Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Moving on from being loyal to UA/Star (or any airline)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving on from being loyal to UA/Star (or any airline)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Even though I am a 1K and have been for a few years, I would say that loyalty for the sake of benefit is not worth it. Fly what you need to fly, and have CCs that add benefits. I will keep the UC club card as long as I fly a nice amount of domestic UA. But I won't fly UA unless it makes sense for route and cost (and in my experience is increasingly priced well over the alternatives, for international), or I can get an international upgrade, which has gotten much harder. I fly what is best for me, and if that makes me an elite on an airline, it does. I like the Amex not only for Centurion and PP, but also for the airline and uber credits, plus 5x on travel.

By the way, I've seen SRO UCs and Centurions, but never been denied entry. But I've seen lounges turning PP people away a lot at some airports and times.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info, guys!

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Even though I am a 1K and have been for a few years, I would say that loyalty for the sake of benefit is not worth it. Fly what you need to fly, and have CCs that add benefits.
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I fly what is best for me, and if that makes me an elite on an airline, it does.
I was starting to think this way and, based on some of the responses and info I've seen on this thread, I feel this way even more.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I tend to agree also - "loyalty" is only good if it means always choosing the same carrier from among equal options, or maybe paying a little bit more for the consistency and the status.
worldwidedreamer and evergrn like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by findark
I tend to agree also - "loyalty" is only good if it means always choosing the same carrier from among equal options, or maybe paying a little bit more for the consistency and the status.
For example, I would fly several more long haul J flights with UA each year if PZ were available (even on one leg), or, barring that, if it were the cheapest J option. But neither has been the case about half the time I look. 1K is nice, but not nice enough to spend thousand more to get it if I can hardly use more than one or two GPUs for international at booking (and I will not waitlist).
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by findark
And remember that for most airlines loyalty is one-sided and transactional. After all most are more driven by profitable sales of virtual currency to banks versus the sometimes loss making act of actually throwing tubes through the sky.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I gave up on being blindly loyal right about the time I hit 1MM and got Gold for life. I only really fly about 25K/year, so I'm not going to get any higher status. I do find that I am willing to fly WN a decent amount if they have a better schedule and have occasionally picked up a DL or AA flight. With the new earning rules on UA, I don't earn at that fast of a rate and now with the dynamic award pricing, I just don't see being that loyal. I do prefer UA solely due to E+ and ability to get exit row seats (and lounge access on int'l flights) and I figure that spreading across too many airlines pretty much dilutes you points. For credit cards, we moved to Chase (Freedom Unlimited and CSR) as those are much more flexible than trying to use UA points. I have also realized that the days of using miles for premium cabins are dwindling for me, so I'm not that worried.
evergrn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.