Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure these agencies add a great deal of value. The basics are best explained in the BA thread about EC261, but most of this stuff you can (and should) do yourself.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm not sure these agencies add a great deal of value. The basics are best explained in the BA thread about EC261, but most of this stuff you can (and should) do yourself.
I had a look through the first few posts of the 2021 BA thread, and I see some information about steps to take with BA. Clearly the forms and links listed will not be very helpful, as they are for filing with BA, but there is some good info as to EC261 verbage, etc.

However, that being said, I'll be the first to admit that beyond writing to UA in order to get the EC261 compensation due to me, I'm ill-prepared to take them to court (assuming that's what's necessary) if they deny any sort of responsibility. What else can/should I be doing myself rather than having an agency do it for me? The last time this happened, I went back and forth with UA a few times regarding compensation due to me, and they never budged, so that's when I enlisted the agency's help, and it worked out for me in the end. Otherwise, I would have been dead in the water, with no compensation, as I woulnd't have been able to proceed any further past the communication I had done...

Thanks for any/all help!
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I had a look through the first few posts of the 2021 BA thread, and I see some information about steps to take with BA. Clearly the forms and links listed will not be very helpful, as they are for filing with BA, but there is some good info as to EC261 verbage, etc.

However, that being said, I'll be the first to admit that beyond writing to UA in order to get the EC261 compensation due to me, I'm ill-prepared to take them to court (assuming that's what's necessary) if they deny any sort of responsibility. What else can/should I be doing myself rather than having an agency do it for me? The last time this happened, I went back and forth with UA a few times regarding compensation due to me, and they never budged, so that's when I enlisted the agency's help, and it worked out for me in the end. Otherwise, I would have been dead in the water, with no compensation, as I woulnd't have been able to proceed any further past the communication I had done...

Thanks for any/all help!
My colleague submitted a complaint without mentioning EC261 compensation to 1KVoices in early August. This email was forwarded to an international office, which finally responded this week with three offers: miles, cash or ECerts of $800. Before he got this response, he spent a few hours to fill up the EC 261 form (Return from Iceland, not an EU country) last weekend. Hopefully, there will be a response to this filing in a week.
My suggestion is to attach relevant delay information and PNR with your filing. Hopefully, you will get.a favorable response.
Good luck.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Thanks Silver Fox! Yes, it was all one PNR. As you said, I do expect UA will pay hardball and deny responsibility (they did the same thing the last time I had a similar problem, as I described in Post 891 above). When that happened before, UA didn't want to do anything for me as far as the delay, so I enlisted the help of AirHelp, and I finally got my payout (minus fees) about 6-8 months later.

To contact United, would you suggest I just go through the Customer Care website? If so, what do I select for section 2 (Type Of Feedback...see screenshot below)? Inquiry?

Also, any suggestions on a compensation firm if/when it comes to that? You mentioned a UK based one...where would I find a list of those? AirHelp and Refundor both seem to be able to help, but if there's a UK based one that would be better suited, I'd be willing to try that (especially if the fees were less...I believe Airhelp charges 35% and Refundor charges 25%. I realize it's basically free money for me, but I'd rather get as much as possible, if that's what I'm due!).
Because I was 1K I wrote to their 1K email address. I am in the UK so followed the process here and ultimately took them to court via the Money Claims Online route. I don't know how that works from abroad as we ended up in my local County Court. How you would handle that in normal times I do not know, but at the moment who knows. Most of the UK firms I stumbled across when I was researching background for my case seemed to show fees of 40-50%, so yours of 25% sound quite good.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Got the check from United in the mail yesterday.

It was pretty clear cut and United didn't try to fight me. Got a call from them a few weeks back to verify my mailing address. I didn't have to fill out any forms.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 11:52 am

This seems like a common enough question, but searching didn't yield anything.

We're transferring from LH (intra-Europe) to UA (transatlantic) at FRA with 1:10 between flights. Same ticket, of course. I am sure it will be just fine, but hypothetically, if the first flight is delayed and we miss the second flight, what rules apply?

I believe LH would be responsible for any compensation, but we wouldn't be working with them for the rebooking, but rather with UA. The LH flight in itself might not be delayed enough to trigger EU261, yet cause the whole trip to be delayed by much more. How does that work?
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly

We're transferring from LH (intra-Europe) to UA (transatlantic) at FRA with 1:10 between flights. Same ticket, of course. I am sure it will be just fine, but hypothetically, if the first flight is delayed and we miss the second flight, what rules apply?

I believe LH would be responsible for any compensation, but we wouldn't be working with them for the rebooking, but rather with UA. The LH flight in itself might not be delayed enough to trigger EU261, yet cause the whole trip to be delayed by much more. How does that work?
The arrival time to final destination counts. I overnighted at MUC a few years ago. First LH flight caused the misconnection. They owed me duty of care while UA gave the EC261 compensation.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whomsoever is the operating airline is the one.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Oct 10, 2021 at 2:31 am Reason: Changed to "operating airline"
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Whomsoever is the issuing ticket airline is the one.
Ah, didn't know that. Makes sense. Ticket was issued by UA, so it's all good. Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:13 pm

Whomsoever is the issuing ticket airline is the one.
Not sure this is true -- I've be redirected from ticking carrier to operating carrier to claim my prize before.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Not sure this is true -- I've be redirected from ticking carrier to operating carrier to claim my prize before.
Good catch. I screwed up and should have said "operating airline". Will edit the post. Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:03 am

Good catch. I screwed up and should have said "operating airline". Will edit the post. Thanks.
Now I'm confused again. Airline A connecting to Airline B, ticket issued by B. No codeshares. Delay caused by A, resulting in missed flight on B. Which is the "operating airline"? That was basically my original question...
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I'm confused again. Airline A connecting to Airline B, ticket issued by B. No codeshares. Delay caused by A, resulting in missed flight on B. Which is the "operating airline"? That was basically my original question...
Airline A.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:03 pm

Airline A.
Contradicted by post 901 reporting personal experience. Also, does one have to find and go back to A service desk (not necessarily in same area of airport) for compensation after getting rebooked by B?

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Oct 10, 2021 at 1:26 pm
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contradicted by post 901 reporting personal experience. Also, how does one go back to A for compensation while also frantically trying to get rebooked by B? How does A know about the ultimate arrival delay on B?
You won't get compensation until after the entire flight segments have been completed. Perhaps the poster in 901 can explain more as to their particular situation as there is not enough detail there.

This gives a lot of detail: https://www.elliott.org/airline-prob...-rights-guide/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.