Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Bucket for Military/Government ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Bucket for Military/Government ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flying chef
I think there is a contract for YYZ-IAH , so maybe they can build on that. Is it bad form to let SATO know a preferred routing based on ITA Matrix / Google Flights?
Only way to know is to actually talk with the travel agent and see what their system generates as options. UA has very few GSA contract fares. Most fares all are AA (majority), DL & WN in some cases. UA has GSA contract fares on routes like SFO-ICN, IAD-FRA, IAH-LHR where they are the sole option. Most everything will force you onto AA in some form..I'm betting that for YYZ-IAH they'd come up with a routing like YYZ-CLT-IAH or YYZ-PHL-IAH. Going with the whole routing you really want I'm betting they'd come up with YYZ-PHL/CLT to MIA then onward to UIO possibly. The agent could likely piece together what ever route you wanted on whatever carrier, but they're likely limited in what kind of fares they can sell so you might be forced into paying a full fare Y. If its non-GSA and you'd have to find a way to justify double or triple the cost (if you need to justify it at all). If you don't then its a non-issue so call them and tell them what you want and go from there.

This thread has kind of gone off track since your original question of fare class on UA, but the answer remains the same. You just need to call the travel agent. None of us have the answer.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
As to your second question, again that depends on how specific your AO reviews the costs or work policies. Usually you are able to opt for one WAS airport versus another, but in the past I have had IAD bookings disapproved and told I had to book DCA because it resulted in greater savings to the taxpayer. Of course I was able to show subsequent savings were offset by baggage fees associated with flying on an airline I didn't hold status on, or rental car pricing, but it really can depend on each situation.
I don't know of a single department or agency based in DC that requires employees to use the cheapest of IAD, DCA, or BWI.

Originally Posted by therossinator

Talk to your AO. By the book, electing to pay the fare difference is permitted but there is a process. IIRC, you need to get either sign the authorization or get the authorization approved for the cheapest flight, then talk to SATO to book you the flight you really want and they will note in your record that you will only get a reimbursement up to whatever that cheapest flight would have cost.
I've tried to do something similar, electing to pay the difference for a YCA (non-capacity controlled) city pair fare instead of the _CA but SATO says that that move is not allowed.
The way to do it is to have SATO ticket the reservation, and then call the UA government desk and offer to pay the difference. Most times I've tried this, it works.

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
My organization won't let us ticket early without a good reason, because of hassle/expense (Concur) of cancelling.
First of all, there is no rule prohibiting it in the JTR. As long as your ticket is fully refundable, cancelling an early ticket isn't any more of a hassle. And purchasing a ticket early means you don't run the risk of the ticket being more expensive when actually purchased.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 12, 2019 at 12:53 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
The way to do it is to have SATO ticket the reservation, and then call the UA government desk and offer to pay the difference. Most times I've tried this, it works.
But on that method you're left with a nonrefundable fare whereas electing for limited reimbursements with SATO/DTS would most likely be unrestricted as that's what the DTS search engine seeks out, and it likely be significantly cheaper than purchasing the commercially available unrestricted ticket you would get by exchanging it via the United government desk.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But on that method you're left with a nonrefundable fare whereas electing for limited reimbursements with SATO/DTS would most likely be unrestricted as that's what the DTS search engine seeks out, and it likely be significantly cheaper than purchasing the commercially available unrestricted ticket you would get by exchanging it via the United government desk.
No. All of my SATO/DTS -CA fares have been fully refundable, and when I call the UA Government desk, I make sure they have a refundable fare available.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
As long as your ticket is fully refundable, cancelling an early ticket isn't any more of a hassle. And purchasing a ticket early means you don't run the risk of the ticket being more expensive when actually purchased.
This may be agency-dependent, but in our case, cancelling/refunding a ticket can mean that the money for that ticket is tied up for a couple of months (or more!) during the refunding process before it 'de-obligates', and thus unavailable for use during that time. If you have a large travel budget, it may not be an issue, but if your travel funds are limited, it can cause headaches. Plus the cancellation/refund process means more fees paid to Concur or whoever your travel processing contractor is.

As far as the ticket price going up, in our case once the reservation is made, if it was a discounted xCA fare, that is the fare that will be paid, whether ticketed a month out, or 3 days out. Again, could be agency-dependent.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
I don't know of a single department or agency based in DC that requires employees to use the cheapest of IAD, DCA, or BWI.
My experience was working as a Navy civilian on the west coast right after the 2013 sequestration period; granted this was also during a time where travel approvals were required from 3 different chains of command and complicating matters were travel authorizations were scrutinized after several coworkers became the subject of investigations. I'm not saying its in the JTR, but local commands can set their own rules/policies and in this particular scenario if DCA was cheaper, we were directed to use it.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:37 am

No. All of my SATO/DTS -CA fares have been fully refundable, and when I call the UA Government desk, I make sure they have a refundable fare available.
So UA allows you to pay the difference with a personal card? I know that the Gov't fare search option only will allow input of Gov't charge card; I think its because it looks at the first four digits of the card number.

