If it were worth $350 to me, I'd spend the $350.

If they give expanded access, they'll either raise fares or cut services somewhere else.

And if the fact that Delta offers lounge access as a Choices benefit doesn't convince people to fly DL, then that's a pretty good argument that UA needn't bother. Some people want DL's limited GUCs (with no publicly-visible inventory) and a SkyClub membership; others want UA's unlimited PlusPoints and are willing to pay for United Club membership.
dilanesp likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA
I know it’s very strange how FF benefits change as we go around the world. I mean LH even gives first class lounge access to Hon circle flyers and these lounges are much nicer than polris lounges and getting hon circle is less expensive than getting GS.
I think you need to check your facts again, HON Circle is much, much more expensive than GS. The only reason they're flying in Y is because F/J isn't available. You can't even earn status miles for HON Circle unless you fly in F/J.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threeoh
Said person can spend $50,650 per year and get access to the UC.

PL access as a GS perk is more interesting because it can't be purchased.
Thats the problem with thinking that way as a business. Because instead that person who is probably on OPM will probably spend $0 with you.

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
I think you need to check your facts again, HON Circle is much, much more expensive than GS. The only reason they're flying in Y is because F/J isn't available. You can't even earn status miles for HON Circle unless you fly in F/J.
I think you need to check your facts to earn HON circle points you no longer need to be in F/J.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 11, 2020 at 6:42 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:54 pm

Thats the problem with thinking that way as a business. Because instead that person who is probably on OPM will probably spend $0 with you.
Not sure what you mean by "probably" but definitely UA attracts a lot of GS (including some on this forum!) so obviously free domestic lounge access just isn't that important to some people.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threeoh
Not sure what you mean by "probably" but definitely UA attracts a lot of GS (including some on this forum!) so obviously free domestic lounge access just isn't that important to some people.
I think lounge access is very important to most GS however most of them continue to spend money on united because A. they are on OPM or B. they are trapped in a hub.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think lounge access is very important to most GS however most of them continue to spend money on united because A. they are on OPM or B. they are trapped in a hub.
Then it's not that important.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA
I think you need to check your facts to earn HON circle points you no longer need to be in F/J.
Maybe you should check again.

From the LH website:
HON Circle miles can only be earned on Business Class and First Class flights operated by the following airlines: Austrian, Lufthansa, SWISS, Brussels, Croatia, Dolomiti, LOT, Luxair and some LX code-share flights operated by Edelweiss. HON Circle miles can also be earned with BEST fares on Eurowings flights.
Either way you still need 600,000 HON Circle Miles over 2 consecutive years, which is F/J only. My original argument still stands, HON Circle is a step or more above GS in spending/flying while you pretty much relegated it to being in between 1K and GS.

This will be my last post in this thread which seems to stem from a poorly understood concept of premium lounges/overcrowding. There is no need to open Polaris to GS/1K not flying Polaris because it would only apply to a very small segment of the market that flies exclusively domestic flights, and/or non premium fares that will hit the spending thresholds.

Last edited by thejaredhuang; Feb 11, 2020 at 3:33 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Either way you still need 600,000 HON Circle Miles, which is F/J only. My original argument still stands, HON Circle is a step or more above GS in spending/flying while you pretty much relegated it to being in between 1K and GS.
You're quoting their older program. Their new program allows for Honors Circle membership based upon the purchase of any fare. But you'd need a lot of flights if you're flying Y.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
At least delta diamonds get access to A lounge I think everyone would agree that that is better than NO lounge.
I disagree, again. The United Clubs are plenty crowded enough without offering free memberships.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This will be my last post in this thread which seems to stem from a poorly understood concept of premium lounges/overcrowding. There is no need to open Polaris to GS/1K not flying Polaris because it would only apply to a very small segment of the market that flies exclusively domestic flights, and/or non premium fares that will hit the spending thresholds.
You can't have it both ways. If this would only affect a small number of customers, then it wouldn't affect crowding.

There are plenty of GS/1K members in long-haul Y. And there are even more in short-haul Y, because it's entirely feasible to reach 1K with a mix of domestic and international travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.