Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tight Connection in HKG - Denied Boarding Because Bags Misconnect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tight Connection in HKG - Denied Boarding Because Bags Misconnect

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by OhioExile
The difference between the UA and CX staff at HKG in this instance is stark; UA didn't put her in a seat they had available and with plenty of time to board; CX upgraded her to J even though they didn't need to.
This is where I am on defense.

Policy-wide, UA did not appear to have made an incorrect decision for IDB. Other than other hand, when KA screwed up, assuming the delay is within KA's control, CX/KA does have a responsibility to rebook. Even it is an upgrade, the pax is still a confirmed J customer. I would have to argue that what CX has done is fair, but necessary.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by garykung
Even it is an upgrade, the pax is still a confirmed J customer. I would have to argue that what CX has done is fair, but necessary.
The rebooking obligation was in economy. CX went way above and beyond.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by allleisure
It has been some time since this thread opened and at the last posing of the OP, the subject is apparently stuck in LAX, much like Charlie on the MTA. For those of us who are not Agatha Christie fans and do not love a mystery, will the OP please fill us in on the resolution of this aviator’s soap opera. Did the friend make it to her destination? Was she reunited with her bags? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
So my friend made it to her destination. She is not the type to follow up on these things, but I am working with her to get her ORC, refund of upgrade on UA (we'll see how that goes), as well as her miles on AA and DL for the other legs. There will also be a complaint to UA explaining the issue; I will post once they respond.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes; I was so irate about this because I assumed she'd be flying in economy; I had stalked the ORD flight 1.5 hours later to see what J availability was there; the last time I checked it still had some, but then the issue became OBE when CX booked her in J. CX most definitely went above and beyond.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
Also, regarding the checked-bag reason given by the GA, isn't it possible that this is red herring? Perhaps the GA knew that the real reason was that they closed the flight at T-29 as they are entitled to do, and that in their experience, passengers arriving soon after that time are more likely to accept a security-related-sounding explanation regarding checked bags rather than "T-30 is the rule and you're late," which inevitably in a situation such as this leads to further argument and discussion since "it's not my fault I'm late." That is, perhaps there is no rule regarding checked bags not making it, at HKG or anywhere else, even in this particular GA's mind.
You mean, the GA is so intelligent so they think of a reason that may be more accepted by the customer than the real explanation which is hard to accept but correct? Isn't the simpler explanation the GA was wrong?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by s0ssos
... Isn't the simpler explanation the GA was wrong?
From the data provided by the OP, the denial was within the rules. The passenger missed the T-30 cutoff by 5-10 minutes,
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
From the data provided by the OP, the denial was within the rules. The passenger missed the T-30 cutoff by 5-10 minutes,
yes, sounds like it.

That said, last time I transited HKG CX-UA, we booked a 1:10 minute connection (which was legal at the time, but I don’t think it is anymore). Didn’t think much of it since HKG is pretty efficient, but I also didn’t know that CX would claim they couldn’t check us in on UA segments - heard others at BKK check in arguing as well about this (appears someone upthread claimed now they can); there were almost 2 dozen of us on the CX flight connecting to the UA EWR/ORD flights which both were leaving within a few minutes of each other. CX, of course, lands 20 minutes late, meaning we couldn’t check in online for UA since we were beyond cutoff. CX staff expedites us through to UA transfer desk, who tells everyone else in line they have to wait until they are done checking us all in. Complication that our last UA leg was canceled and rebooked, and they have trouble with whatever they need to do to flag our bags properly for the transfer, they eventually figure out something so that we can handle that in EWR. Run to the gate, and we are the last to board the EWR flight at T-10. There wasn’t an issue on this at all, and the flight was pretty full, though I’d guess because there were so many coming from our flight, they were willing to wait a bit longer than maybe otherwise. On the other hand, I wouldn’t have complained if we had to spend an unplanned day in HKG.

If that was supposed to be the fun part, we landed in EWR early, and then waited 90 minutes (not a typo - 90 minutes) for our bags to come off (last off the plane). During that time, we missed the cutoff to recheck our bags for our re-booked connection, meaning an extra 2+ hours at EWR.

Maybe a a bit more relevant to this thread, but despite arriving in HKG after the baggage cutoff, and probably finishing at the transfer desk with UA at about T-20 or something before the flight, we were never told we couldn’t get on our flight for missing a bag cutoff. I’m guessing that was made up. IIRC, even with PPBM, they are always able to board pax without their bags, so long as it isn’t done (or maybe known) to the pax.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:14 pm

From the discussion it seems the flight in no way had finished boarding, and thus the standard would be to continue with passenger boarding (the passenger was boarding when the scanner beeped)
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
From the discussion it seems the flight in no way had finished boarding, and thus the standard would be to continue with passenger boarding (the passenger was boarding when the scanner beeped)
Since they have the connecting flight info, if they think the pax will misconnect, they will offload (even with boarding still open) if they need the seat. What was odd here was they apparently did not need the seat. Likely just an overzealous GA.
artvandalay and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
From the discussion it seems the flight in no way had finished boarding, ...
That does not change the requirement to be in the boarding area at T-30
,,,(the passenger was boarding when the scanner beeped)
Because they had been off-loaded.

