Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being able to hear cabin announcements

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 8:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
UAL FAs have new standard announcements as of April. They might even be worse than before, but thankfully the company has finally given a green light to some minor personalization.

Originally Posted by TBD
This is some good timing. I was just wondering why airlines even do safety videos anymore. I'm somehow able to fasten my seat belt every time I drive a car without having to ignore a video first. There's no demonstration for putting my life jacket on when I get in a boat. Or how to escape the Metro in DC when it's on fire (which seems far more necessary than any airline training).

I'm glad my episode of Brooklyn 99 runs uninterrupted. The crew make too many announcements as it is.
You may know how, but not everyone who steps foot onto a plan knows how. I can't tell you how many times I've had to show someone how to use the seatbelt extender.

You may also know how to properly put on an oxygen mask, but clearly not everyone on WN1380 knew how to when they needed it. So the FAA will continue to require Airlines to do demonstrate use of these things.

Originally Posted by Aspen
Captive audience subjected to excessive unnecessary announcements - any wonder passengers tune out during the safety briefing ?

It well may be nice to hear the names of the cockpit crew - but is it really necessary ?

Can anyone remember the names of the cockpit crew from their last flight ?

The purser tells us: "The captain has told us flying time with be xx hours and xx minutes."

Guaranteed, less than five minutes later, the captain comes on and tells us: "Flying time will be xx hours and xx minutes."

Can anyone remember a flight that has not happened ?

Hey pursers, let the captain tell us about the flight details and you can tell us about the in-cabin service.

Not a rant or complaint but simply observations.
Certainly, the credit card announcements are superfluous. I think the >10,000 feet ones are a drag as well (variety of beverages, snack cart, bistro, wifi, directv, etc...).

There's a thread on here (Ch.9 availability?) where people track that Captain's name, so some people enjoy that. Not every flight deck gives a time to the passengers, just like not every purser does, either. I won't give one if the captain already has, but technically we're all supposed to (or were, since I haven't checked the latest announcements that thoroughly...)
Old May 3, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had trouble hearing announcements over the cabin PA on the 777, both the 772 and the 773. It does seem like a potential safety issue, but I'm not aware of any regulation requiring checks of the audibility or output dB level for the PA. (Are there any?)
Old May 3, 2019, 8:06 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Sykes
pmUA would have disagreed with you. They considered making a decisive statement that safety was a priority to be a clear marketing tactic. It was so deliberate that some of their last pre-merger safety videos just said the word "safety" no fewer than 6 times.
I think I'm tracking now. You're referring to marketing in favor of getting some safety information in travelers' heads. Not marketing (as in promotion) of the airline/industry. Thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted by HMPS
So how many pax take notice or KNOW where the Emergency Exit Doors are ? I have flown a lot but yet follow coplete briefings, even trying to remember how many rows do I have to pass to get to the Exit behind me. You may know "everything" about evacuation but just think of those who are too busy to pay attention to announcements panicking when we all need to get the heck out. Smoke is a big killer too.
I think only a few passengers know where the exit door is. But I also think the number of passengers who know before and after the safety demonstration is roughly the same.

Originally Posted by fezzington
You may know how, but not everyone who steps foot onto a plan knows how. I can't tell you how many times I've had to show someone how to use the seatbelt extender. You may also know how to properly put on an oxygen mask, but clearly not everyone on WN1380 knew how to when they needed it. So the FAA will continue to require Airlines to do demonstrate use of these things.
Not sure I buy that. While you've "had to show" people how to use a seatbelt before, I've never done (or seen others do) that. To my point above, yea not everyone on that flight new how to use the O2 mask, but I think the number of people is not changed by the safety video. If anything, that flight is an example of how safety instructions are NOT effective. I'm comfortable that I know how to use the mask. And I'll gladly help my neighbor with his/hers (after I've got mine on .. as instructed).
Old May 3, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
I have had trouble hearing announcements over the cabin PA on the 777.....
Except for the mid-flight/while you're sleeping, "PLEASE FASTEN YOUR SAFETY BELTS" announcement - for some reason I can hear that one very clearly.
TBD likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by garykung
Emergencies, by their own natures, are chaotic. Even a well-prepared person can still respond away from expected.

Just because the full plane have paid all necessary attention to the safety briefing, it does not mean things can't go chaotic.
Your observation can / will be true with degree of variance depending on the pax demographics. Logically, those of us who listen to it EVERY time may behave with some calmness and purpose.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:14 am

I actually like listening to the PA announcements from the captain or FO about flight conditions, weather at destination, things we may see en route, etc. Too often this is very quiet and I can barely hear it. However, I find it a blessing when the 10k feet announcement is nice and quiet.

I hope that if there is ever a real emergency the FAs and pilots making announcements will think to crank up the volume.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
I think I'm tracking now. You're referring to marketing in favor of getting some safety information in travelers' heads. Not marketing (as in promotion) of the airline/industry. Thanks for clarifying.

I think only a few passengers know where the exit door is. But I also think the number of passengers who know before and after the safety demonstration is roughly the same.
Because they do not pay attention to the announcement, nor bother to look backward !!!!!!!
Old May 4, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
For those who keep asking why even bother to have videos or tell you how to fasten a seat belt, it’s because they are legally required to do so. This is from 14CFR121. Obviously “certificate holder” means the airline.

