Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Glad I got a CO lifetime membership for $2500 before the merger.
SunLover likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by onthesam
What would whomever you correspond with at Chase know at this point?
To be clear:

Fact: UA has announced that membership (purchased from UA) will increase to $650 effective 8/13/19.

Speculation on this board (based in part on historic experience): The club card annual fee will increase soon.
Based on what historic experience?! Again, both AA and Delta raised their paid memberships recently, a move which now UA is copying. In neither the AA case, nor the DL case did they raise the annual fee for their club credit card. At this point, there really is no reason to jump to the conclusion that the cards annual fee will be raised, United often copies their competition.

How about we just wait and see what they actually do rather than trying to predict the future? @:-)

Regards

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 22, 2019 at 10:38 am Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Based on what historic experience?!... there really is no reason to jump to the conclusion that the cards annual fee will be raised
Well there is this:

Originally Posted by Kacee
Did Chase raise their annual fee last time United raised membership rates?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes
So...that is the basis for speculation. "The competition did not do this" and "Chase rep on the phone says there are no plans to" are also basis for speculation.

How about we just wait and see what they actually do rather than trying to predict the future? @:-)
What's the fun in that??
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Great idea.

Everyone, please stop posting on this thread until we know what the future holds.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great idea.

Everyone, please stop posting on this thread until we know what the future holds.
It's not the future at that pint.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Great idea.

Well, I wish that could happen on FT, but alas, I'm not that naive.

I'm just saying it's not necessary to "stoke the flame" just because you are bored. Either they will raise the fee or they won't and everyone can decide if they still find value at that point. My bet though is they won't if they want to stay aligned with their competition.

Regards
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:52 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Slightly off topic, but I think if you have to suffer a normal club and are flying Polaris, you should at least get your choice of any of the booze without having to pay..that's the case in the Polaris lounges, so why not in this case? It could be policed by either a piece of paper handed out at check in to the club, or bar tender review of bp, which would be less efficient I guess.
Essentially DEN once the Polaris at IAD is completed.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by threeoh
AA does this. If you are in an Admiral Club but flying a Flagship-eligible itinerary you get drink chits for premium drinks.
AA’s lounge policies are way better. Especially having domestic flagship routes with flagship lounge access.. I’m not sure how they manage that (given United can’t due to crowding), are Flagship lounges are 50-100% larger? AA flies fewer flagship vs polaris passengers?

Wish AA or Delta had a SFO hub, would give United some real competition - AA is missing the tech boom O/D with their fortress LAX.. If they got the Apple account alone, they’d be profitable in SFO
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
AA’s lounge policies are way better. Especially having domestic flagship routes with flagship lounge access.. I’m not sure how they manage that (given United can’t due to crowding)
No the flagship lounges are just very crowded.

Whether AA's policy is "better" depends on your perspective. If you're flying LAX-JFK, sure, the rules work in your favor. If you're flying LAX-HKG, the more generous access rules detract from your lounge experience.

There are arguments both ways, and it's rather myopic to say that one approach is objectively better. Ironically, some of the same people who complain about Polaris access rules also complain about overcrowded UCs. Can't have it both ways.
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Wish AA or Delta had a SFO hub, would give United some real competition
DL and AA both have really nice lounges at SFO. They absolutely are trying to attract a piece of the tech money.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Since most of my sentiments have already been expressed at length, I’ll just quickly add my affirmation for:

1) I hope this doesn’t affect the credit card, but I’m sure it will in a few months with no discernible increase in quality except for the marginal “it’ll thin out overcrowding.” Even the quality/friendliness of staff has barely changed with their new training. Just this morning heard multiple employees complaining they were tired, “sick of all these travelers”, and “this place is making (me) sick” in ear shot of multiple folks.

2) Regardless if does, my home at DEN is still generations behind on the food offerings. We don’t even get toasters at breakfast anymore, fruit pastries are few and far between behind the abundance of stale croissants and lemon bread, still no self-serve soft drinks, and espresso machines are a craps shoot for not being broken. Add in the stale rolls, questionable bowl of crackers, and warm cheese at lunch. I get trying to cater to masses of people, but there’s got to be at least a step up toward what’s offered in LAX/ORD, etc.

3) I’m happy to have a place to sit or work away from the terminal but there are many times where it’s actually not really better.

Does the credit card even get a discount on premium cocktails anymore? Don’t believe it does or am I wrong?

Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
HNL Food Downgrade

Well the bean counters have struck again. No more chili, no more guacamole, no more cheese of any kind. As one of the staff commiserated, "it's like the old United is back."

Current management has some gall raising the fee while it continues to cut amenities to the bone.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I don't know if it was a one time off but there were no newspapers last Wednesday at the ORD UC at F8. The equipment where the newspapers used to be presented was gone. Is that an amenity cut before raising the fee?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well the bean counters have struck again. No more chili, no more guacamole, no more cheese of any kind. As one of the staff commiserated, "it's like the old United is back."

Current management has some gall raising the fee while it continues to cut amenities to the bone.
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I don't know if it was a one time off but there were no newspapers last Wednesday at the ORD UC at F8. The equipment where the newspapers used to be presented was gone. Is that an amenity cut before raising the fee?
Soon there will just be chairs and power ports and membership will cost $1,000/year and only be valid for access when flying in non-basic eco fares. Changes we will like!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Soon there will just be chairs and power ports and membership will cost $1,000/year and only be valid for access when flying in non-basic eco fares. Changes we will like!
At least it will be less crowded!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
​​​​​​​I pleased to report the cheese cubes at SFO are all back - Swiss, Cheddar, and Pepperjack.
Drunkmuppet and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.