Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WHY is UA 960 cancelled today (1 Aug 2019)? Rescheduled as UA2827?

WHY is UA 960 cancelled today (1 Aug 2019)? Rescheduled as UA2827?

Old Aug 1, 19, 9:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,516
WHY is UA 960 cancelled today (1 Aug 2019)? Rescheduled as UA2827?

my gf is supposed to travel on that flight. Now scrambling to find a rebooking option so she makes connex to NCE. Reason for canellation?
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 9:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Carolina
Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Posts: 884
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
my gf is supposed to travel on that flight. Now scrambling to find a rebooking option so she makes connex to NCE. Reason for canellation?
All the flight status shows is:

"We're sorry to let you know that your flight (UA 960) on Aug.1st has been canceled because of a schedule disruption caused by a change in our operations today."

Possibly fallout from all the east coast issues yesterday due to the weather? From the reports I saw, it was not a good day from DC all the way up to Boston for the airlines yesterday.
drowelf is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 9:40 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,516
They put her on UA 2827 with a 1h40m connection time at FRA which should be enough IF this replacement fight happens and isn’t further delayed. Can I demand UA rebook her on a partner with flights arriving at a similar time? They are saying because the new flight theoretically gives her enough time, no change
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 9:47 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,538
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Can I demand UA rebook her on a partner with flights arriving at a similar time?
You can't "demand" anything. You can ask. If you phrase it as a demand, you'll get nowhere.
jsloan is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 9:48 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,516
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
You can't "demand" anything. You can ask. If you phrase it as a demand, you'll get nowhere.
😂, don’t focus on the semantics man...the point is, can this reasonably be expected in these circumstances or would it be something no agent would do.
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 9:52 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,256
Okay, that's just weird... they canceled 960 and scheduled the same frame to operate as an extra section 2827 just two hours later. Why they didn't just delay is beyond me.

You can try to ask for a partner routing, but UA is not obliged to provide since they have rebooked on UA metal, and it seems like the new routing is perfectly reasonable. 1h40 is plenty of time to connect at FRA, so seems unlikely an agent would do anything else unless you can come up with a good reason. N16009 is on its way from TLV and should make the extra section just fine.
jsloan and nancypants like this.
findark is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 9:58 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,516
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Okay, that's just weird... they canceled 960 and scheduled the same frame to operate as an extra section 2827 just two hours later. Why they didn't just delay is beyond me.

You can try to ask for a partner routing, but UA is not obliged to provide since they have rebooked on UA metal, and it seems like the new routing is perfectly reasonable. 1h40 is plenty of time to connect at FRA, so seems unlikely an agent would do anything else unless you can come up with a good reason. N16009 is on its way from TLV and should make the extra section just fine.
yea 1h40 is plenty of time IF it goes on time. I just worry about further delays or this replacement flight being cancelled since something seems off.
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 10:00 am
  #8  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,471
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Okay, that's just weird... they canceled 960 and scheduled the same frame to operate as an extra section 2827 just two hours later. Why they didn't just delay is beyond me.

You can try to ask for a partner routing, but UA is not obliged to provide since they have rebooked on UA metal, and it seems like the new routing is perfectly reasonable. 1h40 is plenty of time to connect at FRA, so seems unlikely an agent would do anything else unless you can come up with a good reason. N16009 is on its way from TLV and should make the extra section just fine.
Perhaps operationally it's easier to reschedule all the connections with a cancellation, and adding flexibility of rescheduling 10 hours ahead, instead of dumping all the work for the UA staff at FRA.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 10:02 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,256
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Perhaps operationally it's easier to reschedule all the connections with a cancellation, and adding flexibility of rescheduling 10 hours ahead, instead of dumping all the work for the UA staff at FRA.
They could post the delay with just as much advance warning and wouldn't have to dump pax (probably with a seatmap scramble) onto an extra section. That and carriers really care about their completion statistic, see all the 20+ hour delays just to avoid a cxl going on the record. It's just weird...
jsloan likes this.
findark is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 10:40 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Houston
Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Posts: 934
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post


