Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WHY is UA 960 cancelled today (1 Aug 2019)? Rescheduled as UA2827?

Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

my gf is supposed to travel on that flight. Now scrambling to find a rebooking option so she makes connex to NCE. Reason for canellation?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
my gf is supposed to travel on that flight. Now scrambling to find a rebooking option so she makes connex to NCE. Reason for canellation?
All the flight status shows is:

"We're sorry to let you know that your flight (UA 960) on Aug.1st has been canceled because of a schedule disruption caused by a change in our operations today."

Possibly fallout from all the east coast issues yesterday due to the weather? From the reports I saw, it was not a good day from DC all the way up to Boston for the airlines yesterday.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

They put her on UA 2827 with a 1h40m connection time at FRA which should be enough IF this replacement fight happens and isn’t further delayed. Can I demand UA rebook her on a partner with flights arriving at a similar time? They are saying because the new flight theoretically gives her enough time, no change
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I demand UA rebook her on a partner with flights arriving at a similar time?
You can't "demand" anything. You can ask. If you phrase it as a demand, you'll get nowhere.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
You can't "demand" anything. You can ask. If you phrase it as a demand, you'll get nowhere.
😂, don’t focus on the semantics man...the point is, can this reasonably be expected in these circumstances or would it be something no agent would do.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Okay, that's just weird... they canceled 960 and scheduled the same frame to operate as an extra section 2827 just two hours later. Why they didn't just delay is beyond me.

You can try to ask for a partner routing, but UA is not obliged to provide since they have rebooked on UA metal, and it seems like the new routing is perfectly reasonable. 1h40 is plenty of time to connect at FRA, so seems unlikely an agent would do anything else unless you can come up with a good reason. N16009 is on its way from TLV and should make the extra section just fine.
jsloan and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
Okay, that's just weird... they canceled 960 and scheduled the same frame to operate as an extra section 2827 just two hours later. Why they didn't just delay is beyond me.

You can try to ask for a partner routing, but UA is not obliged to provide since they have rebooked on UA metal, and it seems like the new routing is perfectly reasonable. 1h40 is plenty of time to connect at FRA, so seems unlikely an agent would do anything else unless you can come up with a good reason. N16009 is on its way from TLV and should make the extra section just fine.
yea 1h40 is plenty of time IF it goes on time. I just worry about further delays or this replacement flight being cancelled since something seems off.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

Perhaps operationally it's easier to reschedule all the connections with a cancellation, and adding flexibility of rescheduling 10 hours ahead, instead of dumping all the work for the UA staff at FRA.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Perhaps operationally it's easier to reschedule all the connections with a cancellation, and adding flexibility of rescheduling 10 hours ahead, instead of dumping all the work for the UA staff at FRA.
They could post the delay with just as much advance warning and wouldn't have to dump pax (probably with a seatmap scramble) onto an extra section. That and carriers really care about their completion statistic, see all the 20+ hour delays just to avoid a cxl going on the record. It's just weird...
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

��, don’t focus on the semantics man...the point is, can this reasonably be expected in these circumstances or would it be something no agent would do.
This has a lot to do with semantics. While you many know the difference, may posters here do not. They are green and when they ask these questions or make that kind of statement, the group here will be sure to set the right expectations and give suggestions.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
They put her on UA 2827 with a 1h40m connection time at FRA which should be enough IF this replacement fight happens and isn’t further delayed. Can I demand UA rebook her on a partner with flights arriving at a similar time? They are saying because the new flight theoretically gives her enough time, no change
1 hour 40 is plenty of time at FRA. You’re right, it could get delayed and miss a connection. Your original could have been delayed long enough to miss the connections also. There’s no point I ask in what if, especially when there’s not much reason to worry (ie, impending weather that is likely to develop into IRROPS). Life happens and your wife will get to NCE. Hopefully on the original connection. But there are other flights later if she misses it. Sucks if it comes to that, but everyone on here has dealt with it at some point.

Originally Posted by jsloan
I disagree slightly - you can ‘demand’ anything, but it doesn’t mean one will get their demand, especially when any re-route is at UAs discretion.

I agree that demanding is rarely (if ever) the right tactic, especially with an airline - I find being nice and phrasing these as requests, using words like please and thank you, smiling, etc. often gets me the outcome I prefer. Not always, but often. If I were the OP, that’s what I’d try.

😂, don’t focus on the semantics man...the point is, can this reasonably be expected in these circumstances or would it be something no agent would do.
but the semantics does matter. If you go up to an agent and say in an angry voice ‘put me on LH flight XXX now’, you’re likely to have the agent respond in kind. If they’re really nice, they’ll just say no I can’t, you’ve been rebooked with plenty of layover time, without even looking. At worst, they’ll respond in the same tone. Do you like to have soemone use a demanding tone right off the bat? If you go up and nicely ask something like ‘my flight has been rebooked, but I’d prefer to have a longer layover in FRA, and I see LH has a flight leaving at about the same time as my original, can you see if there is a way to put me on that flight, please’ they are much more likely to give it a shot and see if they can rebook you.

yea 1h40 is plenty of time IF it goes on time. I just worry about further delays or this replacement flight being cancelled since something seems off.
replacement flights happen all the time, I wouldn’t worry unless there is antrue reason to believe the replacement flight coild be delayed (showing late inbound, expected weather, etc.). Again, if you want something else and ask nicely, and you’re more likely to have the request granted.
jmw and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They could post the delay with just as much advance warning and wouldn't have to dump pax (probably with a seatmap scramble) onto an extra section. That and carriers really care about their completion statistic, see all the 20+ hour delays just to avoid a cxl going on the record. It's just weird...
I suspect that they wanted the current UA 960 passengers to have lower priority (or not all automatically get seats) for space on the special section flight, perhaps because there are stranded passengers from earlier IROPs that should take precedence over nonstatus travlers on UA 960. If the flight number is cancelled, they won't owe VDB/IDB compensation to anyone who isn't confirmed on the special section.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I disagree slightly - you can ‘demand’ anything, but it doesn’t mean one will get their demand, especially when any re-route is at UAs discretion.
OK, fair, but in context, I think "demand" implied "demand successfully."

OP: Collierkr is correct, BTW. Even if you really meant "how likely is UA to accommodate this request," threads like this end up getting read by other people who may not understand that nuance. You end up with frustrated passengers yelling at gate agents because they didn't get what they believed they deserved... based on reading a post where the wording was unclear.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The simplest answer -- if UA believes they can deliver the passenger in time for the connection, UA is going to focus on the UA based solution they have in place. Being concerned that there maybe, might be a delay, that might create a problem, is not likely to get a positive reception or a chance to a partner flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
There's no weather reason the flight should be delayed today. It's nice and sunny though a bit humid in NJ today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.