§ 121.571 Briefing passengers before takeoff.(a) Each certificate holder operating a passenger-carrying airplane shall insure that all passengers are orally briefed by the appropriate crewmember as follows:

(1) Before each takeoff, on each of the following:

(i)Smoking. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions smoking is prohibited including, but not limited to, any applicable requirements of part 252 of this title). This briefing shall include a statement that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with the lighted passenger information signs, posted placards, areas designated for safety purposes as no smoking areas, and crewmember instructions with regard to these items. The briefing shall also include a statement that Federal law prohibits tampering with, disabling, or destroying any smoke detector in an airplane lavatory; smoking in lavatories; and, when applicable, smoking in passenger compartments.

(ii) The location of emergency exits.

(iii) The use of safety belts, including instructions on how to fasten and unfasten the safety belts. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions the safety belt must be fastened about that passenger. This briefing shall include a statement that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with lighted passenger information signs and crewmember instructions concerning the use of safety belts.

(iv) The location and use of any required emergency flotation means.

(v) On operations that do not use a flight attendant, the following additional information:

(A) The placement of seat backs in an upright position before takeoff and landing.

(B) Location of survival equipment.

(C) If the flight involves operations above 12,000 MSL, the normal and emergency use of oxygen.

(D) Location and operation of fire extinguisher.

(2) After each takeoff, immediately before or immediately after turning the seat belt sign off, an announcement shall be made that passengers should keep their seat belts fastened, while seated, even when the seat belt sign is off.

(3) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(4) of this section, before each takeoff a required crewmemberassigned to the flight shall conduct an individual briefing of each person who may need the assistance of another person to move expeditiously to an exit in the event of an emergency. In the briefing the required crewmember shall -

(i) Brief the person and his attendant, if any, on the routes to each appropriate exit and on the most appropriate time to begin moving to an exit in the event of an emergency; and

(ii) Inquire of the person and his attendant, if any, as to the most appropriate manner of assisting the person so as to prevent pain and further injury.

(4) The requirements of paragraph (a)(3) of this section do not apply to a person who has been given a briefing before a previous leg of a flight in the same aircraft when the crewmembers on duty have been advised as to the most appropriate manner of assisting the person so as to prevent pain and further injury.

(b) Each certificate holder must carry on each passenger-carrying airplane, in convenient locations for use of each passenger, printed cards supplementing the oral briefing. Each card must contain information pertinent only to the type and model of airplane used for that flight, including -

(1) Diagrams of, and methods of operating, the emergency exits;

(2) Other instructions necessary for use of emergency equipment; and

(3) No later than June 12, 2005, for Domestic and Flag scheduled passenger-carrying flights, the sentence, “Final assembly of this airplane was completed in [INSERT NAME OF COUNTRY].”

(c) The certificate holder shall describe in its manual the procedure to be followed in the briefing required by paragraph (a) of this section.

[Doc. No. 2033, 30 FR 3206, Mar. 9, 1965]
Old May 4, 2019, 5:53 pm

So according to above airlines are doing their job. It is us the flyers who have to co operate by paying attention to announcements..
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by HMPS
So according to above airlines are doing their job. It is us the flyers who have to co operate by paying attention to announcements..
Hence - nothing can be done.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATLintheair
For those who keep asking why even bother to have videos or tell you how to fasten a seat belt, it’s because they are legally required to do so. This is from 14CFR121. Obviously “certificate holder” means the airline.

§ 121.571 Briefing passengers before takeoff.(a) Each certificate holder operating a passenger-carrying airplane shall insure that all passengers are orally briefed by the appropriate crewmember as follows:

(1) Before each takeoff, on each of the following:

{redacted}

(D) Location and operation of fire extinguisher.

{redacted}

(3) No later than June 12, 2005, for Domestic and Flag scheduled passenger-carrying flights, the sentence, “Final assembly of this airplane was completed in [INSERT NAME OF COUNTRY].”

I pay attention to the safety briefings at least 80% of the time (sometimes I fall asleep before it takes place) but I don't ever recall being told the location of a fire extinguisher or where the plane was built.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:58 pm

On the 772 planes I've flown between Hawaii and lax/sfo/den/iah/ord, the announcements stop the personal device entertainment at VERY loud volume. Very dfferent from the 737s, which didn't seem to interrupt the shows.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by kale73
I pay attention to the safety briefings at least 80% of the time (sometimes I fall asleep before it takes place) but I don't ever recall being told the location of a fire extinguisher or where the plane was built.[/left]
Fire extinguisher briefings are only required on flights that do not use a flight attendant. It's a lot easier to read when the indentations are included. The Cornell site makes it a bit easier to read: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.571
Old May 5, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Sykes
Fire extinguisher briefings are only required on flights that do not use a flight attendant. It's a lot easier to read when the indentations are included. The Cornell site makes it a bit easier to read: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.571
Interesting. I don't remember ever being told where the fire extinguisher is on an AC Beechcraft 1900 (recognizing Canada might have different regulations). But then one can't much on those aircraft anyways. Though its all made up with the great views out of the cockpit!
Old May 5, 2019, 6:21 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
...I don't think anyone is saying the airlines should break the law. The question is whether airlines should be required to have this demonstration in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.