Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boozing in the mornin’

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I will open with caveat that there is nothing Puritan about me , coming from North of England of Irish descent I like to that I can hold my in own in the evening with most.
I just can't do the day time (before 4pm) thing with drink, that extends to vacation also ,it makes me dopey and I already have an advantage in that area. I am also twitchy getting into a car and driving which 90%
of the time I do ,
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
I've gotten the dirty look a couple of times. The typical tactic is they take away your wine glass or only offer to refresh your water. I rarely ever drink hard liquor. The wine glasses are thimble sized too.

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD

I’ve heard that anecdotally but have never experienced it myself. I don’t think I’ve ever exceeded 4, but if someone tried to cut me off at 3 I’d be pretty upset. I’m a trained professional.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD

I’ve heard that anecdotally but have never experienced it myself. I don’t think I’ve ever exceeded 4, but if someone tried to cut me off at 3 I’d be pretty upset. I’m a trained professional.
I got cut off at two, once.

I also was once served what appeared to be three whiskeys (full collins glass, no ice).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
All this talk reminds me of one of my finest hours: just days after UA’s domestic F catering was upgraded to include Prosecco in fall 2014, I happened to find myself in seat 1A on a 6am departure BOS>SFO. My first drink order was coffee, but once the food arrived I asked the FA if they had the new bubbly I’d heard about. She brightened and asked if I wanted a glass. “It’s a bit early for me ... let’s start with a mimosa.”

She ducked into the galley and soon I heard the familiar POP of a cork ... she returned a moment later with a perfectly serviceable drink. A bit heavy on the wine, but allowances must be made for bad OJ.

The funny part was I started a trend: after me, I’d say 75% of the cabin also indulged. She went through their entire stock: a modest three bottles. My seatmate had headphones on and was buried in a spreadsheet, oblivious to the increasingly festive atmosphere in the cabin. The third time a cork popped, though, he pulled off one earcup and asked what that sound was.

”That,” I said, “was the sound of coach passengers becoming increasingly jealous.”

A few hours into the flight I was waiting for the lav and chatting with the same FA, when she asked how I had heard about the catering change. “A site called FlyerTalk,” I replied....
Xyzzy, lianluo, DELee and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Wife and I drank all the prosecco by ourselves in F EWR LAS 6:40am flight. . 3/4 the way there, the FA said we need to pick a new drink of choice lol.
NoLaGent, Dublin_rfk and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
LAX is 6:00 am And they start right on the dot
California State Law, 6am-2am.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by fumje
I got cut off at two, once.
Was once cut off at two, when I asked the purser who made a big fuss during the departure announcements that the F lav was exclusively for the use of F class pax, why he wasn't in fact enforcing that as a parade of people passed me (seated in 2E). He took my glass then and there and never spoke to me again.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well I am in the United lounge at LHR, started with Heineken (I know, I know), spicy Bloody Mary, and now Espresso Martini and my intent is to maintain my electrolyte levels using these alone. Whatever an electrolyte balance is. Plus a full English and in about an hour some sausage baps with brown sauce naturally to keep up my carb intake. It's what I call a well balanced diet and a hydration strategy if anyone asks. Which they don't. And on the plane I will mostly be drinking Stella unless they have some fancy craft beer I like the look of.
narvik and LimeyFlyer like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Espresso Martini
Had never even heard of that before.
FT proves once again to be an invaluable source of crucial information!

Cheers!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
Had never even heard of that before.
FT proves once again to be an invaluable source of crucial information!

Cheers!
Oh my, Espesso Martini's, made well, are divine. ^
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by seanp7
Naturally I will now try at my earliest convenience.......in some lounge.....in the mornin'...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seanp7
This.

Need actual espresso and not just espresso vodka. Otherwise it’s a five alarm hangover.
seanp7 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by inar
Travelling YVR-DEN-SJD leaving at 0615am. Do they serve alcohol on-board at that time? Anyone else out there like me wanting a mimosa or a Baileys coffee to get them going in the morning?
North Carolina is also a state that does not serve on Sundays until 1200...it's the state law, so if you are flying out of CLT/RDU or just doing a stop over - if it's Sunday AM, you are out of luck...or whatever your drink of choice is.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I've been at one of the United Clubs at IAH on a Sunday morning, where the bartender started taking orders at least 15 minutes prior to the legal start time, but just lined the drinks up on the bar and we weren't allowed to touch until the clock hit the top of the hour.
seanp7, onthesam and TXJeepGuy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.