Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin usage on A319

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
That's 43,120 cm^3. Or 43.1 L. A full or even somewhat full 75L pack is nowhere close to conforming with the size limit.
Good point.

Without truncating the conversion —

22" × 14" × 9" = (22×2.54)cm × (14×2.54)cm × (9×2.54)cm = 45.4 L

— and then adding the personal item —

17" × 10" × 9" = (17×2.54)cm × (10×2.54)cm × (9×2.54)cm = 25.1 L

— I total 70.5 L, which means 4.5 extraneous Nalgenes are being sneaked aboard in that 75 L pack!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Well, en route from EWR to GVA at the moment. I appreciate all feedback. On my return trip next week I will be checking my backpack for the flight home. Thanks for the constructive criticism. And again, sorry for referencing the female pax. She was not relevant to the conversation.
nnn, artvandalay, narvik and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ekwang
Well, en route from EWR to GVA at the moment. I appreciate all feedback. On my return trip next week I will be checking my backpack for the flight home. Thanks for the constructive criticism. And again, sorry for referencing the female pax. She was not relevant to the conversation.
In front on the widebodies (typical aircraft for GVA-EWR), the overhead space isn't very restricted. It's only on narrowbodies (e.g., EWR-PDX) that the exact dimensions make a lot of difference.

So on your return, if it makes any difference to you, and assuming no challenge from check-in or gate agent, you could carry the oversize pack for the int'l leg and then check it when you connect.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I randomly picked a 75L backpack from eBags. The listed dimension is 34" x 14.3" x 10.3", or 58.6 linear dimension inches (adding width + length + height)

UA's maximum dimension for carry-on bags is 24" x 14" x 9", or 45 linear dimension inches. Also, it appears that United changed the COC, and carry-on bags are restricted via linear dimensions vs. linear dimension inches. Here is Rule 23.B.2:

Carry-on Free Baggage Allowance - UA will accept one piece of Carry-on Baggage free of charge, which, for purposes of this Rule, is referred to as the “Carry-on Free Baggage Allowance”, and one personal item such as a shoulder bag, backpack, briefcase, laptop bag or similar item, except, however, UA will not accept any Carry-on Baggage for passengers traveling on a Basic Economy fare and Basic Economy passengers whose baggage is checked at the gate will be charged the applicable checked bag service charge, plus a 25 USD/25 CAD gate handling service charge. Carry-on Baggage must not exceed the Maximum Outside Linear Dimensions of 9 inches (22 cm) x 14 inches (35 cm) x 22 inches (56 cm), which includes its wheels and handles. Personal items must not exceed 9 inches (22 cm) x 10 inches (25 cm) x 17 inches (43 cm), which includes any wheels and handles. A personal item that exceeds these maximum linear dimensions but is not greater than 9 inches (22 cm) x 14 inches (35 cm) x 22 inches (56 cm) will be considered as Carry-on Baggage. Carry-on Baggage or personal items suspected of being oversized may require being placed into a sizing unit to determine acceptability. Carry-on Baggage that exceeds the Maximum Linear Dimensions allowed or that exceeds the Carry-on Free Baggage Allowance will be considered as Checked Baggage and is subject to Checked Baggage service charges.
(Emphasis added)

Unless OP somehow shrunk the bag by 10" by not overpacking, it is not compliant as a carry-on bag.

Also, FWIW, checked-bag is still measured by linear dimension inches (62 inches is the maximum without oversize charge).
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
UA's maximum dimension for carry-on bags is 24" x 14" x 9", or 45 linear dimension inches. Also, it appears that United changed the COC, and carry-on bags are restricted via linear dimensions vs. linear dimension inches.
Is that a change? They've been using sizers for years, and the sizers enforce the dimensions. (I think the contrast you want is dimensions vs. "linear dimensions," which isn't really a thing in any context except for the shipping world).

It is true that some agents will routinely ignore the posted rules for odd-shaped items that will clearly fit in the overhead (garment bags, poster tubes, etc.)
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jsloan
Is that a change? They've been using sizers for years, and the sizers enforce the dimensions. (I think the contrast you want is dimensions vs. "linear dimensions," which isn't really a thing in any context except for the shipping world).

It is true that some agents will routinely ignore the posted rules for odd-shaped items that will clearly fit in the overhead (garment bags, poster tubes, etc.)
Yes, while sizers have been out there for a while, the previous policy was based on linear dimensions (i.e., adding up the length, width, and height) and not based on specific dimensions. It appears that the COC has been updated for enforce specific length/width/height.

Also, I was trying to point out that under either the old or new policy, OP's bag would not be compliant.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Backpacks as carry-on = PITA for all other passengers in one way or another!

***Backpacks are for hiking, not FLYING!***

....and I now have a small backpack too....resisted for 20+ years and a few months ago finally and with much disdain, I succumbed....
ExplorerWannabe and freeagent like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
So on your return, if it makes any difference to you, and assuming no challenge from check-in or gate agent, you could carry the oversize pack for the int'l leg and then check it when you connect.
While he might get away with it, I still maintain that a 75 liter backpack is way over the line and it's rude to even think about taking it onboard as a carry-on unless it has its own ticket. I've seen even widebodies pressed for overhead bin space (though not as much in the front cabin). It'd be a bit different if it was a 35-40 liter daypack and a 25 liter "personal item" because they're separable and can be moved around to optimize space but real backpacks take up a lot of space. Note their volumetric rating is based on what they will hold, not what they take up. In addition to whatever's in the pack itself, you have straps, hip belt, pads, etc.
jsloan and gcashin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.