Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any challenges when booking UA metal as LH codeshare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium

I know that there are a lot of threads on booking LH metal as a UA codeshare (or on 016 ticket stock), but is there anything that I need to watch out for if booking a UA metal flight as a LH flight number (and on 220 stock)? I know that GPUs can be a challenge with all codeshares, but I don't have any of those, so it doesn't matter to me. I'm more interested in challenges getting E+ seating and/or checking in for the flight. Basically I want to do DEN-FRA-DEN with LH flight/metal outbound and LH flight/UA metal on the return all on 220 stock so I can hopefully bid on a PE upgrade on the outbound. My general policy has been to avoid codeshares at all times, but I recently tried to book LH flight/metal on outbound and UA flight/metal on the return and my corporate travel plated it on 016 stock, so I don't think that I can bid on an upgrade on the LH flight. I'm hoping that booking it as I described previously will get them to plate it on 220 stock and help me out on the bidding part.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Lufthansa refuses to accept my mileage plus number, online or in person, so if you have the same issue that may pose a challenge in various ways.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
Lufthansa refuses to accept my mileage plus number, online or in person, so if you have the same issue that may pose a challenge in various ways.
Is this all the time, or just when you are on LH flight/UA metal?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never had an issue with my 1K status being recognized by UA when booked on a LH ticket.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA plays pretty nicely with OAL codeshares on its own metal.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
UA plays pretty nicely with OAL codeshares on its own metal.
I think that this is why there aren't many threads on it. It doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I just wanted to confirm.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Air India Maharaja Club, Lufthansa FT, Jet Airways Platinum, Hilton Gold
Never had an issue. Fly a lot of LH/UA mixed tickets. Sometimes 016 stock, sometimes 220 stock. LH has recognized my number and status too on all occasions. Wife is a UA Gold and even got upgraded on our last LX (SWISS, LH Owned) International flight at the gate - Presumably no M&M elites on the flight?
If you call UA, regardless of ticket stock, they can give you whatever you want on UA metal based on your UA status.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tods27
Is this all the time, or just when you are on LH flight/UA metal?
100% for all LH ticketed or LH operated flights. Neither side has any idea what's going on.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
100% for all LH ticketed or LH operated flights. Neither side has any idea what's going on.
Seems like a specific issue. I've never had any problems with LH recognizing my UA number.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:23 pm

1 out of 5 times LH won't recognize my 1K status and instead marks me as UAP instead of UA*G. Happens on both UA and LH flight numbers when on LH metal. Called LH and UA and they point fingers at one another. I've learned to live with it.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
1 out of 5 times LH won't recognize my 1K status and instead marks me as UAP instead of UA*G. Happens on both UA and LH flight numbers when on LH metal. Called LH and UA and they point fingers at one another. I've learned to live with it.
UAP is no different from UA*G. Never had an issue with UAP getting SAG benefits.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
I recently tried to book LH flight/metal on outbound and UA flight/metal on the return and my corporate travel plated it on 016 stock, so I don't think that I can bid on an upgrade on the LH flight.
Is this certain? Another thread/poster indicated this is possible. I know the LH website says “not booked on LH.com” for 016 reservations and this limits a lot of functionality. Does anyone have any first hand experience or knowledge of if it’s possible to bid for upgrade on LH flight/metal on 016 stock?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

Is this certain? Another thread/poster indicated this is possible. I know the LH website says “not booked on LH.com” for 016 reservations and this limits a lot of functionality. Does anyone have any first hand experience or knowledge of if it’s possible to bid for upgrade on LH flight/metal on 016 stock?
I've seen a few reports of people being able to, and oliver2002 has posted that you can do it, but I don't see the link in my reservation on LH.com This page says that it must be on a "Lufthansa Document".
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've seen a few reports of people being able to, and oliver2002 has posted that you can do it, but I don't see the link in my reservation on LH.com.
I am in the same boat as you about 40 days out from the leg. It has been offering me a cash buy-up for about 2 weeks now that has not fluctuated and is too much for my liking. I keep checking every day or so just to see if anything changes and will report back if so.
This is an attempt to get from a Business (P) fare to F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.