��, don’t focus on the semantics man...the point is, can this reasonably be expected in these circumstances or would it be something no agent would do.
This has a lot to do with semantics. While you many know the difference, may posters here do not. They are green and when they ask these questions or make that kind of statement, the group here will be sure to set the right expectations and give suggestions.
Collierkr is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:21 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG
Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Posts: 11,982
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
They put her on UA 2827 with a 1h40m connection time at FRA which should be enough IF this replacement fight happens and isn’t further delayed. Can I demand UA rebook her on a partner with flights arriving at a similar time? They are saying because the new flight theoretically gives her enough time, no change
1 hour 40 is plenty of time at FRA. You’re right, it could get delayed and miss a connection. Your original could have been delayed long enough to miss the connections also. There’s no point I ask in what if, especially when there’s not much reason to worry (ie, impending weather that is likely to develop into IRROPS). Life happens and your wife will get to NCE. Hopefully on the original connection. But there are other flights later if she misses it. Sucks if it comes to that, but everyone on here has dealt with it at some point.

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
You can't "demand" anything. You can ask. If you phrase it as a demand, you'll get nowhere.
I disagree slightly - you can ‘demand’ anything, but it doesn’t mean one will get their demand, especially when any re-route is at UAs discretion.

I agree that demanding is rarely (if ever) the right tactic, especially with an airline - I find being nice and phrasing these as requests, using words like please and thank you, smiling, etc. often gets me the outcome I prefer. Not always, but often. If I were the OP, that’s what I’d try.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post


😂, don’t focus on the semantics man...the point is, can this reasonably be expected in these circumstances or would it be something no agent would do.
but the semantics does matter. If you go up to an agent and say in an angry voice ‘put me on LH flight XXX now’, you’re likely to have the agent respond in kind. If they’re really nice, they’ll just say no I can’t, you’ve been rebooked with plenty of layover time, without even looking. At worst, they’ll respond in the same tone. Do you like to have soemone use a demanding tone right off the bat? If you go up and nicely ask something like ‘my flight has been rebooked, but I’d prefer to have a longer layover in FRA, and I see LH has a flight leaving at about the same time as my original, can you see if there is a way to put me on that flight, please’ they are much more likely to give it a shot and see if they can rebook you.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
yea 1h40 is plenty of time IF it goes on time. I just worry about further delays or this replacement flight being cancelled since something seems off.
replacement flights happen all the time, I wouldn’t worry unless there is antrue reason to believe the replacement flight coild be delayed (showing late inbound, expected weather, etc.). Again, if you want something else and ask nicely, and you’re more likely to have the request granted.
jmw and nancypants like this.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:27 am
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 88,329
Originally Posted by findark View Post
They could post the delay with just as much advance warning and wouldn't have to dump pax (probably with a seatmap scramble) onto an extra section. That and carriers really care about their completion statistic, see all the 20+ hour delays just to avoid a cxl going on the record. It's just weird...
I suspect that they wanted the current UA 960 passengers to have lower priority (or not all automatically get seats) for space on the special section flight, perhaps because there are stranded passengers from earlier IROPs that should take precedence over nonstatus travlers on UA 960. If the flight number is cancelled, they won't owe VDB/IDB compensation to anyone who isn't confirmed on the special section.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:32 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,538
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
I disagree slightly - you can ‘demand’ anything, but it doesn’t mean one will get their demand, especially when any re-route is at UAs discretion.
OK, fair, but in context, I think "demand" implied "demand successfully."

OP: Collierkr is correct, BTW. Even if you really meant "how likely is UA to accommodate this request," threads like this end up getting read by other people who may not understand that nuance. You end up with frustrated passengers yelling at gate agents because they didn't get what they believed they deserved... based on reading a post where the wording was unclear.
jsloan is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:39 am
  #14  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 50,561
The simplest answer -- if UA believes they can deliver the passenger in time for the connection, UA is going to focus on the UA based solution they have in place. Being concerned that there maybe, might be a delay, that might create a problem, is not likely to get a positive reception or a chance to a partner flight.
nancypants likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:39 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Trenton NJ
Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Posts: 1,954
There's no weather reason the flight should be delayed today. It's nice and sunny though a bit humid in NJ today.
Bluehen1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: