Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is a good and exceptional rate to buy UA miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

What rate is good, and what is exceptional to buy UA miles?
Does it make sense to buy miles full 12 months before travel begins?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The best rate UA sells miles for is something around 2 cent per mile. Will not weight in on if that is good or exceptional -- it depends on how you plan to use the miles and the value you place on that use.
This rate is often available on the deep discount sales of Purchased Miles or via Award Accelerator
Purchase Miles (RDMs) sales / discounts / bonuses [Consolidated 2019]

Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019]

It is not a good idea to hoard or stockpile miles and it is a worse idea to purchase miles long before use.

Be aware UA has announced a change in the mileage award system that many consider a potential major devaluation
Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)
mr8 and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would never purchase miles without a specific, immediate use in mind.

The currently available purchase price (2 cpm) is higher than the value I would place on a generic UA mile (1.5 cpm).
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
United has never offered miles at what I would consider reasonable.
Xyzzy, perkele, halls120 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uela
Does it make sense to buy miles full 12 months before travel begins?
No, because 12 months from now, United will already be on the fully-dynamic award pricing system. There will be no award chart; more importantly, there will be no limit to the number of miles that UA could charge for the redemption that you want.

I would echo what Kacee said, but a little more strongly. I would never buy (or convert) UA miles unless there were immediate availability at an award level that I was willing to pay, and I would never buy more than I needed for that award. (In other words: top-up only).

You should assume that UA is only selling you the miles because it’s more profitable for them than selling you a flight would be.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A good rate is when the miles you buy for your trip cost less than buying a ticket. Since the miles needed for trips after 15 November on United is no longer predictable, it has made the math a lot harder.

As other have said, it only makes sense if you need a few miles to top-up and get you a ticket that you will book immediately.
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Some ~5 years ago, I used to buy quite a few miles for specific award trips with interesting & complex routings for personal travel, and it worked out great.
Nowadays, that is NOT the case anymore.
For travel after November 2019: FORGETABOUDIT!
artvandalay, Kacee and nwflyboy like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would never purchase miles without a specific, immediate use in mind.
Originally Posted by jsloan
I would never buy (or convert) UA miles unless there were immediate availability at an award level that I was willing to pay, and I would never buy more than I needed for that award.
This X 100. The days of banking miles for some unknown future opportunity, whatever the acquisition cost, are over. It is foolish to buy any currency when its value is black-boxed.

In the new dynamic-pricing world, you could spend, say, $1,000 buying miles for future use, then later learn that it takes 2X the purchased miles to get an award ticket you can buy outright for $900. Maybe. Who knows? The only way to win is not to play.
jsloan, Miggles and narvik like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
...The days of banking miles for some unknown future opportunity, whatever the acquisition cost, are over...
This of course is the whole selling point of the accumulation part (not the status part) of frequent flyer programs. Still don't quite understand why UA (and other carriers/hotel chains) are doing this and what they plan next.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by username
Still don't quite understand why UA (and other carriers/hotel chains) are doing this and what they plan next.
Meta view: they're discarding loyalty as an ROI tool in favor of short-term profit maximization and customer exploitation. To the extent they still imply there are broad-gauge rewards for loyal buying behavior, it is somewhere between bait-and-switch deception and operational fraud. "What they plan next" will depend on whether they have to modify this approach in the next protracted recession to stimulate business, or whether the anti-competitive oligopoly is now so blastproof, they won't need to bother. I tend to think the latter.
SkyTeem and nwflyboy like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
About the only great use of United Miles that I can see now is using miles for a one way close in business or first class ticket on certain routes. For example, a friend recently booked a Las Vegas to Lima, Peru one way First Class on Copa Air for 30,000 United miles. Likewise LAX or SF to some Asian cities, booked very close in can be a great deal in business class with United Miles. But for myself and Mrs. Jonsail we have been using United Miles mainly at a value a little over a penny each. Therefore, unless you are buying miles for a special offering, I wouldn't buy them.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
Meta view: they're discarding loyalty as an ROI tool in favor of short-term profit maximization and customer exploitation.
This would be incredibly short-sighted.

A decade ago, before airlines figured out how to make money (helped by low oil prices), I recall there being some calls to spin off the loyalty business because it was the only thing that was consistently profitable. That is, the flying planes part of the business was dragging down the loyalty part, and separated they would be worth more than together. Presumably, one of the reasons for separating them is that when the flying-plans part is in charge, they don't concentrate on getting the most of the loyalty program. For example, they have an incentive to devalue miles, as they are seen as a liability if you've got to stuff the mile-owners in a tube and take them somewhere. A spun-off loyalty program would do everything to protect the value of their product, which means protecting against devaluations. And if they do a good job selling and marketing a good product, the airline sells more miles to them and everyone wins. Sadly, this divesting did not happen.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I could not imagine buying miles in any airlines program at over $0.01/mile unless I had a near term use.

I do think the .01 floor is safe for several years going forward. It is really getting baked in to consumers that this is the "basic" value or a point/mile. Anything above is a deal, anything below is evil.

There are ways to "buy" at under .01 at times.
nwflyboy and BearX220 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a lot of very risk-averse behavior being suggested here. There is clearly some price at which it makes sense to bank miles. The question is, what is that price? (Whether you ever have the opportunity to buy them at that price is a different question)

I'm going to go out on a limb and throw 1c out there. As long as I didn't have more than, say, half a million, I'd probably pay 1c for them.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by username
A good rate is when the miles you buy for your trip cost less than buying a ticket. Since the miles needed for trips after 15 November on United is no longer predictable, it has made the math a lot harder.

As other have said, it only makes sense if you need a few miles to top-up and get you a ticket that you will book immediately.
Not necessarily. Award tickets don't earn miles or credit for status. They can be treated differently for upgrades, etc.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.