Then again a lot of times, as with any UA res agent, it becames a HUCA scenario.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
So UA allows you to pay the difference with a personal card? I know that the Gov't fare search option only will allow input of Gov't charge card; I think its because it looks at the first four digits of the card number.

Then again a lot of times, as with any UA res agent, it becames a HUCA scenario.
There are only a handful of agents who staff the Government desk at United. I think it’s less than 10 and a few of them I can recognize by voice as soon as they pick up. HUCA is far less likely to be successful when the pool is so small.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

First of all, there is no rule prohibiting it in the JTR. As long as your ticket is fully refundable, cancelling an early ticket isn't any more of a hassle.
And purchasing a ticket early means you don't run the risk of the ticket being more expensive when actually purchased.
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
This may be agency-dependent, but in our case, cancelling/refunding a ticket can mean that the money for that ticket is tied up for a couple of months (or more!) during the refunding process before it 'de-obligates', and thus unavailable for use during that time. If you have a large travel budget, it may not be an issue, but if your travel funds are limited, it can cause headaches. Plus the cancellation/refund process means more fees paid to Concur or whoever your travel processing contractor is.

As far as the ticket price going up, in our case once the reservation is made, if it was a discounted xCA fare, that is the fare that will be paid, whether ticketed a month out, or 3 days out. Again, could be agency-dependent.
Right - that's the rule for government fares. They have to be fully refundable but you lock in the fare at the time of booking. The only difference between YCA and _CA is that the latter is limited in seats whereas YCA is last seat availability. So if you book early it's more likely the _CA fare is available. (FWIW, it appears that _CA availability is affected not just by government ticketing but by general travel. So if low fare buckets on a flight are mostly sold then _CA is unlikely to be available.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus

First of all, there is no rule prohibiting it in the JTR. As long as your ticket is fully refundable, cancelling an early ticket isn't any more of a hassle. And purchasing a ticket early means you don't run the risk of the ticket being more expensive when actually purchased.
I do

I know it's not in the FTR, but our travel just won't do it. Not unusual that we've had to pay more because of slow approvals, although not usually once fully approved.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:53 am

There are only a handful of agents who staff the Government desk at United. I think it’s less than 10 and a few of them I can recognize by voice as soon as they pick up. HUCA is far less likely to be successful when the pool is so small.
Sorry I should have clarified my comment. Sometimes non Gov't desk agents will modify a gov't booking if there is no re-price required.....other times they see its a gov't fare and refuse to make any changes even if its a result of IRROPS.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
FWIW, it appears that _CA availability is affected not just by government ticketing but by general travel. So if low fare buckets on a flight are mostly sold then _CA is unlikely to be available.
This is correct. For example, an earlier version of the GSA tool allowed you to see the specific fare classes, and I noticed on one route that UA had published YCA and SCA (_CA) fares. If you booked that city pair on a flight that had S class availability, you’d get the SCA fare; if S was 0, you’d get the (higher) YCA fare. It still works that way today; I just don’t know of a public way to find the specific fares tthat have been created. The number of government tickets sold is not a factor; it’s the overall flight inventory that matters.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

This is correct. For example, an earlier version of the GSA tool allowed you to see the specific fare classes, and I noticed on one route that UA had published YCA and SCA (_CA) fares. If you booked that city pair on a flight that had S class availability, you’d get the SCA fare; if S was 0, you’d get the (higher) YCA fare. It still works that way today; I just don’t know of a public way to find the specific fares tthat have been created. The number of government tickets sold is not a factor; it’s the overall flight inventory that matters.
So you are saying that on UA, if S class is not available, it automatically goes to Y? Are those the only two classes that the gov't has contracts for?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
So you are saying that on UA, if S class is not available, it automatically goes to Y? Are those the only two classes that the gov't has contracts for?
Not necessarily, I always get booked on a U fare every time I go between Guam and Okinawa. Maybe it’s because it includes code shared flights with ANA, maybe it’s because it’s short haul international, not really sure.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
During the GSA City Pairs bidding process, United may submit two bids: a YCA bid and a -CA bid. What bucket the -CA comes out of is a business decision by United. I’ve seen SCA fares, UCA fares, and others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.