Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Hong Kong Civil Unrest, 12 - 15 Aug, 2019, {Not further extended}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Hong Kong Civil Unrest, 12 - 15 Aug, 2019, {Not further extended}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is that arrivals and departures are not universally stopped, but check in and security clearance are stopped. The main impediment is to departures (since Tuesday afternoon HKT), and it's not clear to me how that affects crew for departing flights, so those may cancel especially if UA can't get their crew in. Arrivals shouldn't be generically affected.

The CX forum has a thread with more frequent information added, as well as other places on the internet.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Didn't I read that the airport was closed all day Monday? If so, how did all of UA's flights get out on-time?
No, AAHK announced suspension of check-in and arrival ground stop after 4 pm.
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by JetAway
If UA continues to depart flights to HKG with the current situation and advisories being what they are, then they are doing so contrary to the best interests of their customers. I understand, of course, that a lot of people have connecting flights, etc. in HKG but this is a deteriorating situation that is very likely to get much worse.
Have you considered that some of UA's customers' best interests might be in departing HKG?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by onthesam
Have you considered that some of UA's customers' best interests might be in departing HKG?
Of course I've considered that. But if they can't get to the airport or if the airport is closed, they aren't leaving regardless of their "best interests."

The demonstrators have figured out that the airport is HKG's Achilles heel given its financial and tourism importance. And they know the police will not use violent clearing tactics that could harm or be seen by foreign tourists.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:47 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Am I the only one that wouldn't be phased by these protests, purely from a safety aspect? (I 'get' the crowded airport, traffic/transportation disruptions).

Knowing HK and HK people, having been there 3X/year for the last 20 years, I wouldn't think twice about a trip to the Fragrant Harbor and am fully booked and planning a trip there in October--regardless of the situation.*

* That doesn't mean that if the boys from Beijing come in and wreak havoc that my opinion wouldn't change, but I really don't think that's likely to happen.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Just got off the phone with UA, trying to cancel my non-refundable ticket for Thursday. Waiver still a 1+, no refunds being offered. Only rebooking until Aug 20th.

Kind of crazy given the situation, but things may change over the next couple days.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Am I the only one that wouldn't be phased by these protests, purely from a safety aspect? (I 'get' the crowded airport, traffic/transportation disruptions).

Knowing HK and HK people, having been there 3X/year for the last 20 years, I wouldn't think twice about a trip to the Fragrant Harbor and am fully booked and planning a trip there in October--regardless of the situation.*

* That doesn't mean that if the boys from Beijing come in and wreak havoc that my opinion wouldn't change, but I really don't think that's likely to happen.
I also wouldn't be particularly worried about safety. Even if the Chinese send the troops in they will be doing everything to avoid foreign collateral damage.

I once accidentally ended up next to a protest in IST. Was trapped in a mall near Taksim with the protesters in the street below, the cops ended up using gas which seeped into the mall's ventilation systems, so everybody got out of there quick. It was a fascinating experience.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Just got off the phone with UA, trying to cancel my non-refundable ticket for Thursday. Waiver still a 1+, no refunds being offered. Only rebooking until Aug 20th.

Kind of crazy given the situation, but things may change over the next couple days.
wait for another day, situation is developing rapidly on the ground.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Watching CNN airport is a mess yet the EWR flights are on time. Must operate in a area of the airport away from the protests.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:52 am

Looks like the police have opted for "strong measures" at the airport after all.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:55 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs down Stingy United Travel Waiver

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton

When SZX and HKG are so close together and there are no doubt people trying to get home that could use SZX and connect in China, the airport restriction is downright dickish. Meanwhile, the whole friggin' airport is shutdown due to "protesters showing signs of terrorism" (according to the local authorities-- take that for what its worth) and the travel waiver extends for 2 more days from today.

In summary, local authorities shut down an airport and issued a terror-related alert surrounding said shutdown and UA issued a 3-day, 1+ travel waiver. Color me unimpressed.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i lack full details, but i had five colleagues on a flight from EWR to HKG on sunday, arriving monday, with connections on CX to MNL.

no problem landing on monday, but, of course, no flights out.

apparently they spent some time in the lounge (hopefully CX and not united) and got back on a united flight to EWR today
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
When SZX and HKG are so close together and there are no doubt people trying to get home that could use SZX and connect in China
If someone's flight is actually cancelled, then I imagine UA can rebook out of SZX. The waiver is in place to allow people to make changes to flights that aren't affected yet.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold

No, you aren't the only one. I fly in and out of HKG 10 to 15 times a year and live there 5 months out of the year. For "gweilos", it is still safe, as long as you don't mix it up with the protestors. But agree with your comment about the PLA taking action.... that would modify my feelings.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA
If I have SIN-HKG-SFO booked via United, SIN-HKG operated by CX, will the waiver allow me to change this to SIN-SFO direct on UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.