Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tight Connection in HKG - Denied Boarding Because Bags Misconnect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tight Connection in HKG - Denied Boarding Because Bags Misconnect

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, I believe CX would have access to the relevant information, including the booking code and the fact that the underlying coupon was for economy class travel.
Yes, they will.

In this situation, the reissuing airline has to take control of the original ticket and do an exchange; it's the only way they can end up getting paid for the flight. That includes all of the information about fares paid. (If you'll recall, until they shut off access when UA stopped allowing interline tickets, the Saudia site used to allow anyone to look up UA tickets and get the full fare construction -- it was a great tool when you needed to go back and look up fare rules).
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, they will.

In this situation, the reissuing airline has to take control of the original ticket and do an exchange; it's the only way they can end up getting paid for the flight. That includes all of the information about fares paid. (If you'll recall, until they shut off access when UA stopped allowing interline tickets, the Saudia site used to allow anyone to look up UA tickets and get the full fare construction -- it was a great tool when you needed to go back and look up fare rules).
I think it's an interesting question as to whether the R -> PZ switch changed things, since in my experience any inter-system communication uses a single character for rbd and so partner systems always see the ticket validated in P, which is a revenue class. Of course they can see the fare basis as well, but I think they're more likely to preserve the P class coupon than when it was in R, which was a known award/non-earning class.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Of course they can see the fare basis as well, but I think they're more likely to preserve the P class coupon than when it was in R, which was a known award/non-earning class.
IME CX agents at HKG are very sharp, much more so than we are used to with US carriers. I would expect they were fully aware this was an upgraded ticket.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
IME CX agents at HKG are very sharp, much more so than we are used to with US carriers. I would expect they were fully aware this was an upgraded ticket.
I will verify, but I believe CX knew it was an upgrade. They didn't upgrade the intra-US leg because her upgrade hadn't yet cleared on the equivalent flight on the original itinerary.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by OhioExile
They didn't upgrade the intra-US leg because her upgrade hadn't yet cleared on the equivalent flight on the original itinerary.
And they would have had to pay the US carrier for a first class ticket, whereas they could simply allocate her an empty J seat on their metal.

Again, the underlying coupon was for economy travel, which would have been evident to whoever handled the rebooking.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Because when the boarding pass conflicts with the contract of carriage, the latter wins.
Says who?

You can't put one thing in an obvious spot, then bury something else in a contract of adhesion, then try and enforce the latter.

If the thing you hand the passenger says 15, then it's 15.
chavala likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by raehl311
You can't put one thing in an obvious spot, then bury something else in a contract of adhesion, then try and enforce the latter.

As a matter of contract law, that is 100% incorrect.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
Says who?

I was just thinking about this thread. A couple weeks ago in HKG they actually put a bright yellow sticker on my BP saying I need to be at the gate at least 15 minutes before boarding.
So if that’s not true, what’s the point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.