Overhead bin usage on A319

Old Aug 15, 19, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United Silver
Overhead bin usage on A319

Currently en route to GVA from PDX via EWR. Seated in 2 E on an A319. Taking my 75 L pack for a five day trip in Chamonix. Both a petite woman and FA made comment of the size my backpack in the overhead bin, as I had to place it lengthwise (rather than the wheels first position if I were using a duffel or carry-on luggage piece). I felt like I was being made to feel guilty, but frankly I paid good money for my Z class ticket. I mean, the GA didn’t stop me and tell me to check it, so why should I feel bad, right? Or am I wrong? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by ekwang View Post
Currently en route to GVA from PDX via EWR. Seated in 2 E on an A319. Taking my 75 L pack for a five day trip in Chamonix. Both a petite woman and FA made comment of the size my backpack in the overhead bin, as I had to place it lengthwise (rather than the wheels first position if I were using a duffel or carry-on luggage piece). I felt like I was being made to feel guilty, but frankly I paid good money for my Z class ticket. I mean, the GA didn’t stop me and tell me to check it, so why should I feel bad, right? Or am I wrong? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If the bag actually conforms to UA’s carry on measurements, you shouldn’t feel guilty. If it doesn’t conform, but FA or GA doesn’t say anything about it, you are still ignoring the rules and taking more space than you are entitled to, and should feel a little guilty.

When you check in, at a kiosk, online, or via app, you are presented with dimensions. There is no asterisk saying “people who buy Z fares can ignore this”. Some travelers decide they are beyond restrictions.

I saw a three-pack of BE travelers caught by a GA towards the end of boarding at HNL. Two of them had small roll-aboards that didn’t fit into the “small item” fitter. They claimed they bought them specifically because they thought they would fit under a seat. GA told them the measurements are provided at check-in and their bags didn’t conform. I went ahead and boarded, so I don’t know what the outcome was.
nnn, rmadisonwi, narvik and 6 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 15, 19 at 8:47 am
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why is it important to describe the woman as "petite"? Is i relevant?

The sole question is whether your backpack meets the published dimensions for carry-on, not whether it fits the OH. If it was oversize, the GA ought to have stopped you or the FA should have it gate-checked. If it is within the published dimensions, neither the GA nor FA have a basis to complaint.

Ignore the non-employee.
EWR764, narvik, brp1264 and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Is your bag larger than the allowed size? (9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches) If so, then yes, you should "feel bad".

The maximum carry-on size equates to 46 liters. If your 75 liter bag is even close to full then you are almost certainly over the size limit.
roberto99, nnn, Statman and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:41 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Seems implausible that a 75l pack meets the carryon size restriction. If so, why shouldn't they comment on your flouting the rules?
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:42 am

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
I am astounded by how large many of the carryon items with wheels are - in fact I look at them and wonder how they fit the sizer.

Why another pax felt the need to comment is beyond me. I just mind my own business.

Was the FA questioning how the backpack fitted in the sizer or the shape of the backpack? As far as I am aware there is no requirement that a carryon be a particular shape just it needs to fit within the sizer. People often bring on long poles, paddles, telescopic tubes, etc. that definitely do not fit inside the sizer and place them in the overhead and complain when others put their bags in the overhead.

I hike in Eyrope over the summer and often attach my hiking boots to the bottom of my day pack as I want to ensure I have my boots with me - they may be an unsightly item but my comfort for my planned activity is more important than how someone feels about seeing a pair of boots in the overhead. The daypack and boots meet the sizer requirement (together).

As long as the backpack fits in the sizer then just smile and ignore the comments.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Aug 15, 19 at 9:03 am
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
If a bag is too long to fit in the overhead bin lengthwise (i.e. wheels first for roller bag), then it's very likely it's taller than the sizer dimensions. Just because a gate agent didn't stop you doesn't mean your bag meets the regulations.

