Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BRU passengers need to be at the gate 60 minutes prior to departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador

United website says
  • For domestic flights, except flights departing Guam and flights that are part of an international itinerary, at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
  • For international flights, including flights departing Guam and flights that are part of an international itinerary, at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure, with the exception of the following locations, where the time limit is 60 minutes: Brussels, Belgium (BRU), the Marshall Islands (Majuro – MAJ and Kwajalein – KWA), and Micronesia (Kosrae – KSA, Pohnpei – PNI, Truk -TKK, Yap – YAP).”
does that actually happen and is it enforced/why?
Would prefer to stay in lounge longer if I don’t have to.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You don't have to be on board, you just have to be at the gate. If you're not there, you run the risk of being dropped from the flight (and having the rest of your itinerary canceled).
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:47 pm

Why is BRU a special case?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by James91
Probably extra security checks.
Markie and James91 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by James91
My guess is in case extra security screening is needed.
James91 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:52 pm

Might also want to give yourself sufficient time to get past security.

​​​​​​Exiting EU at BRU: horrible delays
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I connected in BRU to UA from LH a couple of months ago. Only thing was to make sure you had your passport looked at and another sticker put on at the gate. I did this then went to the lounge and it was business as usual. Lounge was horribly packed though and not great. Tried the SQ lounge which was quieter, and better food.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Tried the SQ lounge which was quieter, and better food.
SQ Lounge in Brussels?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by warakorn
SQ Lounge in Brussels?
Umm... I thought it was... was kind of early in the morning, and I might not have had all my meds...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
There is no need to be at the ggate any earlier than normal. Hang out in the Brussels Airlines lounge.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:00 am

I think that's UA's way of getting people to show up to the airport early so the show that is outbound immigration doesn't cause them to miss their flight. What takes < 5 minutes at AMS can take an hour at BRU.

Once you're actually past la migra there's no need to show up to the gate any earlier than you would for any other long-haul flight.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2019 at 4:36 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Umm... I thought it was... was kind of early in the morning, and I might not have had all my meds...
There's no SQ lounge in BRU.
Only the SN Suite lounge and its overflow space, Diamond lounge which also accepts priority pass, and a BA lounge in the non-Schengen non-Africa flights area.

At gate, they perform the usual document check and security questions, not any different from most ex-EU flights.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:17 am

The 60 min requirement was added after the ISIS bombings in 2016; as they were doing extra gate checks in the months after. Those extra checks have now been integrated into the regular security screening process, but the UA requirement remained. I'm convinced they just forgot about it, as nowadays there is nothing different in BRU vs. any other EU non-preclearance airport. No extra checks, no additional security, no extra any other requirements vs. what you'd see in LHR, CDG, AMS, etc. You won't be denied boarding if you only get there 30 mins before; usually, they're still boarding BG1/BG2 at that time.

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
I think that's UA's way of getting people to show up to the airport early, so the @#$%show that is outbound immigration doesn't cause them to miss their flight.
AFAIK it's the inbound immigration that is a mess due to lack of capacity to handle the increased amount of pax. They'll have to build a new terminal to solve this issue as there is no room to expand immigration in that 80's-era part of the terminal. Outbound "immigration" is in a newly built block of the terminal and has always been quick for me.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozilla
Outbound "immigration" is in a newly built block of the terminal and has always been quick for me.
Outbound immigration (emigration?) was a mess the only time I've transferred through BRU to the US. The line was at least 20 minutes, with multiple people pushing their way to the front, seemingly with no repercussions. I offended someone by refusing to let her push past me -- she was absolutely taken aback that I didn't care that she had a "tight connection." (Spoiler alert: I later saw her buying chocolate at check-out of one of the duty-free shops, with bags from two different shops in her other hand).

Do you end up in a different place if you're originating in BRU?

The only thing I saw that might have explained the 60-minute thing is that the "wait in line to answer security questions" process near the gate was slower than at other European airports I've transited. The people in front of me were getting the third degree: "where did you go in Europe? What did you do there?" So, if you showed up at the gate at T-30 without having gotten your Magic Sticker of Safety™, you could well be in trouble.
Thysk likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Plat
INTL<DOM?

Originally Posted by dparkinson
flights that are part of an international itinerary, at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure
Surely INTL pax aren't treated worse than domestic as a matter of policy?!?

I can imagine a tiny PWM-EWR flight that's over by 1 and finished boarding early at T-20 with 2 stragglers: INT,L and DOM,E. Are you telling me the GA would be permitted to offload INT,L just because they're headed to Europe? In practice, I should hope the GA would wait to see who shows up first or at T-15 offload them both!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.