Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

E+ Seats Released for all Prior to Check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Flying tomorrow (6/10) on UA883 from LHR to EWR. The plane is the new 767 high-j config with PP seats (service not offically started so these are still considered E+). Was on the same aircraft on the way here and had no issue selecting a PP seat at check-in as a free E+ seat as a silver member.

Return flight on 883 was also showing seats open all over E+ ~36 hours before, but at T-24 check-in there are no selectable seats. I cant even move from my standard E seat to another E seat. Does this mean that the system auto-assigned all of those E+ seats to passengers without seat assignments before the check-in window opened? I checked in right on time so I find it hard to believe nearly 20 E+ seats were grabbed by others before I got through.

I even called in and the phone agent told me the flight is oversold and every seat is taken. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience...
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
It's possible that others checked in before T-24 because of connecting flights.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is also entirely possible that passengers monitoring the seating situation have seen the declining availability of "good" seats and have decided to pay for E+. If indeed the flight is overbooked and at risk of oversale, it would most likely mean that E- seats cannot be assigned and, if assignable, are the worst on the aircraft. Exactly the situation where someone playing the odds figures it is better to pay up.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
It's possible that others checked in before T-24 because of connecting flights.
even if it's connecting, i thought the 2nd flight is still subject to 2nd's flight time T-24

for OP's flight, even though seat map and flight status page shows Economy full, UA is still willing to sell 6 economy seats (with plenty of J seats 15 unassigned/8 willing to sell)

my guess is some GS/1K/Plat will get bumped up to J - OP should keep an eye on open E+/PP seats
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
even if it's connecting, i thought the 2nd flight is still subject to 2nd's flight time T-24
That has never been the case, at least in my memory. You can check in to all your connecting flights at T-24 of the first flight, with some potential exceptions (need to produce a visa to an agent, SSSS, etc.). Silvers can also select E+ seats for free for all connections at T-24 of the first flight (however, the seatmap will act like it will charge you for connections beyond 24 hours, but there will be no checkout page).
Kannai and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Silvers can also select E+ seats for free for all connections at T-24 of the first flight (however, the seatmap will act like it will charge you for connections beyond 24 hours, but there will be no checkout page).
maybe that's why i thought it was the case... will test it another time, thanks
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paperwastage
It’s based on the time from the first flight. This is the reason people start appearing on the upgrade waitlists before T-24.

There does seem to be a maximum somewhere around 48 hours which I’ve experienced in the past on multi segment trips spread out over a long period of time.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:28 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Could it be that another flight got IRROPs and they dumped a bunch of passengers on this flight?
Kannai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.