It's annoying when someone has an oversized bag and stores it douche-bag style, taking up the full bin. Overhead bin space is already at a premium on the 319. I'd expect the other paz who may have also paid good money for their Z fares may be frustrated to find that there are only 4 bins for 8 pax, and it sounds like one bag is likely taking up the better part of a full bin.
nnn, kimberlyrose, limey1K and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United Silver
Well, I do not believe my backpack would have fit with ink the guidelines. However, that being said, given a cursory visual inspection, it would be similar in overall profile to that of a medium size wheeled carry-on that had its handle extended and personal item attached to the extended handle. So, I guess I should feel a little guilty while it night technically fit the dimension guidelines, it does not fit like the intended items. With regard to my comment about the pax, you are correct, in hindsight it was an irrelevant comment on my part and had no bearing on the subject matter in the first place. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not about :"feeling guilty" is is simply about sticking to the rules. They are there so that the shared space really is shared. It is a zero-sum game. If you take more than what is your "share" than some other passenger loses.

While I generally favor a bit of leniency by agents, this is an area where strict enforcement is important.
nnn, narvik, ajGoes and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by gcashin View Post
If a bag is too long to fit in the overhead bin lengthwise (i.e. wheels first for roller bag), then it's very likely it's taller than the sizer dimensions.
I think that's guaranteed, actually. Those bins will take an overlength roller wheels first, so if something doesn't fit it is more than an inch or two too long.
frankly I paid good money for my Z class ticket
nnn, kimberlyrose, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Is your bag larger than the allowed size? (9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches) If so, then yes, you should "feel bad".

The maximum carry-on size equates to 46 liters. If your 75 liter bag is even close to full then you are almost certainly over the size limit.
A typical 75L backpack is about 33" high. So yeah, it pretty much blows the carry-on dimensions out of the water. Surprised that the GA let OP board with that.
nnn, kimberlyrose, ajGoes and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
75L backpacks are way over the carry-on size limit, but at least you got on. I'd maybe feel a touch guilty, and move along. Sometimes, especially in Europe, I get tagged for an oversized/overweight rollaboard (usually >10kg), and don't put up much of a fight, even though I know it fits, and I know there will be bin space. The rules are pretty clear, it's enforcement that's spotty.

Originally Posted by gcashin View Post
It's annoying when someone has an oversized bag and stores it douche-bag style, taking up the full bin. Overhead bin space is already at a premium on the 319. I'd expect the other paz who may have also paid good money for their Z fares may be frustrated to find that there are only 4 bins for 8 pax, and it sounds like one bag is likely taking up the better part of a full bin.
Is it a DB move in the first 2 rows of a 737, where the bins aren't as deep, if I can't stow my compliant rollaboard wheels-first? I usually put mine after row 3, but sometimes I don't have a choice, and end up in rows 1/2.
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Is it a DB move in the first 2 rows of a 737, where the bins aren't as deep, if I can't stow my compliant rollaboard wheels-first? I usually put mine after row 3, but sometimes I don't have a choice, and end up in rows 1/2.
I would certainly feel very apologetic.. when you put a bag in sideways like that it is blocking far more than its volume's worth of space in the bin. It's admittedly just a problem on the older 737s and another reason I try to avoid row 1. (there's enough space starting with the aft part of the second bin IME).
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
75L backpacks are way over the carry-on size limit, but at least you got on. I'd maybe feel a touch guilty, and move along. Sometimes, especially in Europe, I get tagged for an oversized/overweight rollaboard (usually >10kg), and don't put up much of a fight, even though I know it fits, and I know there will be bin space. The rules are pretty clear, it's enforcement that's spotty.

OP's backpack is more like a suitcase if you ask me, but yes the very front of the bins on a 737 are super annoying. My Travel Pro 2 wheeled bag fits though, and I'm at a loss to find a replacement for it when it finally dies.

OP, I'm flying last minute this Sunday (well, booked last night, so last minute to me) in First, what I paid doesn't give me the right to take up more space. I don't care what you paid, or if you upgraded, I don't care about status, respectful use of the OHB space is what I do.
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Why is it important to describe the woman as "petite"? Is i relevant?...
Very important and relevant. The volume of a 60kg woman is substantially less than 75 liters. He was carrying a pack that was bigger than the woman.

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-volume-of-average-human

Search this Thread