Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Shortcut to UA Gold, Plat, 1K (Targeted?) by flying EWR-LHR Polaris segments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shortcut to UA Gold, Plat, 1K (Targeted?) by flying EWR-LHR Polaris segments

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 1k
I'm one of those who got this offer, and will probably take them up on it, since I have to otherwise fly 35000 miles if I want to keep Gold for next year, (I have drastically cut down on my TATL travel this year, but still fly in Europe so Gold status is worth it).

My take on the requirements is that as long as you fly two segments in Polaris between EWR and LHR in any direction, and not necessarily on the same itin then you qualify for Gold status through 2020. So if you want to do a couple of mixed class, mixed carrier journeys with connections either end just flying LHR-EWR in one direction both times, then that is fine, as long as the London to Newark is flown in Polaris.

I'll probably do LHR-EWR-MCO as it's a couple of hundred pound cheaper @£2265 than LHR-EWR and I have friends in Florida I can visi for a few days.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
First they increase the eligibility requirement to achieve 1K, then they offer this shortcut?
The mind boggles...
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by narvik
First they increase the eligibility requirement to achieve 1K, then they offer this shortcut?
The mind boggles...
My "mind" tells me they are probably not meeting their goals for the various status levels.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I got targeted as well,

So...come on this FT.

What is the best city pairs to do this for the least amount of money and on what dates?

I personally am not enough of a matrix wizard, but with routing codes it should be easy to force this together right?

Also EWR-LHR was served by AI, but that has ended so the only *A flights between EWR and LHR are on UA.
Assuming the earlier speculation is correct that EWR-LHR-x qualifies, EWR-(LHR-)IST looks pretty good.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by JetAway
My "mind" tells me they are probably not meeting their goals for the various status levels.
Maybe.
Although being that this is United we are talking about, a much more likely scenario is: They currently are projecting that they're not meeting their goals for the various status levels, but once mid December comes around, they suddenly realize that they were completely wrong in their previous assessment, and will overshoot the goals by a huge margin, and subsequently make earning status for 2021 even harder by increasing -for instance- 1K requirements to 150K miles & $20K spend.
higher_flyer likes this.

Last edited by narvik; Aug 17, 2019 at 7:20 am
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
The mind boggles...
let's face it. 4 r/ts to LHR to get 1K ... that's $10k if you buy it very cheaply and >40k PQMs. UA isn't really letting you have it easily here either assuming those targeted already spend a good amount this year.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
let's face it. 4 r/ts to LHR to get 1K ... that's $10k if you buy it very cheaply and >40k PQMs. UA isn't really letting you have it easily here either assuming those targeted already spend a good amount this year.
I don't know about that since post #16 mentions that 35,000 miles are still needed for Gold. Maybe they are targeting people who had not flown up to their normal level.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by JetAway
I think more likely they are struggling to fill those high J 763s on the ewr-lhr route. They probably targeting people who have been known to fly similar route.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ani90
I think more likely they are struggling to fill those high J 763s on the ewr-lhr route. They probably targeting people who have been known to fly similar route.
My thoughts also, this is essentially a publicity move to increase awareness / purchases on this new option.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
agreed. I am seeing a lot of half-empty planes this summer with 10+ OPUPs. Now, this promo is post summer season so if UA doesn't think they can fill the C cabin then, that's concerning.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I fly TATL a few times each year, enough to make 1K on PQMs, and use my GPUs but even if there is PZ availability I avoid EWR at all costs. I will fly from any other hub but EWR is the worst for delays.

Very much to my regret in July I chose to route through EWR to PUC rather than IAH due to the schedule from IAH. Delayed so party I was meeting for further travel had to hang around PUC (not a place you want to spend a couple of hours).

Hopefully United decides there are too many EWR-LHR/LHR-EWR flights since they cannot fill Polaris and bring back the LHR-LAX morning departure flight as I now avoid returning from LHR through LAX and will often take the NZ flight since it leaves earlier than the UA flight to LAX. Always near full flights when I have caught those flights. And now that LAX has a Polaris lounge hopefully we can see the return of the morning LHR-LAX flight.

I would fly United LHR-LAX morning flight. I will never fly LHR-EWR ( or EWR-LHR).

Suspect this may be why I did not receive the targeted offer. 😱
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Very much to my regret in July I chose to route through EWR to PUC rather than IAH due to the schedule from IAH. Delayed so party I was meeting for further travel had to hang around PUC (not a place you want to spend a couple of hours).
Carbon County Airport in Price, Utah?
getagb and ajGoes like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by kale73

Carbon County Airport in Price, Utah?
Oops. Sorry that should be PUJ (Punta Cana). ☺️
getagb, kale73 and ajGoes like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Oops. Sorry that should be PUJ (Punta Cana). ☺️
Is the airport more dangerous than the resorts?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
We are getting a bit way from the discussion of the status promo, let's return to it.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.