Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issues at EWR with ATT Cellular Coverage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
The Orbot app (using Tor) has built in VPN for just such an occasion. I've found once I started using ublock there's been almost no pinging/adware when used in combination with FF. That and I judiciously shut down nefarious app permissions.on a regular basis.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
I've had the same problem, which seems to have started within the past 6 months. Very annoying.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Triple yes. It is really becoming annoying to point I may switch. And since UA “owns” EWR it has everything to do with them.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
PANYNJ
Originally Posted by Collierkr
... “owns” EWR ...
and PANYNJ would handle the placement of cellular access points in the terminals with the cellular providers
UA's (without going into the Chairman's flight incident) relations with PANYNJ has never been great.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I notice the connectivity issues when I'm in the plane, but I don't have any problems while in the terminal. It's a nuisance but not something that bothers me all that much.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Time to switch cell carriers? In general, I've found that airports are the worst place for cellphone reception. It's just not a priority for the cellphone companies.
This makes sense to me. Taxiing around DFW my T-Mobile has almost 1 bar at best sometimes only 4G not LTE --awful.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by EWR764
Yes Yes Yes!!! These days I just expect to be on radio silence from boarding to roughly when we start taxi. Very frustrating and I’m glad it’s not just me or my phone.
Same here. I have AT&T, and once I board I can no longer get cell data. It’s incredibly frustrating. I assumed that UA was somehow blocking the system through their Wi-Fi network. I know nothing about these things, so I’m glad this thread was started.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SS255
Same here. I have AT&T, and once I board I can no longer get cell data. It’s incredibly frustrating. I assumed that UA was somehow blocking the system through their Wi-Fi network. ..
The blocking / jamming of a cellular system is illegal (in the USA).
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by enviroian
This makes sense to me. Taxiing around DFW my T-Mobile has almost 1 bar at best sometimes only 4G not LTE --awful.
T-Mobile does not have much low end spectrum which is capable of penetrating metal/buildings. They still haven't finished roll-out of the 600mhz spectrum they purchased at auction from the TV providers in 2017.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I've had problems with AT&T coverage in multiple airports now, EWR is probably the worst, but I've had problems at ORD and SFO too -- as well as multiple downtown areas. Bottom line is that AT&T sucks. I'm switching carriers this month.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP Thanks for posting. I have the same problem at EWR.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
I read an article a few months back about WiFi calling and the article said that when you enable your phone for WiFi calling it can mess with your cell phone reception.The day after I read the article a friend told me that she used to have cell coverage at her mothers house but now there's no coverage there. The week prior I enabled her phone for WiFi calling so I told her to disable the WiFi calling on her phone. Once she did that her reception her mothers house was fine.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:05 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Anyone ever use the ATT “mark the spot” app? I use it religiously to give feedback on dead zones, or zones with slow speed
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by fastair
Anyone ever use the ATT “mark the spot” app? I use it religiously to give feedback on dead zones, or zones with slow speed
I gave ATT my feedback by canceling service after using them for 25 years and moving to Consumer Cellular. Half the cost and much better coverage.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:26 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
I gave ATT my feedback by canceling service after using them for 25 years and moving to Consumer Cellular. Half the cost and much better coverage.

well, for the NE region as well as the nation as a whole, the latest PCmag testing puts ATT #1. If you’re happy, that’s great.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcm...s-2019%3famp=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.