Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Hong Kong Civil Unrest, 12 - 15 Aug, 2019, {Not further extended}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Hong Kong Civil Unrest, 12 - 15 Aug, 2019, {Not further extended}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold

Many outlets reporting, including BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-...channel=social

Will United issue waivers? Will alternate departures out of other cities be allowed?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by saFlyTalk
Will United issue waivers?
Unlikely at the moment.

As of the time of this post, only UA 159/116 (GUM-HKG-GUM) is cancelled. All other UA flights are on schedule to arrive at HKG. Unless the airport can't operate tomorrow, there is no need for a travel waiver.

Originally Posted by saFlyTalk
Will alternate departures out of other cities be allowed?
Even allowed, where can you go?

UA will definitely not rebook on other airlines. So the airports with UA's service that are closest to HKG are SIN, TPE, and PVG. Given that there is no flight in and out of HKG, the only plausible alternative is PVG (about 1 day of train). But given most people will need Chinese visa, does it make sense to rebook to PVG?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have no doubt UA will move heaven and earth to keep service to HKG as its principal competitor on its routes, CX, is under huge pressure from the Chinese Government and will struggle to operate to its timetable, having been required to sack a good proportion of its staff.

Longer term, of course, this spells the end of HKG's dominance in so many of its key areas, but that change won't happen quickly. Short term, with its competition disabled, UA is in a strong position.
EWR764 and althes like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
...........CX, is under huge pressure from the Chinese Government and will struggle to operate to its timetable, having been required to sack a good proportion of its staff.............
That's a huge news, if true. Any source?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TerryK
That's a huge news, if true. Any source?
You like CNN or NY Times?

CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/12/busin...est/index.html

NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/11/b...-protests.html
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
You like CNN or NY Times?........
How do you know that I have a subscription to NY Times?

Article linked mentioned 2 were fired. I hardly consider it as "sack a good proportion of its staff" as CX has over 30,000 employees.
BearX220, coolbeans202 and jbeans like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
With HKG ordered closed, what'll happen with the EWR-HKG flight enroute there now? Divert to NRT?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

Aircraft are still being allowed to land with priority given to long haul aircraft but not sure what will happen with the specific flight
​​​​​​.
Regards
​​​​​​. Tbs
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
I didn't read all of this yet, but this is up to the minute coverage from SCMP..

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...d-mass-protest

It seems like outbound flights cancelled on Monday, flights scheduled to resume Tuesday. It looks like UA180 departed 3 minutes early today and the Tuesday flight is on schedule according to Flight Aware. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL180
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond
ORD - HKG (UA) - NKG (KA) Rebooking due to HKG Protests?

Flying United from ORD - HKG and then KA from HKG - NKG, all on one ticket by United on 8/29. With the current situation in Hong Kong and specifically the Role of Cathay Pacific flight crew in HKG protests, I do not feel comfortable flying CX/KA to mainland. Is it reasonable to request a reroute via PEK or switch to the UA nonstop to PVG for free? If not, what are my options?

thanks in advance!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
United has issued a travel waiver for HKG flights from today (12th) through 15th.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...elnotices.aspx
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm on EWR-HKG today and we're scheduled on time. I was wondering what the alternate airport is for HKG should they close arrivals on Tuesday night? PVG, PEK or TPE? I'm less worried about making it into HKG since arrivals are still open but more worried about making it out of there later in the week.

-RM
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not unless there's a travel waiver issued for HKG. And the 29th is so far away.

Your options are call UA and ask to be re-routed and pay the difference or wait and see if a waiver is issued.

-RM
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a waiver issued now for HKG. I just got an email from United that says the following:

You may have seen in the news that there’s has been civil unrest in Hong Kong this week. Protest near Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) between August 12th through the 15th, may create travel snarl-ups that we hope you can avoid.
Be sure to give yourself extra time getting to and from the airport. If your travel plans are flexible, you may want to consider flying on a different day or connecting in a different city. The good news is that we'll waive all the change fees, so visit the United app or united.com to check out your options.
Thanks for flying with us!

I'm going to consider CAN or SZX as alternates to get out of HKG should I not be able to fly out as scheduled. Maybe United will help me out but not holding my breath for it.

-RM
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Live view of airport, FWIW:

https://news.now.com/home/live331a

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.