Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather (May 8-11, 2019)

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather (May 8-11, 2019)

Old May 7, 19, 7:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 3,913
Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather (May 8-11, 2019)

Airports:
  • Houston, TX (IAH)​
Rebook by May 12 14, 2019.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (posted): 1+

David

Last edited by DELee; May 10, 19 at 12:03 pm Reason: waiver revised/extended for May 9-11, 2019
DELee is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 7:47 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 3,913
FWIW, if UA had been on top of its game,, a whole bunch of folks could have avoided IAH today as well. I'm still waiting for my 4+ hour delayed flight to IAD and had to sit out on the tarmac for an hour on my flight in from LAX earlier.

Also, if UA is reading this thread, it would be advisable to extend thru May 9th given the thunderstorms predicted.

David
Air Houston likes this.
DELee is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 9:20 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 21,350
Yep, Houston is suffering flooding worse than that from Hurricane Harvey, per the Weather Channel. Plus half a dozen homes on fire due to lightning strikes.
DenverBrian is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 10:04 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland OR
Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Posts: 550
Yup, I connected at IAH today en route to DTW. 5.5 hours delay amid a 4 hour ground stop. Captain was very informative (as best he could be) and he and the FA answered questions about possible crew time outs and we were close. As it happens the extra fuel (to bypass the storm) arrived in time and our plane was allowed to cut the line for take off. 5.5 hours late but I made it in time for tomorrow’s meetings.

And while we we were on the plane all cellphones went off with an emergency flash flood alert.
usbusinesstraveller is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 10:49 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 11,214
IAH is completely sideways: sat a while waiting for an occupied gate, and then lightning struck nearby so they've cleared the ramp for safety. A lot of aircraft waiting for gates, we're coming up on an hour.

I count 27 aircraft waiting for gates, mostly UA/UAX.

Last edited by mduell; May 7, 19 at 10:56 pm
mduell is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 10:51 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: IAH
Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Posts: 621
Yeah - thunder is really loud outside right now.

Glad I'm not traveling this week.
brp1264 is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 12:20 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SAT
Programs: AA Platinum Pro; UA Gold MM; DL Gold; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Posts: 23,589
IAH was a disaster today. My original IAH-SAT flight was cancelled, I was rebooked onto a flight that is delayed 12 hours (and counting), and I wound up heading back to the rental car center, picking up another rental car, and driving home to San Antonio.
TexasAggie02 likes this.
SAT Lawyer is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 10:24 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IAH, SGN, BKK
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 379
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Yep, Houston is suffering flooding worse than that from Hurricane Harvey, per the Weather Channel. Plus half a dozen homes on fire due to lightning strikes.
Kingwood near IAH had about 10" rain. Many areas had about 5~6". My home near downtown had about 2". None of these compare with 51".

Maybe they intended to report that it was the heaviest rain since Harvey, certainly not worse. But I don't even think that would be correct.
GeneDoc likes this.
AndyInSaigon is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 10:41 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 21,350
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon View Post
Kingwood near IAH had about 10" rain. Many areas had about 5~6". My home near downtown had about 2". None of these compare with 51".

Maybe they intended to report that it was the heaviest rain since Harvey, certainly not worse. But I don't even think that would be correct.
They didn't say the rainfall was worse; they said the flooding was worse. @:-)
DenverBrian is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 11:53 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
They didn't say the rainfall was worse; they said the flooding was worse. @:-)
The rainfall isn't significant enough to cause flooding like Harvey. It's bad, but it isn't THAT bad. How do they define "worse" I wonder??
lindaiah is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 11:58 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 10,118
Even if it's not Harvey bad, 10" of rain is bad.
wrp96 is online now  
Old May 8, 19, 12:26 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 157
IAH-SAT

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer View Post
IAH was a disaster today. My original IAH-SAT flight was cancelled, I was rebooked onto a flight that is delayed 12 hours (and counting), and I wound up heading back to the rental car center, picking up another rental car, and driving home to San Antonio.
Having lived here a long time driving to San Antonio, Austin or Dallas is about the same amount of total time as flying. I have a friend whose boss when he goes to Austin flies FC. He could drive it faster if you count leaving home and getting to airport in time. I gave up on flying it when I went to a conference in Dallas. Due to weather I was 8 hours late getting home. I could have driven it faster.
leiserom is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 1:35 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by leiserom View Post
Having lived here a long time driving to San Antonio, Austin or Dallas is about the same amount of total time as flying. I have a friend whose boss when he goes to Austin flies FC. He could drive it faster if you count leaving home and getting to airport in time. I gave up on flying it when I went to a conference in Dallas. Due to weather I was 8 hours late getting home. I could have driven it faster.
I live in Austin and end up flying out of Houston pretty often even for award flights it seems. I guess its mostly due to my redemptions (flying ANA didn't allow a domestic connection, flyng QR didn't have any good award flights AUS-IAH because one world it all went through DFW)

Anyways, I really don't mind driving to IAH anyways only 3 hours or so.
quitecryptic is offline  
Old May 8, 19, 2:22 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,451
Originally Posted by lindaiah View Post
The rainfall isn't significant enough to cause flooding like Harvey. It's bad, but it isn't THAT bad. How do they define "worse" I wonder??
There was a Sugarland resident interviewed on TWC this morning who stated that the flooding in his neighborhood was worse than during Harvey. The heaviest rainfall was somewhat localized, but if your house was in one of those areas you likely got clobbered.

Gotta love it when they completely pave over a swamp...
Bonehead is offline  
Old May 9, 19, 8:12 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 3,913
Waiver re-posted/updated now for May 9-10, 2019.

David
DELee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: