Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No cabin lights on during daylight - why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No cabin lights on during daylight - why?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by mozilla
The thing is that this technically qualifies as not following crew instructions (at least when an FA demands it) is "interference" which is in breach of 14 CFR 121.580 (penalty defined by 49 USC 46504). All it takes is for the FA to say that (s)he felt intimidated and of course the company/captain will have his/her back and the pax always gets the short straw.
Good luck to the huffy FA who thinks they can win that in court. The CFR ref has not been interpreted to the extent that an FA can make up whatever reason they want, it has to be reasonable. I highly doubt you will win but feel free to spend your own money on it. Feel free to show me how it qualifies as interference. Is the presence of a woman next to a man interference according to some mendacious FA? Probably. Is it to a court? Not in the US. Sorry El Al and the Taliban. The CFR is not intended to be used in that manner.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by dav662
Not if someone is recording it on a cell phone and it goes 'viral' on social media.

Also not sure what judge / jury would believe an open window shade in any way "interferes" with a crew member. OTOH, insisting that the shade remain closed when a crew member asks one to open it (so s/he can ascertain whether or not there is damage to the wing, for example) would be construable as interference.
  • The crew is also responsible for the comfort of the passengers. I guess in the USA everything ends up in the court. In most of the other countries it would not. As others have mentioned the reading lights are there for passengers to read. If the glare from the sun or light from the outside is making it difficult for other passengers then the crew will instruct the shades to be closed and that is their right.
You're the one trying to make a case out of a ham sandwich bud, not me. You cannot from the CFR, construe a case from the available data. The FA isn't actually there for your comfort, they are legally there for safety; you'd think a US traveler would know this given how often its their goto for not doing anything.

Virtually every law has a requirement for reasonableness. There are times it certainly does make sense to ask that it be raised, to see the condition of the aircraft (something sadly pilots seem unconcerned with in many a reconstruction scenarios) and relay that observation, but I'm not convinced there is a corollary to them being closed.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by copperred
You're the one trying to make a case out of a ham sandwich bud, not me. You cannot from the CFR, construe a case from the available data. The FA isn't actually there for your comfort, they are legally there for safety; you'd think a US traveler would know this given how often its their goto for not doing anything.

Virtually every law has a requirement for reasonableness. There are times it certainly does make sense to ask that it be raised, to see the condition of the aircraft (something sadly pilots seem unconcerned with in many a reconstruction scenarios) and relay that observation, but I'm not convinced there is a corollary to them being closed.
As I said I do not know the rules and regulations in the USA but you try disobeying something like that in most other Airlines of other countries and you could end up being met by the Police on arrival. Not obeying the instructions of the crew ( it does not necessarily has to do only with the safety) would be the same in most other countries.

There are criminal consequences and civil consequences. One of the civil consequences is disobeying a crew members repeated request. As I have said I do not know much about the FAA laws in this case but trust it would be almost universal and that is how it is.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I said I do not know the rules and regulations in the USA but you try disobeying something like that in most other Airlines of other countries and you could end up being met by the Police on arrival. Not obeying the instructions of the crew ( it does not necessarily has to do only with the safety) would be the same in most other countries.
OP was on a U.S. domestic flight operated by an “Express” affiliate. What might happen in “most other countries” is not germane.
copperred likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by kale73

OP was on a U.S. domestic flight operated by an “Express” affiliate. What might happen in “most other countries” is not germane.
Ah, but the following instances all happened in the US, and all of the flyers were "in the right", yet it made no difference in the end, they were still tossed.
Arguing with a FA is a fool's gambit. No good can come of it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28040354-post68.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26253434-post298.html

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....king-pictures/
narvik and dav662 like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 29, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Ah, but the following instances all happened in the US, and all of the flyers were "in the right", yet it made no difference in the end, they were still tossed.
Arguing with a FA is a fool's gambit. No good can come of it.
Exactly.
I am in awe of those who stand up to an FA's request when they are "in-the-right", but sadly would lack the chutzpah to do so myself.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:32 pm

There are criminal consequences and civil consequences. One of the civil consequences is disobeying a crew members repeated request. As I have said I do not know much about the FAA laws in this case but trust it would be almost universal and that is how it is.
Once again, your strawman is neither germane nor a good technique. Since you do not in fact know, maybe say nothing?
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
here it is
Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 121—OPERATING REQUIREMENTS: DOMESTIC, FLAG, AND SUPPLEMENTAL OPERATIONS
Subpart T—Flight Operations
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You might want to be a little more specific -- which specific item are you referring to in this rather long subpart T (30? pages)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.