Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight morning 9 June 2019 from ATL ... help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight morning 9 June 2019 from ATL ... help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
But, be careful of the second option above -- since you are traveling on a single ticket, skipping the first leg may well result in cancelling the entire trip... need to make sure UA is on board with this schedule change, and has changed your ticket accordingly.
This is not the case. OP has an international connection at IAD. That gives him 24 hours without disturbing his current ticket. He simply changes to ATL-IAD tonight.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:17 pm

Pilot here
Thunderstorms are in the aviation forecast for tomorrow also. So chance of weather disruption is greater than zero. 5.25am flight is oversold so chance of the entire party getting on it are low. All other itineraries to PEK require a departure from ATL earlier than your IAD flight.

At this point I think you are just crossing your fingers and hoping that you make the connection. If not, UA will rebook you the following day and you will get a day in IAD to explore. Plan on having sufficient items in carryon to survive a night in IAD and look at it as a bonus. That's really all you can do. Going to the airport in hopes of getting on an earlier flight is just likely to make a long travel day even longer and more frustrating.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
This is not the case. OP has an international connection at IAD. That gives him 24 hours without disturbing his current ticket. He simply changes to ATL-IAD tonight.
just when I think I know what I know. I’ve never heard of this. Is this documented somewhere?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by milepig

just when I think I know what I know. I’ve never heard of this. Is this documented somewhere?
Yes, in the fare rules Pretty much all international connections worldwide have permitted 24 hours for 50+ years, so it's not really an issue, although always worth looking.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raymoland
Pilot here
All other itineraries to PEK require a departure from ATL earlier than your IAD flight.
This isn’t quite the case. I didn’t check availability, but there’s there’s a connection at ORD from the 10:45 ATL-ORD flight, an hour after their scheduled departure.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Generally speaking, international flights (except Canada) allow for layovers of up to 24 hours on a fare. Domestic and Canada flights typically only allow for layovers of up to 4 hours on a fare. If it's longer than that, it creates a fare break and you need to purchase a separate fare for each segment.
pamdrew likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Well, any international connection <24 hours is legal.

But OP would still be on the hook for $75*4 in SDC fees to change his ATL-IAD segment to tonight, unless he managed to talk someone into a change due to weather.

The best advice here is don't book 90 minute connections to once-a-day flights, but it's a bit late for OP on that one.

There is a 4:05 PM IAD-PEK flight, although it's already pretty full so if you misconnect you might not find space on it.

OP may want to consider on what circumstances he'd split the family up to get there.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
UA also has non-stop's to PEK from ORD, EWR, and SFO. There's an 8:00 AM flight to ORD that would work well for the ORD-PEK flight. If weather is bad and flights start getting delayed tomorrow morning, you might want to consider asking about getting switched to the ORD routing.
Definitely want to be proactive at ATL if the ATL-IAD flight is late. Don't let them give you the "they will take care of you at IAD" thing as that probably would mean a 1 day delay at least.

Since it would be weather and you are not top tier elite with United, UA won't be responsible for meals or hotels. Hopefully your credit card covers these expenses.

If this happens, do your own research first on UA / ANA / AC flights that can get you there as some agents need prompting on finding the routing.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If it's longer than that, it creates a fare break and you need to purchase a separate fare for each segment.
If it's longer than that, it's a stopover. It may or not create a fare break, depending on the fare rules.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Generally speaking, international flights (except Canada) allow for layovers of up to 24 hours on a fare. Domestic and Canada flights typically only allow for layovers of up to 4 hours on a fare. If it's longer than that, it creates a fare break and you need to purchase a separate fare for each segment.
OK. But what I’m not getting is that the IAD flight leaves after the point where they’d have missed the ALT-IAD leg. Does that not still void the rest? Sorry, I’m probably being dense here.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
Definitely want to be proactive at ATL if the ATL-IAD flight is late. Don't let them give you the "they will take care of you at IAD" thing as that probably would mean a 1 day delay at least.

Since it would be weather and you are not top tier elite with United, UA won't be responsible for meals or hotels. Hopefully your credit card covers these expenses.

If this happens, do your own research first on UA / ANA / AC flights that can get you there as some agents need prompting on finding the routing.
There’s an important thing here. Don’t let them kick the cab down the road. Waiting until IAD with a clear missed connection is too late. They need to deal with it in ATL.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If OP cares, the weather today has been a mixture of cloudy/lightrain, heavy rain and thunderstorms. The map for tomorrow looks similar. Even if it does not effect ATL proper, It can effect the airspace or IAD.

If I was OP I would be very proactive on this one.

EDIT: LMAOAM (Laughing My ... Off At Myself). AS the OP is presently in the ATL area, he obviously knows the local weather. Sorry for the waste of time :-)

Last edited by exwannabe; Jun 8, 2019 at 5:30 pm
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*

OK. But what I’m not getting is that the IAD flight leaves after the point where they’d have missed the ALT-IAD leg. Does that not still void the rest? Sorry, I’m probably being dense here.
If they just turn up at IAD without taking the original ATL flight (or some other pre-arranged agreement with UA) then the ticket would be cancelled
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Checking the weather forecast - I'd hop on a plane and get to IAD or DCA tonight. Ideally - transfer to the first ATL-EWR flight tomorrow, and fly EWR-PEK. {T}he EWR weather tomorrow is supposed to be better.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 9, 2019 at 12:09 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
If they just turn up at IAD without taking the original ATL flight (or some other pre-arranged agreement with UA) then the ticket would be cancelled
Correct. However, if would not have been out of the realm of possibility for UA to agree to move the ATL-IAD segment to tonight. I think that's what the original suggestion was, but the language wasn't entirely clear.
raehl311 and pmarrsouth like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.