Yes, UA could have made an exception but if the agent does not off-load those not at the gate at T-30, then they will have issues handling the standbys and getting an on-time departure.

As the passenger had a delayed flight and from the GA's point of view it was unlikely the passenger would make the flight - so they were offloaded and the standbys were processed into the now empty seat (likely the ones boarding after T-30) . When the passenger showed up after ab extraordinary effort by KA (wishing to avoid have to take ownership of the delay) they still arrive after the standbys were being processed. Plus there was the issue the luggage might not have been able to make the transfer.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:28 pm

That does not change the requirement to be in the boarding area at T-30
Because they had been off-loaded.

Yes, UA could have made an exception but if the agent does not off-load those not at the gate at T-30, then they will have issues handling the standbys and getting an on-time departure.

As the passenger had a delayed flight and from the GA's point of view it was unlikely the passenger would make the flight - so they were offloaded and the standbys were processed into the now empty seat (likely the ones boarding after T-30) . When the passenger showed up after ab extraordinary effort by KA (wishing to avoid have to take ownership of the delay) they still arrive after the standbys were being processed. Plus there was the issue the luggage might not have been able to make the transfer.
It seems you are trying to find all the reasons not to load the passenger. As such, it isn't hard. Most people don't follow every single rule to the T.
But if your goal is to help the customer, it doesn't sound like that is the right approach.

The question is whether the GA didn't let the passenger board because it'd require more work. Which is often a reason people do things (like cops let people go, so they don't have to write it up)
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:37 pm

It seems you are trying to find all the reasons not to load the passenger. As such, it isn't hard. Most people don't follow every single rule to the T.
But if your goal is to help the customer, it doesn't sound like that is the right approach. ...
i don't disagree the agent could have gone a bit extra (although there may be more we don't know, as much of the original information has changed) or perhaps the agent was "overzealous" but I disagree with
... Isn't the simpler explanation the GA was wrong?
based on the information presented.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
But if your goal is to help the customer, it doesn't sound like that is the right approach.

The question is whether the GA didn't let the passenger board because it'd require more work. Which is often a reason people do things (like cops let people go, so they don't have to write it up)
I'm not sure how much work it requires. I recently arrived at 6 minutes before departure for an intra-Europe KL flight. I was in J class.

At first, the team of 3 agents including the Senior Agent wanted to send me to a Transfer Desk for rebooking. I told them I had an onward flight the next day, and really needed to get to Zurich; could they please help rebook me because the next flight was less than 2 hours away?

The flight had taken a short delay but boarding had ended. I had been offloaded. But the Senior Agent decided to let me board because the plane was still at the gate (and I assume it was less work than rebooking me). So, offloading can definitely be undone quickly, and its all about what the agent(s) in charge want to do.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I'm not sure how much work it requires. I recently arrived at 6 minutes before departure for an intra-Europe KL flight. I was in J class.

At first, the team of 3 agents including the Senior Agent wanted to send me to a Transfer Desk for rebooking. I told them I had an onward flight the next day, and really needed to get to Zurich; could they please help rebook me because the next flight was less than 2 hours away?

The flight had taken a short delay but boarding had ended. I had been offloaded. But the Senior Agent decided to let me board because the plane was still at the gate (and I assume it was less work than rebooking me). So, offloading can definitely be undone quickly, and its all about what the agent(s) in charge want to do.
I had a case where I missed check in for a bag. That much was obvious, very obvious to me. The agent didn't want to delay the flight (first flight of the day). But she did let us check in our bags, flight was delayed, but we got to our destination (we weren't going to fly without our bags).
Obviously they have a lot of power to do things. Nowadays it seems like they are unlikely to want to help a customer out though. That's just the general attitude and people here accept it
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Would CX have even been aware it was an upgrade?

It was presumably a UA ticket (given the upgrade), not CX. The passenger is holding a J boarding pass, and the system would have shown them in a J class (albeit an upgrade class, but I wouldn't expect a CX agent to know exactly what "PN" means).

CX delivered the passenger late, so it responsible for the rebook. J passenger, so they get rebooked in J.
MSPeconomist and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Would CX have even been aware it was an upgrade?
Yes, I believe CX would have access to the relevant information, including the booking code and the fact that the underlying coupon was for economy class travel.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.