FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather (May 8-11, 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1968685-travel-waiver-iah-severe-weather-may-8-11-2019-a.html)

DELee May 7, 2019 6:39 pm

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather (May 8-11, 2019)

Airports:

• Houston, TX (IAH)​

Rebook by May 12 14, 2019.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (posted): 1+

David

DELee May 7, 2019 6:47 pm

FWIW, if UA had been on top of its game,, a whole bunch of folks could have avoided IAH today as well. I'm still waiting for my 4+ hour delayed flight to IAD and had to sit out on the tarmac for an hour on my flight in from LAX earlier.

Also, if UA is reading this thread, it would be advisable to extend thru May 9th given the thunderstorms predicted.

David

DenverBrian May 7, 2019 8:20 pm

Yep, Houston is suffering flooding worse than that from Hurricane Harvey, per the Weather Channel. Plus half a dozen homes on fire due to lightning strikes.

usbusinesstraveller May 7, 2019 9:04 pm

Yup, I connected at IAH today en route to DTW. 5.5 hours delay amid a 4 hour ground stop. Captain was very informative (as best he could be) and he and the FA answered questions about possible crew time outs and we were close. As it happens the extra fuel (to bypass the storm) arrived in time and our plane was allowed to cut the line for take off. 5.5 hours late but I made it in time for tomorrow’s meetings.

And while we we were on the plane all cellphones went off with an emergency flash flood alert.

mduell May 7, 2019 9:49 pm

IAH is completely sideways: sat a while waiting for an occupied gate, and then lightning struck nearby so they've cleared the ramp for safety. A lot of aircraft waiting for gates, we're coming up on an hour.

I count 27 aircraft waiting for gates, mostly UA/UAX.

brp1264 May 7, 2019 9:51 pm

Yeah - thunder is really loud outside right now.

Glad I'm not traveling this week.

SAT Lawyer May 7, 2019 11:20 pm

IAH was a disaster today. My original IAH-SAT flight was cancelled, I was rebooked onto a flight that is delayed 12 hours (and counting), and I wound up heading back to the rental car center, picking up another rental car, and driving home to San Antonio.

AndyInSaigon May 8, 2019 9:24 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 31077976)
Yep, Houston is suffering flooding worse than that from Hurricane Harvey, per the Weather Channel. Plus half a dozen homes on fire due to lightning strikes.

Kingwood near IAH had about 10" rain. Many areas had about 5~6". My home near downtown had about 2". None of these compare with 51".

Maybe they intended to report that it was the heaviest rain since Harvey, certainly not worse. But I don't even think that would be correct.

DenverBrian May 8, 2019 9:41 am

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon (Post 31079637)
Kingwood near IAH had about 10" rain. Many areas had about 5~6". My home near downtown had about 2". None of these compare with 51".

Maybe they intended to report that it was the heaviest rain since Harvey, certainly not worse. But I don't even think that would be correct.

They didn't say the rainfall was worse; they said the flooding was worse. @:-)

lindaiah May 8, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 31079707)
They didn't say the rainfall was worse; they said the flooding was worse. @:-)

The rainfall isn't significant enough to cause flooding like Harvey. It's bad, but it isn't THAT bad. How do they define "worse" I wonder??

wrp96 May 8, 2019 10:58 am

Even if it's not Harvey bad, 10" of rain is bad.

leiserom May 8, 2019 11:26 am

IAH-SAT

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer (Post 31078301)
IAH was a disaster today. My original IAH-SAT flight was cancelled, I was rebooked onto a flight that is delayed 12 hours (and counting), and I wound up heading back to the rental car center, picking up another rental car, and driving home to San Antonio.

Having lived here a long time driving to San Antonio, Austin or Dallas is about the same amount of total time as flying. I have a friend whose boss when he goes to Austin flies FC. He could drive it faster if you count leaving home and getting to airport in time. I gave up on flying it when I went to a conference in Dallas. Due to weather I was 8 hours late getting home. I could have driven it faster.

quitecryptic May 8, 2019 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by leiserom (Post 31080147)
Having lived here a long time driving to San Antonio, Austin or Dallas is about the same amount of total time as flying. I have a friend whose boss when he goes to Austin flies FC. He could drive it faster if you count leaving home and getting to airport in time. I gave up on flying it when I went to a conference in Dallas. Due to weather I was 8 hours late getting home. I could have driven it faster.

I live in Austin and end up flying out of Houston pretty often even for award flights it seems. I guess its mostly due to my redemptions (flying ANA didn't allow a domestic connection, flyng QR didn't have any good award flights AUS-IAH because one world it all went through DFW)

Anyways, I really don't mind driving to IAH anyways only 3 hours or so.

Bonehead May 8, 2019 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by lindaiah (Post 31080000)
The rainfall isn't significant enough to cause flooding like Harvey. It's bad, but it isn't THAT bad. How do they define "worse" I wonder??

There was a Sugarland resident interviewed on TWC this morning who stated that the flooding in his neighborhood was worse than during Harvey. The heaviest rainfall was somewhat localized, but if your house was in one of those areas you likely got clobbered.

Gotta love it when they completely pave over a swamp...

DELee May 9, 2019 7:12 pm

Waiver re-posted/updated now for May 9-10, 2019.

David