Issues at EWR with ATT Cellular Coverage

Old Jun 22, 19, 10:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 47
Issues at EWR with ATT Cellular Coverage

For the last several months, I am noticing that around Terminal C, I have difficulty accessing ATT cellular data, even though I have two or more bars. While the United or Club Wi-Fi works, I generally shy away due to security concerns. It's exacerbated while on the plane with the cabin door open. I can't send or receive texts or email, again, even though I show 2-5 bars on the phone. On the latest iOS and all other software.

Is anyone else noticing anything similar?
EWR764 likes this.
LarrySinNJ is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:48 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,673
Time to switch cell carriers? In general, I've found that airports are the worst place for cellphone reception. It's just not a priority for the cellphone companies.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:49 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Posts: 1,687
Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ View Post
For the last several months, I am noticing that around Terminal C, I have difficulty accessing ATT cellular data, even though I have two or more bars. While the United or Club Wi-Fi works, I generally shy away due to security concerns. It's exacerbated while on the plane with the cabin door open. I can't send or receive texts or email, again, even though I show 2-5 bars on the phone. On the latest iOS and all other software.

Is anyone else noticing anything similar?
Specific planes have different bodies that block signals, whether the door is open or not. Itís the body of the aircraft inhibiting the signals.

Also you shouldnít be avoiding WiFi due to security concerns. Use a VPN, buy a 30 day trial. Avoiding is the wrong security measure to use. If someone wanted to hack you, going through your cellís phone network or open wireless connections isnít much harder.

To be honest, itís probably just network congestion while youíre in the terminal. Number of users and number of available slots. This occurs at lax as well while on the taxiway. If itís just data thatís slow, sometimes LTE networks can be more congested than 3G (especially at sporting events) as a result of most people having newer phones. Every time Iím at a major sporting event with a LTE slowdown on data, 3G is much more reliable and faster, 100% of the time.
laxmillenial is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:52 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,673
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
Use a VPN, buy a 30 day trial.
Or, use one of the plethora of free ones.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:22 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 24
Same experience. It’s an ATT network issue. Verizon works fine, even on the plane when ATT coverage is weakest.
Yaddablahblah is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:26 am
  #6  
mr8
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Posts: 766
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Or, use one of the plethora of free ones.
Yeah, cause a free vpn is super safe... /s

Could alway just setup your own vpn server at home (many routers have a server built-in) or setup a server/vps with Algo or openvpn.
mr8 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:28 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,249
Absolutely. And itís really weird, it works for awhile, then stops. Toggling airplane mode on and off can give you connectivity for a few more minutes. Then you have to do it again. Very frustrating.
EWR764 likes this.
villox is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:43 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,389
Yes Yes Yes!!! These days I just expect to be on radio silence from boarding to roughly when we start taxi. Very frustrating and Iím glad itís not just me or my phone.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:52 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,458
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Or, use one of the plethora of free ones.
You do know if you use a vpn the provider sees EVERYTHING you do?
s0ssos is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 12:00 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,853
I'm not sure what this has to with United Airlines. Do we really want to start a list of airports with crappy cell coverage?
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
You do know if you use a vpn the provider sees EVERYTHING you do?
You mean like your browser provider already does?
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 12:03 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,458
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I'm not sure what this has to with United Airlines. Do we really want to start a list of airports with crappy cell coverage?

You mean like your browser provider already does?
Lots of phone activity aren't through your browser. Apps are constantly phoning home.

Depends on your browser. WaPo has a post about how letting Google be your browser is like letting a child run a candy store.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 12:21 pm
  #12  
mr8
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Posts: 766
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
...
You mean like your browser provider already does?
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Lots of phone activity aren't through your browser. Apps are constantly phoning home.

Depends on your browser. WaPo has a post about how letting Google be your browser is like letting a child run a candy store.
The problem with public wifi/free VPNs isn't what your browser and apps are sending home, but who is on the same wifi/VPN as you and what those people might be doing.
mr8 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 12:27 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,853
Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
The problem with public wifi/free VPNs isn't what your browser and apps are sending home, but who is on the same wifi/VPN as you and what those people might be doing.
That's an issue anytime you're sharing a wifi network, not just public free wifi. United Club wifi being a prime example.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 12:31 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,458
Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
The problem with public wifi/free VPNs isn't what your browser and apps are sending home, but who is on the same wifi/VPN as you and what those people might be doing.
? How does having someone on the same vpn as you make a difference? You might as well as say having someone on the same internet?
And most of the time it doesn't matter if someone is sharing the wifi with you. As long as they haven't hacked it and are doing a man-in-the-middle attack you're fine.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 12:40 pm
  #15  
mr8
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Posts: 766
This is getting a bit off topic, but...
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That's an issue anytime you're sharing a wifi network, not just public free wifi. United Club wifi being a prime example.
Yep, VPN even in there too. Same goes for the inflight wifi, though your UA account info is still vulnerable there even if you use a VPN in-flight - I wonder if that's why they eliminated the old login portal at the lounges.
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
? How does having someone on the same vpn as you make a difference? You might as well as say having someone on the same internet?
And most of the time it doesn't matter if someone is sharing the wifi with you. As long as they haven't hacked it and are doing a man-in-the-middle attack you're fine.
Well, if you're installing a free VPN then it will often make you install a profile/certificate that could potentially compromise your security, and when something is free, your are often the product.
mr8 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: