Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WHY is UA 960 cancelled today (1 Aug 2019)? Rescheduled as UA2827?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WHY is UA 960 cancelled today (1 Aug 2019)? Rescheduled as UA2827?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Gold
I was supposed to be on UA 960 as well (coming in from a regional airport). Got the cancellation and auto-rebooking to 2827 notice, but with a total CF of a seat map scramble. Threw me out of my Polaris seat and to the back of E-. UA phone rep said it was under airport control so they couldn’t do anything about it. Asked again when I checked in at the regional airport, same response. They told me to check with a gate agent once at EWR.

Any chance I’ll get my Polaris seat back? Originally purchased R fare, then took a very reasonable UG offer about 8 weeks ago which rebooked into P. No status if it matters.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
There's no weather reason the flight should be delayed today. It's nice and sunny though a bit humid in NJ today.
It is a misconception that the cause of WX delays is based on the weather report at a particular airport.

I was recently WX due to a very long string of thunderstorms a couple of hundred miles west of IAD -- there was no reasonable rerouting to IAD and IAD was bright and sunny.

Additionally, crews or aircraft can be delayed due to weather at other airports leading to the delays out of EWR. It is not as simplistic as looking out the window to understand the issue.
jsloan, wrp96, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fasttrak7
Any chance I’ll get my Polaris seat back? Originally purchased R fare, then took a very reasonable UG offer about 8 weeks ago which rebooked into P. No status if it matters.
At a minimum, you have the right to fly in PE or to get a refund of the fare difference from PE to Y. However, I'd expect them to honor (or refund) the upgrade as well.

That said, you should be proactive. You need to do some searches and look to see what seats remain. If there is space available up front, ask to be seated there. If not, and you're willing to re-route, look for an alternate routing, preferably on UA, that has space available, and ask to be moved to that. If the only space remaining is on a partner airline, you can ask about business, but UA may only be willing to seat you in PE.
IADdelayed likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
At a minimum, you have the right to fly in PE or to get a refund of the fare difference from PE to Y. However, I'd expect them to honor (or refund) the upgrade as well.
It was INVOL so refunding the upgrade if OP doesn't fly in J is contractual.

I would expect them to rebook you positive space on UA metal in J, or positive space PE on other airlines with a bit of pushing. I think J on another airline is a lot to ask for, but you should get the upgrade refunded if you don't fly.
IADdelayed likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
It was INVOL so refunding the upgrade if OP doesn't fly in J is contractual.
Yes, I think I equivocated too much. You phrased it better than I did.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Strange they booted you. I had her check the seatmap and she is still assigned the same seat she was assigned on 960, albeit a coach seat to start with 😂.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Strange they booted you. I had her check the seatmap and she is still assigned the same seat she was assigned on 960, albeit a coach seat to start with 😂.
Sounds like she got lucky. But yeah, it was weird. It moved me a couple times, first from 7L to 3L, then way back to E- For a while it showed the aircraft being switched to a 748 - that’s when I knew something was really off.

Got it straightened out at EWR, although did lose my original seat. The ladies at the Polaris lounge claimed they don’t know why 960 was cancelled either. Seems nobody at UA is willing to say.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

She is at the gate now and 2827 is delayed. She asked to be rebooked on LX 19, but gate agent said it’s not possible for him to do it and she would have to go to a service center. The current 25 min delay is still OK, but I fear rolling delays. Wish UA would have allowed rebooking earlier and saved us all this headache as i’m awake at 3am dealing with it now.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
She is at the gate now and 2827 is delayed. She asked to be rebooked on LX 19, but gate agent said it’s not possible for him to do it and she would have to go to a service center. The current 25 min delay is still OK, but I fear rolling delays. Wish UA would have allowed rebooking earlier and saved us all this headache as i’m awake at 3am dealing with it now.
I'm guessing it's the turnaround time from the plane as it just came in from TLV. I don't think there should be much more of a delay.

With the flight this close to being scheduled to depart, I don't think you're going to get any change unless another delay gets posted, and only if that affects the minimum connection time in FRA.

Originally Posted by fasttrak7
I was supposed to be on UA 960 as well (coming in from a regional airport). Got the cancellation and auto-rebooking to 2827 notice, but with a total CF of a seat map scramble. Threw me out of my Polaris seat and to the back of E-. UA phone rep said it was under airport control so they couldn’t do anything about it. Asked again when I checked in at the regional airport, same response. They told me to check with a gate agent once at EWR.

Any update fasttrak? Curious to see how it played out for you.
IADdelayed likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

35m to the new delayed scheduled departure time and they haven’t started boarding yet so i’m worried my rolling delay fears may be on point.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - I was able to get it straightened out and back into Polaris, although the new BP in the app reverted back to R fare class. Weird.

They’ve overbooked and are now asking the VDB’s to come forward. They’ve catered the flight now, so pretty sure they’re not planning on cancelling it.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:25 pm

35m to the new delayed scheduled departure time and they haven’t started boarding yet so i’m worried my rolling delay fears may be on point.
I'm assuming the connection is LH1060 at 1240pm? There's another flight LH1064 4 hours later. Maybe that + some EU 261 compensation and it's not all that bad?

Last edited by BThumme; Aug 1, 2019 at 7:30 pm
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Now offering $1,500 to volunteers to VDB
BThumme likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
I'm assuming the connection is LH1060 at 1240pm? There's another flight LH1064 4 hours later. Maybe that + some EU 261 compensation and it's not all that bad?
No EC.261 compensation for a flight from the US to Europe on a US carrier.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:29 pm

Now offering $1,500 to volunteers to VDB
If they do need volunteers, I'm willing to bet UA could go wayyyyyyy higher. Like at least $3k. Lots of similar reports on TATLs on the VDB thread. I'd have her go up and ask for 3k if she can be somewhat flexible.

Originally Posted by jsloan
No EC.261 compensation for a flight from the US to Europe on a US carrier.
You're right, no comp since it's a us carrier ex usa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.