Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boozing in the mornin’

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Boozing in the mornin’

Travelling YVR-DEN-SJD leaving at 0615am. Do they serve alcohol on-board at that time? Anyone else out there like me wanting a mimosa or a Baileys coffee to get them going in the morning?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
yes they do.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I’ll occasionally have coffee In my Bailey’s on a 6am flight out of Las Vegas.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
^
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have seen guys drinking doubles on 6 am flights. In fact I might have been one of those guys
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
No issue on board though I believe some United Clubs may not serve alcohol on Sunday morning?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:42 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by inar
Travelling YVR-DEN-SJD leaving at 0615am. Do they serve alcohol on-board at that time? Anyone else out there like me wanting a mimosa or a Baileys coffee to get them going in the morning?

assuming you're in first:
ac: "no no no i'll explain to you the law, we have laws, blablabla". i don't think ac ever does pdb beyond water on domestic flights.
ua: ask for a pre departure beverage (if they don't offer) and they'll make you anything.

then both airlines have booze during service.

i normally get double vodka soda in the am for my PDB and they don't judge. i asked for this on ac in the morning once (before i knew their dumb rule) and i was definitely judged. flying sucks and that's one thing to help me get thru 1k amounts of flying, 3/5 of which is in Y. if you have never had a drink in the am have you ever really traveled?

the bars at the united clubs in den open very early, i had drinks around 0800, which is normal in most lounges around the world.
Originally Posted by bdw1120
No issue on board though I believe some United Clubs may not serve alcohol on Sunday morning?
can confirm that's the case in texas due to tabc. don't think that is in colorado.

Last edited by cur; Jul 20, 2019 at 6:49 pm
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning...
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
I look at airports and airplanes as “judgement free zones.” They have no idea what time zone my body is set to. 7am? Nope! 5pm. Vodka-o-clock. There is a FA I’ve had a few times on the early morning SFO-EWR runs who takes tremendous pride in the Bloody Mary he makes in the mornings. Brings his own kit on the plane. You get Worcestershire, celery salt, the whole nine yards. Huge fan.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cur
assuming you're in first:
ac: "no no no i'll explain to you the law, we have laws, blablabla". i don't think ac ever does pdb beyond water on domestic flights.
ua: ask for a pre departure beverage (if they don't offer) and they'll make you anything.

then both airlines have booze during service.

i normally get double vodka soda in the am for my PDB and they don't judge. i asked for this on ac in the morning once (before i knew their dumb rule) and i was definitely judged. flying sucks and that's one thing to help me get thru 1k amounts of flying, 3/5 of which is in Y. if you have never had a drink in the am have you ever really traveled?

the bars at the united clubs in den open very early, i had drinks around 0800, which is normal in most lounges around the world.

can confirm that's the case in texas due to tabc. don't think that is in colorado.
@cur
AC serves the faux bubbles (Prosecco) in J at the crack of dawn but only on the PLH transcon wide bodies (eg. YYZ-LAX/SFO/YVR etc). I find even the Prosecco to be helpful in waking up when boarding at 06:15 As for "the law" well, yes and no, as you know. Kind of nanny-states Ontario and BC don't allow liquor to be sold as in bars, before 11am (although wow, Ontario might be moving to 9am departure for that), thus the reason no bubbles or beer etc in the Maple Leaf lounges before 11:00. Montreal is wide open because Quebec is more civilized.

As for onboard, taxes is the reason AC doesn't serve the real bubbles PDB like others do.

If UA booze o'clock ex-YVR is crack of dawn, then someone is very lucky.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 24left
AC serves the faux bubbles (Prosecco)
There's nothing faux about it. It's sparkling wine, just like cava, asti, crémant, sekt, espumante, or champagne.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There's nothing faux about it. It's sparkling wine, just like cava, asti, crémant, sekt, espumante, or champagne.
Call me fussy then.
cur and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:15 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I sometimes cut the coffee and just go for a double Bailey if I might take a nap on an early flight.

Originally Posted by bdw1120
Originally Posted by cur
Same at the Polaris in IAH. No alcohol before 7 AM during the week.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mr8

Same at the Polaris in IAH. No alcohol before 7 AM during the week.
Noon on sundays and 7am all other days for the Texas united and Polaris clubs.

I am actually pretty certain they could give out the free stuff if they wanted as the law only restricts “sales”, but they do not.
RoyalFlush and leiserom like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
Call me fussy then.
Prosecco is certainly less faux than American “champagne”. Also, rather nicer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.