Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boozing in the mornin’

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:35 pm

Your 6am might be my 6pm by the time I get on your flight. No judgements either way, unless you are Macabus in which case I am in awe.

Last edited by #10; Jul 20, 2019 at 11:45 pm Reason: link
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
The old rule of "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" is especially true on planes that pass through different time zones.

Also, interesting at EWR, the UA clubs in Terminal A are in a Essex County while the UA clubs / Polaris Lounge in Terminal C are in Union County, causing these lounges to have different laws governing their ability to serve.
RoyalFlush, lupine, mdbe and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Also, interesting at EWR, the UA clubs in Terminal A are in a Essex County while the UA clubs / Polaris Lounge in Terminal C are in Union County, causing these lounges to have different laws governing their ability to serve.

(bolding mine)

Are you sure that is still current information?
I thought with Bill 2419 (which I believe passed), they modified how and when they can serve alcohol at EWR and made it uniform throughout the airport.

They now serve alcohol early on Sunday at the UC and Polaris lounge.....I know this for sure!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

I thought with Bill 2419 (which I believe passed), they modified how and when they can serve alcohol at EWR and made it uniform throughout the airport.

They now serve alcohol early on Sunday at the UC and Polaris lounge.....I know this for sure!

This bill allows bars and restaurants operating within an international airport to sell alcoholic beverages between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. In general, a municipality may establish by ordinance the hours during which alcoholic beverages may be sold for consumption on the premises. This bill establishes extended hours of sale for retail licensees operating an establishment located within an international airport.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
This bill allows bars and restaurants operating within an international airport to sell alcoholic beverages between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. In general, a municipality may establish by ordinance the hours during which alcoholic beverages may be sold for consumption on the premises. This bill establishes extended hours of sale for retail licensees operating an establishment located within an international airport.
The bill is here.

Interestingly, assemblyman Tim Eustace had originally proposed 6am, so not sure why the Bill states 8am. Wonder what they ACTUALLY passed, in the end.
I really need to hit the Polaris lounge at EWR at 7am and see if I can get a Bloody Mary!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
The bill is here.

Interestingly, assemblyman Tim Eustace had originally proposed 6am, so not sure why the Bill states 8am. Wonder what they ACTUALLY passed, in the end.
I really need to hit the Polaris lounge at EWR at 7am and see if I can get a Bloody Mary!
my last flight came in from Buenos Aires at 5:50 AM and after clearing ( global entry) I was having a few bloody Mary's so it Has to be before 8 AM
narvik and LAX_BillyJoe like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by cur
assuming you're in first:
ac: "no no no i'll explain to you the law, we have laws, blablabla". i don't think ac ever does pdb beyond water on domestic flights.
ua: ask for a pre departure beverage (if they don't offer) and they'll make you anything.

then both airlines have booze during service.

i normally get double vodka soda in the am for my PDB and they don't judge. i asked for this on ac in the morning once (before i knew their dumb rule) and i was definitely judged. flying sucks and that's one thing to help me get thru 1k amounts of flying, 3/5 of which is in Y. if you have never had a drink in the am have you ever really traveled?

the bars at the united clubs in den open very early, i had drinks around 0800, which is normal in most lounges around the world.

can confirm that's the case in texas due to tabc. don't think that is in colorado.
Could not get a Sunday morning drink in the club in EWR. So, other states as well.

EDIT: this was the delta Crown Room in March of this year.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by phkc070408
The old rule of "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" is especially true on planes that pass through different time zones.

Just a potential Jeopardy Q/A correction . Your counties are reversed. Terminal C is most northern at the airport which is Essex County 'Newark' vs.Terminal A is most southern which is Union County 'Elizabeth'.
One can validate by looking at the taxi queue for each terminal. Terminal A are white cabs for Elizabeth vs. Terminal C which have yellow cabs for Newark. Still a great factoid!

Reference - https://libguides.rutgers.edu/ld.php...nt_id=37356503

On the topic of laws - EWR Airport is a cash cow on taxes, & fees for Port Authority and counties so couldn't imagine politicians would do anything to restrict passenger volumes.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Bloody Mary with at least 3 olives for me
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:29 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by mr8
I sometimes cut the coffee and just go for a double Bailey if I might take a nap on an early flight.
Try decaf and double bailey, something about the warmth that puts me to sleep, especially on night flights.

Originally Posted by mr8
Same at the Polaris in IAH. No alcohol before 7 AM during the week.
NO WAY! i didn't know TABC was that strict, thought only on lawrds day.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cur
NO WAY! i didn't know TABC was that strict, thought only on lawrds day.
I maintain that UA is allowed per TABC to serve alcohol before noon on Sundays (and before 7 any other day) at their Texas-based clubs under either of two exceptions:

1. At any time for all ‘free’ options as TABC rules only regulate sales

2. After 10am on Sundays in conjunction with food under the “brunch” exceptions, which allows the sale
of alcohol after 10 on Sunday if the establishment is providing food service.

United chooses not to, however, because either the lawyers or the accountants (or both) suggested it.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

Noon on sundays and 7am all other days for the Texas united and Polaris clubs.

I am actually pretty certain they could give out the free stuff if they wanted as the law only restricts “sales”, but they do not.
I had to beg for a diet coke at 7 AM. They could give out free stuff but anything like a premium drink of course costs extra. I guess they dont want to mess with it.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

my last flight came in from Buenos Aires at 5:50 AM and after clearing ( global entry) I was having a few bloody Mary's so it Has to be before 8 AM
I believe it is 6am as in my recent visit off a 530am red eye, the server had to wait until 6am to put in my “real” drink order.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:25 pm

LAX

LAX is 6:00 am And they start right on the dot
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
(bolding mine)

Given that I haven't flown out ot EWR before noon in at least 5 years, I did not know the law had changed. Thank you for the update.

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Just a potential Jeopardy Q/A correction . Your counties are reversed. Terminal C is most northern at the airport which is Essex County 'Newark' vs.Terminal A is most southern which is Union County 'Elizabeth'.
Oops

I'm 0 for 2 on this one. :-(
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.