FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BRU passengers need to be at the gate 60 minutes prior to departure?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:26 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozilla
Outbound "immigration" is in a newly built block of the terminal and has always been quick for me.
Outbound immigration (emigration?) was a mess the only time I've transferred through BRU to the US. The line was at least 20 minutes, with multiple people pushing their way to the front, seemingly with no repercussions. I offended someone by refusing to let her push past me -- she was absolutely taken aback that I didn't care that she had a "tight connection." (Spoiler alert: I later saw her buying chocolate at check-out of one of the duty-free shops, with bags from two different shops in her other hand).

Do you end up in a different place if you're originating in BRU?

The only thing I saw that might have explained the 60-minute thing is that the "wait in line to answer security questions" process near the gate was slower than at other European airports I've transited. The people in front of me were getting the third degree: "where did you go in Europe? What did you do there?" So, if you showed up at the gate at T-30 without having gotten your Magic Sticker of Safety™, you could well be in trouble.