Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather (May 8-11, 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Houston, TX (IAH)​
Rebook by May 12 14, 2019.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (posted): 1+

David

Last edited by DELee; May 10, 2019 at 11:03 am Reason: waiver revised/extended for May 9-11, 2019
Old May 7, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FWIW, if UA had been on top of its game,, a whole bunch of folks could have avoided IAH today as well. I'm still waiting for my 4+ hour delayed flight to IAD and had to sit out on the tarmac for an hour on my flight in from LAX earlier.

Also, if UA is reading this thread, it would be advisable to extend thru May 9th given the thunderstorms predicted.

David
Air Houston likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Yep, Houston is suffering flooding worse than that from Hurricane Harvey, per the Weather Channel. Plus half a dozen homes on fire due to lightning strikes.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Yup, I connected at IAH today en route to DTW. 5.5 hours delay amid a 4 hour ground stop. Captain was very informative (as best he could be) and he and the FA answered questions about possible crew time outs and we were close. As it happens the extra fuel (to bypass the storm) arrived in time and our plane was allowed to cut the line for take off. 5.5 hours late but I made it in time for tomorrow’s meetings.

And while we we were on the plane all cellphones went off with an emergency flash flood alert.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
IAH is completely sideways: sat a while waiting for an occupied gate, and then lightning struck nearby so they've cleared the ramp for safety. A lot of aircraft waiting for gates, we're coming up on an hour.

I count 27 aircraft waiting for gates, mostly UA/UAX.

Last edited by mduell; May 7, 2019 at 9:56 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Yeah - thunder is really loud outside right now.

Glad I'm not traveling this week.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
IAH was a disaster today. My original IAH-SAT flight was cancelled, I was rebooked onto a flight that is delayed 12 hours (and counting), and I wound up heading back to the rental car center, picking up another rental car, and driving home to San Antonio.
TexasAggie02 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Yep, Houston is suffering flooding worse than that from Hurricane Harvey, per the Weather Channel. Plus half a dozen homes on fire due to lightning strikes.
Kingwood near IAH had about 10" rain. Many areas had about 5~6". My home near downtown had about 2". None of these compare with 51".

Maybe they intended to report that it was the heaviest rain since Harvey, certainly not worse. But I don't even think that would be correct.
GeneDoc likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
Kingwood near IAH had about 10" rain. Many areas had about 5~6". My home near downtown had about 2". None of these compare with 51".

Maybe they intended to report that it was the heaviest rain since Harvey, certainly not worse. But I don't even think that would be correct.
They didn't say the rainfall was worse; they said the flooding was worse. @:-)
Old May 8, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
They didn't say the rainfall was worse; they said the flooding was worse. @:-)
The rainfall isn't significant enough to cause flooding like Harvey. It's bad, but it isn't THAT bad. How do they define "worse" I wonder??
Old May 8, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Even if it's not Harvey bad, 10" of rain is bad.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
IAH-SAT

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
IAH was a disaster today. My original IAH-SAT flight was cancelled, I was rebooked onto a flight that is delayed 12 hours (and counting), and I wound up heading back to the rental car center, picking up another rental car, and driving home to San Antonio.
Having lived here a long time driving to San Antonio, Austin or Dallas is about the same amount of total time as flying. I have a friend whose boss when he goes to Austin flies FC. He could drive it faster if you count leaving home and getting to airport in time. I gave up on flying it when I went to a conference in Dallas. Due to weather I was 8 hours late getting home. I could have driven it faster.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by leiserom
Having lived here a long time driving to San Antonio, Austin or Dallas is about the same amount of total time as flying. I have a friend whose boss when he goes to Austin flies FC. He could drive it faster if you count leaving home and getting to airport in time. I gave up on flying it when I went to a conference in Dallas. Due to weather I was 8 hours late getting home. I could have driven it faster.
I live in Austin and end up flying out of Houston pretty often even for award flights it seems. I guess its mostly due to my redemptions (flying ANA didn't allow a domestic connection, flyng QR didn't have any good award flights AUS-IAH because one world it all went through DFW)

Anyways, I really don't mind driving to IAH anyways only 3 hours or so.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lindaiah
The rainfall isn't significant enough to cause flooding like Harvey. It's bad, but it isn't THAT bad. How do they define "worse" I wonder??
There was a Sugarland resident interviewed on TWC this morning who stated that the flooding in his neighborhood was worse than during Harvey. The heaviest rainfall was somewhat localized, but if your house was in one of those areas you likely got clobbered.

Gotta love it when they completely pave over a swamp...
Old May 9, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Waiver re-posted/updated now for May 9-10, 2019.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.