Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: New York / Newark Severe Weather (July 11, 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver: New York / Newark Severe Weather (July 11, 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
EWR is a mess today. EWR-SFO flights are cancelled or showing 1-5 hour delays. Club and waiting areas also a zoo.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ty97
If I'm looking at this correctly, UA1022 PTY-EWR (schedule arrive 4:30pm) diverted to ORF. It took off again for EWR and then diverted back again to ORF. Still at ORF. Long day.
Looks like it, that is a mess. I'm curious what they did with the passengers-- doesn't look like ORF has regular international flights, so there probably isn't any CBP staffing. And the aircraft is stuck there overnight.Really hope they aren't trying to keep passengers on the plane...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by amejr999
Looks like it, that is a mess. I'm curious what they did with the passengers-- doesn't look like ORF has regular international flights, so there probably isn't any CBP staffing. And the aircraft is stuck there overnight.Really hope they aren't trying to keep passengers on the plane...
Would be curious as well. My guess is that CBP traveled to the aiport and cleared all the passengers. https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/norfolk-newport-news That plane (and crew after overnight rest) seems to be departing at 12pm tomorrow as UA2819 ORF-EWR

From the seat map it certainly isn't going out empty.

Last edited by expert7700; Jul 11, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
And my rebooked flight this morning just got delayed 3 hours because of a new crew needing to be found. Time to tee up another angry email to UA...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
And my rebooked flight this morning just got delayed 3 hours because of a new crew needing to be found. Time to tee up another angry email to UA...
By now, you might even have even been able to get to Toronto on Amtrak. PD seems to be operating normally to YTZ, with one exception, in case you have that fancy trip interruption insurance.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
High-ceiling storm fronts (high-altitude thunderheads, etc.). The Qs fly lower.
Kind of but not really. The Q400's have to fly lower because they have a lower service ceiling but nothing preventing an RJ from taking a lower altitude route (called a Sermon Route). The bigger issue is that NY Metro doesn't like to issue those routes too often as it will crowd the airspace even more in adverse weather. 19 times out of 20 if your route is closed for weather, you're sitting there until a reroute becomes available or something opens up. That includes the Q400's. Also gets into ops specs and what the airline allows the pilots to do in terms of getting creative to get out of there. Thunderstorms though, the performance of one airplane to the next and how they deal with them is virtually identical (unless you can top them).

Originally Posted by transportprof
Wet and slippery runways can pose less of a limitation for the Bombardier turboprops as they are designed for short take-off and landing. I have been at airports when the Bombardier turboprops go out and the commuter jets stay on the ground.
More of an operational spec with the airline than the aircraft. The commuter jets may have a clear icing limitation or more so, it's just a case of them going into bigger airports that when the weather goes downhill, that's it and the RJ flights are stopped first (example ... a 145 going from Toronto to Newark cancels but the Q400 going from Toronto to Buffalo goes ... that's more a case of the airport than the weather). Landing for sure though you're right if it's a contaminated runway, the required distance will be longer for a heavier airplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.