Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways (TG) award booking experiences using UA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Airways (TG) award booking experiences using UA miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chuck1
...They gave me some song and dance about how TG inventory lags and it really isn't open.
HUCA?
You can try but the inventory issue is real -- leads to "phantom inventory" problems
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:39 pm

Seat assignments on TG for award travel

Aloha! Is there a way to get access to seat assignments for TG or Virgin Australia flights that have been booked in business class using United miles? I'm assuming I can call the airlines directly, but I'm hoping there's an easier way that won't involve long wait times on the phone.

Mahalo!
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alenguy
Aloha! Is there a way to get access to seat assignments for TG or Virgin Australia flights that have been booked in business class using United miles? I'm assuming I can call the airlines directly, but I'm hoping there's an easier way that won't involve long wait times on the phone.

Mahalo!
you can get the partner PNRs by looking at your record on the UA site. At least with TG, you can use that to pull up the reservation on the TG site, and should be able to select seats that way. Theoretically, that should also work for Virgin Australia, though I’ve never flown them so not 100% sure how that works.

if not, calling is the way.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 1:32 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The easiest way for TG seat assignment is to go to SAS website😄. I did it last year. Check out TG thread for more info.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by emcampbe
you can get the partner PNRs by looking at your record on the UA site. At least with TG, you can use that to pull up the reservation on the TG site, and should be able to select seats that way. Theoretically, that should also work for Virgin Australia, though I’ve never flown them so not 100% sure how that works.

if not, calling is the way.
I have had better luck with TG's app then their website for seat assignments. Not incredibly intuitive, but eventually get it figured out.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The easiest way for TG seat assignment is to go to SAS website😄. I did it last year. Check out TG thread for more info.
I seem to recall trying that fairly recently and not able to get it to work. TG's app worked for mine. (And made me appreciate United's app just that much more!)
jsloan, SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I seem to recall trying that fairly recently and not able to get it to work. TG's app worked for mine. (And made me appreciate United's app just that much more!)
+1 - the last time we flew to BKK from TYO we used the TG app to get our J seats -- all of the other options didn't work....
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I always email them [email protected] giving name, flight date and ONR and specify which seat I want and they are very good about responding
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
There's always been a trick for TG seat assignment. Years ago it was "use the OZ website." Better than the previous "email the LA ticket office" (which is now long gone).
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:42 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Sometimes there will be an issue where it says you have to fill in further passenger information on the Thai website, but the fields you need to fill out are greyed out. If you call the TG office, they can fix that known bug and then you'll have the ability to change whatever you need on the site. I'm sure some of the other workarounds listed above work just as (if not more) easily.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
I emailed the Thai Airways Los Angeles office and they took care of the request within 24 hours. Super painless. Send your Thai confirmation # or eticket number, full names and desired seats.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
TG app worked for me last year on a UA-issued award ticket in J.
SPN Lifer and mh3265a like this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Anyone booked a TG award recently? Booked one for the first time in years, and unable to select seats on TG (BOM-BKK and BKK-ICN). Don't recall having this problem in the past, but as I said it's been a long time. Do I have to call in?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Sometimes there will be an issue where it says you have to fill in further passenger information on the Thai website, but the fields you need to fill out are greyed out. If you call the TG office, they can fix that known bug and then you'll have the ability to change whatever you need on the site. I'm sure some of the other workarounds listed above work just as (if not more) easily.
My previous most got moved here from another thread because I apparently have bad searching skills, sorry.

This actually appears to be my problem after looking carefully. I don't have a "title" in my reservation, but the field is greyed out. I guess if that were fixed, I'd be able to manage my seats and meals. I've emailed in about the seats, so let's see what happens. Had already tried the website, app, SAS, OZ, and all the other tricks...
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cricketer
This actually appears to be my problem after looking carefully. I don't have a "title" in my reservation, but the field is greyed out.
That is TG's fault, not yours. I just booked an award for my partner on a TG flight (connecting to UA in HKG) and encountered the same issue. This is absolutely a new issue and entirely on TG IT, as the UA segment is ticketed just fine. (I'll note that TG also has added her middle name on to her first name AND put it in the middle name field, so it's in the reservation twice - clearly some glitchiness in how TG is importing the data from UA.) We will probably try calling TG for a seat assignment. Everything else can be cleared up at check-in.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 13, 2023 at 7:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.