Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Polaris lounge access for global service and 1ks as a status benefit?

Polaris lounge access for global service and 1ks as a status benefit?

Old Sep 4, 19, 3:47 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 32
Polaris lounge access for global service and 1ks as a status benefit?

do you think united will ever open up Polaris lounge acess for 1ks and GS.
united 1k flyer is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 3:59 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,156
Yes, as long as you buy a Polaris business seat.
Kmxu is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:19 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 872
Yes. It'll just cost you a GPU.
skylane is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:25 pm
  #4  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,555
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer View Post
do you think united will ever open up Polaris lounge acess for 1ks and GS.
No, it would create massive overcrowding
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:26 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,614
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer View Post
do you think united will ever open up Polaris lounge acess for 1ks and GS.
No.
(Could you imagine the crowding, at say, SFO, if all 1Ks and GSs would have access???)
narvik is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:28 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,112
I wondered if PL access would eventually be a perk extended to GS, or if passes would be offered to 1Ks (like AA does with FFD to CK members). Now, after experiencing some of the crowds at EWR and SFO firsthand, count me in the camp of wanting to keep things exactly the way they are.

If only United would ever improve the lounge situation at EWR Terminal C... As far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing going on as far as construction of the rumored permanent C-3 club, and the C-1 lounge was just cosmetically touched-up with gray panels over the old Presidents Club circa-1990s wood veneers. For my money it's the worst lounge situation of any US3 hub.
LAXOGG, dmurphynj and Kacee like this.
EWR764 is online now  
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:34 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,617
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
I wondered if PL access would eventually be a perk extended to GS, or if passes would be offered to 1Ks (like AA does with FFD to CK members). Now, after experiencing some of the crowds at EWR and SFO firsthand, count me in the camp of wanting to keep things exactly the way they are.

If only United would ever improve the lounge situation at EWR Terminal C... As far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing going on as far as construction of the rumored permanent C-3 club, and the C-1 lounge was just cosmetically touched-up with gray panels over the old Presidents Club circa-1990s wood veneers. For my money it's the worst lounge situation of any US3 hub.
As an EWR-based flyer, you are spot on. I see zero movement in C3, and the C1 club is awful. The prior C2 club was much better, and that says something.

They really need to address this - it’s embarrassing that the best UC is in Terminal A. At this rate, they’ll be tearing it down before the Terminal C club situation gets fixed.
EWR764 likes this.
dmurphynj is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:34 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,156
I could see a small chance that GSs/1Ks are allowed to access to Polaris lounge if their GPUs (or MUA) fail to clear from Premium Plus fares. Just hope that UA will consider such a scenario in the near future (that is, after all routes offer Premium Plus service).
SFHokie likes this.
Kmxu is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:42 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DCA/IAD/MIA/FLL/PBI
Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Posts: 10,407
I have experienced over-crowding at SFO, EWR and ORD! Please keep the current admittance policy.
trust77 likes this.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:44 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: United Premier 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite
Posts: 122
At the risk of getting flamed, I don't think the Polaris Lounges are anything special.
if you're *G, you can often enjoy really good options from the alliance. The *A lounge in LAX won the Skytrax award for best lounge and it should have. It's run by Air New Zealand and is my favorite lounge in the world. Also, LH usually lets me into the Senator lounges, even if I don't have an F ticket.
AsiaTravel2019 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:51 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,614
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 View Post
At the risk of getting flamed, I don't think the Polaris Lounges are anything special.
It's a lot better than what was previously offered, so a definite improvement IMO.

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
As far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing going on as far as construction of the rumored permanent C-3 club....
They will resume/begin construction of a permanent UC as soon as a consensus of the necessary bribes is worked out.
EWR764 and Dublin_rfk like this.
narvik is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:03 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,645
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 View Post
At the risk of getting flamed, I don't think the Polaris Lounges are anything special.
if you're *G, you can often enjoy really good options from the alliance. The *A lounge in LAX won the Skytrax award for best lounge and it should have. It's run by Air New Zealand and is my favorite lounge in the world. Also, LH usually lets me into the Senator lounges, even if I don't have an F ticket.
I don't think anyone is complaining about the LAX TBIT *A lounge, but if you're flying through SFO, ORD, IAH, EWR, etc. then that's not really an option.

Polaris Lounges are in United hubs (most already, all soon) and are often the best option and a step up from the UC.
crispeta and wrp96 like this.
threeoh is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:03 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,358
I am in 100% agreement with those who favor leaving the current access restrictions in place. Loosening restrictions will lessen the experience due to overcrowding.

Separately, the UC experience could certainly use an upgrade, especially at EWR, IAD, and SFO.

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 View Post
Also, LH usually lets me into the Senator lounges, even if I don't have an F ticket.
um, yes, that would be *G access.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:20 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: United Premier 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I am in 100% agreement with those who favor leaving the current access restrictions in place. Loosening restrictions will lessen the experience due to overcrowding.

Separately, the UC experience could certainly use an upgrade, especially at EWR, IAD, and SFO.


um, yes, that would be *G access.
I don't always get into the first class lounges like Senator or Silverkriss, etc. unless I have an F ticket. Who knows that the rules are.

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
It's a lot better than what was previously offered, so a definite improvement IMO.
Fair point.

They need to move the soda machine from the EWR UC to the Polaris lounge. I love that thing!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 19 at 5:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive threads by same member
AsiaTravel2019 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:22 pm
  #15  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,555
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 View Post
I don't always get into the first class lounges like Senator or Silverkriss, etc. unless I have an F ticket. Who knows that the rules are.
Senator Lounge is not an F lounge and access is standard *G benefit

LH has separate F lounges and the FCT!
ksu, SteveHK and onthesam like this.
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread