Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is a good and exceptional rate to buy UA miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is a good and exceptional rate to buy UA miles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SunLover
.... All that said: is it time for United to consider putting on a down and dirty mileage sale? The buymiles site is still at 3.5 cents, and even their occasional 85% bonus is still not compelling enough to buy and hold....
Award Accelerator is normally in the 2 cpm range

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
$0.00
Miles are worthless if UA goes bankrupt.
Was not true in the past -- perhaps in liquidation, not BK.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 11, 2020 at 12:43 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At what price would you balance the risks, and bite on a miles purchase that was not for an immediate redemption?
I have 100K miles in my UA account. I would consider buying 100K more for $500 -- so, half a cent each. I might still pass. At $250, I'd certainly do it.

There's no way that UA will sell them to me for a price I would be willing to pay. They value them much more highly than I do.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I have 100K miles in my UA account. I would consider buying 100K more for $500 -- so, half a cent each. I might still pass. At $250, I'd certainly do it.

There's no way that UA will sell them to me for a price I would be willing to pay. They value them much more highly than I do.
Agreed. I very rarely see even 1c of value in UA miles nowadays - except to the extent I need a refundable fare, which is rare.

As to UA going bankrupt, that seems unlikely - the government will bail them out as it always does.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Often1
Kind of doubt that the solution is to generate a bunch of cheap tickets by selling miles for nothing.

The 2008 mistake of dropping fares to fill planes isn't being repeated this time.

UA will cut capacity.
+1. It's not going to provide useful interim revenue - I would guess most people buy miles to top up an account to purchase a ticket or maybe an opportunistic purchase to buy a premium cabin saver. But few people are going to buy speculatively just to have cheap miles in their account for later. And even if they do, it's robbing peter to pay paul. This virus thing is going to be temporary - the only question is how long - and once it's over or mostly over people will go back to flying. The approach they have now of free changes makes sense - get people to buy tickets for the future even when there's uncertainty - that's a sensible way to keep generating revenue.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
i understand the principle: airline miles lose value over time. I understand the rule: don’t purchase miles unless you intend to use them right away. I understand the risks: devaluation, and decreased redemption options. I understand the best way to purchase miles: award accelerator using a United Airlines branded credit card can get your price under 2 cents per mile.

All that said: is it time for United to consider putting on a down and dirty mileage sale? The buymiles site is still at 3.5 cents, and even their occasional 85% bonus is still not compelling enough to buy and hold.

At what price would you balance the risks, and bite on a miles purchase that was not for an immediate redemption? Sometimes I think close to 1 cpm might move me, but then I sober up. 😀

SL
I don’t understand what you are asking. Could you make it really simple for me?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Award Accelerator is normally in the 2 cpm range
Yup usually 2 cpm for international itineraries, but if you purchase with a United branded CC you get 2 miles for each $ spent, so 1.92 cpm. And you can do this unlimitedly.

Buymiles adds sales tax to the transaction, so that increases the cost.

SL
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
$0.00
Miles are worthless if UA goes bankrupt.
Not necessarily. Stock, maybe. But I never lost UA or DL miles during their bankruptcies. I think even EA miles were rolled into CO OnePass when they folded.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don’t understand what you are asking. Could you make it really simple for me?
What price would you pay for UA miles not intended for immediate use?

SL
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
$.00000001
Sitting on a few million - 4.2ish...never seem to use them!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:37 am
Suspended

What price would you pay for UA miles not intended for immediate use?

SL
I would never buy miles unless I had an immediate need for them.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I would never buy miles unless I had an immediate need for them.
This.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:24 am
Suspended

And then only if there is a huge discount over the cash fare.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Most mileage tickets in F or J will be a tremendous discount to a full fare using money. Europe for 70K each way is a steal.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:58 pm

Buying UA miles, pricepoint, risks

You are all more knowledgeable than I. I just got an email with the 100% bonus match offer on purchased points, which for the volume of miles I typically buy, puts the price @ .0175 / mile.
Lowest I've seen while I've been tracking. Typical is .0203/mile. Is .0175 a good deal, and in your opinion, what is the risk solvency wise, or devaluation wise?
Feel free to direct me to existing threads. This is the kinda news I like to read these days. I could pull the trigger on a circumnavigation ticket for November in Business if all signs point to Go.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by etna9726b
... Lowest I've seen while I've been tracking. Typical is .0203/mile. Is .0175 a good deal, and in your opinion, what is the risk solvency wise, or devaluation wise? ....
Yes, this decent price (better as there is no Fed Exercise Tax due t CARES Act)
But the general advice on FT is never, ever buy on speculation.
If you have an immediate need / opportunity, then price it out versus the paid ticket and the cost for the number of miles UA is asking, it the mileage purchase cost is better, than it is a good deal.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.