Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather (May 8-11, 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather (May 8-11, 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Waiver now May 9-11, 2019.

David
Old May 10, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Flooding reportedly affected the catering facility at IAH. The pilot on our flight ex-IAH said "if you know anyone flying to Sydney or Dubai today, tell them to stop by the Wendy's at the food court before they go." Our 3-hour midcon had pretzels and cookies available, and then also a second serving of pretzels and cookies.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
SAN-IAH flight last night diverted to SAT. Absolutely no information when we got there. Luckily they let use deplane using stairs. I took a Lyft back to Austin. Thank God for expense accounts.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
I left early!

i was at the big OTC show and left on the 8th after paying a change fee because the flooding was getting ridiculous. I didn’t want to be stuck.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
My flight May 9 from iah-sfo, UA1844 departure 8p delayed and canceled. I heard mention of 60+ flights canceled from late incoming aircraft (or diverted from Houston). Weather waiver message showed on UA app around 4:3p Houston time, but too late for me to grab UA1700 departure 4:4p that left on time. Rebooked last flight UA385 departure 9:35p flight kept pushing back every 30min because unrelenting lightening, finally departing 2:28a but replacement pilot timed out while plane was taxing to runway takeoff !
No available seat May 10 to sfo til 12p UA1815

Houston weather worsened starting evening of May 9, but it was bad earlier this week already. Flight operations center completely failed proactively plan earlier weather waiver change option to give passengers chance to get out of Houston or re-routing flights away from Houston.

Last edited by npei; May 10, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Old May 10, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by npei
My flight May 9 from iah-sfo, UA1844 departure 8p delayed and canceled. I heard mention of 60+ flights canceled from late incoming aircraft (or diverted from Houston). Weather waiver message showed on UA app around 4:3p Houston time, but too late for me to grab UA1700 departure 4:4p that left on time. Rebooked last flight UA385 departure 9:35p flight kept pushing back every 30min because unrelenting lightening, finally departing 2:28a but replacement pilot timed out while plane was taxing to runway takeoff !
No available seat May 10 to sfo til 12p UA1815

Houston weather worsened starting evening of May 9, but it was bad earlier this week already. Flight operations center completely failed proactively plan earlier weather waiver change option to give passengers chance to get out of Houston or re-routing flights away from Houston.
Did you think of any connection flight? Just get on a flight to any city and then try to get to SFO.
Sorry to hear your trouble.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Iah-Den sold out, then canceled.
Lax and Las sold out for 6p and 8pm flights. The last flights also canceled.
Making it worse was when UA385 canceled due to pilot timeout, it was 2:5a and UC closed and regular customer service line was 100+ person long from all the cancellations. No good hotel choices at that hour, decided to skip and tried standby (unsuccessfully) for 7:2a and 9:3a and 10a flights.

Old May 11, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Flew out of DFW last night and we had dregs of catering left over from that morning's ERJ catering from wherever it started.

Our crew told us that the storm knocked out power to IAH's catering facility. That's why everything was going out of IAH without food.

Our MESA crew was phenomenal in the face of their third diversion of the day with our flight, lack of catering, and just being dog-tired. The flight deck and FAs kept us super informed, worked their tails off with service, and when a pax brought them all food and snacks from the airport where we were diverted, thanked that pax profusely on the intercom. The plane applauded that fine gent.

All in all, the crew and pax all made the best of a bad situation, rather than exacerbate it with anger and frustration. The crew set the tone for being kind in the face of challenges, and the pax responded in kind. Big ^ all around.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
DFW has been no picnic either. My swimming pool and garden pond are now just one large body of water.
I'm ready to move to the desert : (
Old May 11, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
DFW has been no picnic either. My swimming pool and garden pond are now just one large body of water.
I'm ready to move to the desert : (
We've had a hair under 4/10 inch here over the past week. That's quite a lot for us this time of year, but fortunately not enough to produce excessive mud.

But the desert is very "green" of late.
chavala likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Have conditions improved since the storm and flooding? Has anyone else had flights affected by catering issues? I'm scheduled to connect in IAH on Tuesday (inbound Polaris, outbound domestic F) and would look into other options if things are expected to still be bad. Hope everyone in the area is recovering from the floods!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.