FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Being able to hear cabin announcements (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1967800-being-able-hear-cabin-announcements.html)

ATLintheair May 1, 2019 12:01 pm

Being able to hear cabin announcements

I just wondered what people think about this. We all know that many customers do not listen to or sometimes can’t hear cabin announcements by the FAs or flight deck. Sometimes the clarity is poor or the volume too weak, but in general you can hear if you pay attention. If you’re using the IFE it interrupts play for the message.

But with the trend to push people onto their own devices (and we know how loud some people have those even on the ground!) they are, for the most part, little able to hear announcements. Is that a safety issue that perhaps needs to be addressed? Is it even an issue?

SwaBiz May 1, 2019 1:27 pm

Considering that every time a youtube clip pops up where there is a decompression and people don't ever have their masks on properly It probably is an issue.

Aussienarelle May 1, 2019 1:39 pm

The Darwin awards come to mind, aka the stupid penalty.

I learned early on in my flying experiences when I sat next to a Boeing engineer who helped me with some of my fears about flying. He had been in three crashes (all on landing and he explained why the survival rate is best in that circumstance). When the FA/crew were making announcements he would stop talking and listen. He explained that those announcements, i.e. listening/paying attention, can be the difference between life and death. Something I have never, ever forgotten. I think the year was 1989...(yes I am old!)

tarheelnj May 1, 2019 1:47 pm

How about UA creating online safety training for passengers? You complete it successfully and you get xxxx miles/PQM's/etc.

Sykes May 1, 2019 1:50 pm

Passengers that don't feel compelled to listen to safety announcements aren't going to listen, regardless of whether or not they have their devices out. It's not a new problem, it's just a new take on an existing problem. There really isn't anything to be done here.

Aussienarelle May 1, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 31057340)
How about UA creating online safety training for passengers? You complete it successfully and you get xxxx miles/PQM's/etc.

Love that idea!

Especially as you would need different training for each aircraft type!

emcampbe May 1, 2019 1:59 pm

When BYOD entertainment came out, I was surprised when making an announcement didn’t pause the entertainment. I admit to be no expert in avionics or anything, but given the server with the content is onboard, I don’t see how it could be that complicated to get it to happen like it does with the built-in AVOD.

Wonder if it’s a quirk in regulation that hasn’t caught up to the times, where on board AVOD is specifically required to be paused, but BYOD isn’t, therefore the airlines didn’t make the investment because, well, they didn’t have to. Do other US BYOD carriers pause for announcements? Do other foreign BYOD carriers do it?

that said, I unfortunately agree with the ‘those who don’t want to listen aren’t going to listen’ no matter the regulations in place to try to make them. TV might pause, but there’s always a newspaper, Hemispheres or any other number of non-electronic distractions that one could focus on when they don’t want to listen.

Gynob001 May 1, 2019 2:36 pm

I am one of those

Originally Posted by ATLintheair (Post 31056988)
I just wondered what people think about this. We all know that many customers do not listen to or sometimes can’t hear cabin announcements by the FAs or flight deck. Sometimes the clarity is poor or the volume too weak, but in general you can hear if you pay attention. If you’re using the IFE it interrupts play for the message.

But with the trend to push people onto their own devices (and we know how loud some people have those even on the ground!) they are, for the most part, little able to hear announcements. Is that a safety issue that perhaps needs to be addressed? Is it even an issue?

​​​​​​I am one of those who can't hear cabin announcements, partly due to my hearing loss and partly due to poor quality of audio equipment in the plane. Ancient audio technology, cheap speakers/microphone (probably that is on a phone set), poor placement of speakers, etc contribute. I think it is time for major Audio equipment companies, such as Bose or JBL or any other, should take an interest. We look for the best audio in car but in plane we are solely dependent on our own devices for better quality entertainment.

exwannabe May 1, 2019 2:57 pm

On my last flight, DL, I missed the safety instructions and was scared I would not be able to figure out how to fasten my seat belt.

Back to reality, if they kept the messages clear of all the clutter and advertisements then a more intrusive "dong" of some sort would not bother me. But I really hate being disturbed while I am a captive and they want to advertise their product, then thank every pax individually by name, sell credit cards and give you a totally random flight status. Oh, and tell me once more how to fasten a frggen seat belt.

seanp7 May 1, 2019 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 31057530)
On my last flight, DL, I missed the safety instructions and was scared I would not be able to figure out how to fasten my seat belt.

Yes, being shown how to fasten your safety belt AFTER the plane has pushed back is about as useful as being shown how to put my bag in the overhead shortly thereafter...

Just tell me not to smoke, show me the exits, tell me to take my heels off on the slide, show the silly kangaroo, and then let me go back to sleep. 30 seconds and done.

:D

Annalisa12 May 1, 2019 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7 (Post 31057551)
Yes, being shown how to fasten your safety belt AFTER the plane has pushed back is about as useful as being shown how to put my bag in the overhead shortly thereafter...

Just tell me not to smoke, show me the exits, tell me to take my heels off on the slide, show the silly kangaroo, and then let me go back to sleep. 30 seconds and done.

:D

Wouldn't the seat belt instructions be to stop people suing when they hit turbulance and hurt themselves

dinoscool3 May 1, 2019 3:39 pm

The seatbelt instructions are also about repetition. Since airplane seatbelts are different from car seatbelts there’s a worry that in an emergency people would instinctually try to push a button rather than lift up. By repeating it, it gets drummed into the head.

But I agree with those mentioning that most the announcements are useless. I don’t want to listen to all the credit card announcements, what the food is in economy, etc. In an emergency I’ll obviously listen, I’m generally looking out the window for takeoff and landing anyways.

mr8 May 1, 2019 5:17 pm

Is this even an issue? Lots of UA's aircrafts don't even have a display, so don't they have to do the instructions the old way again?

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 31057386)
When BYOD entertainment came out, I was surprised when making an announcement didn’t pause the entertainment. I admit to be no expert in avionics or anything, but given the server with the content is onboard, I don’t see how it could be that complicated to get it to happen like it does with the built-in AVOD.

UA's star alliance partner ANA does this for entertainment on their app so it is possible. They also have free internet and live TV. Wouldn't mind if United copied the free internet part while they're at it!

COSPILOT May 1, 2019 5:49 pm

You could have some robot force you to face toward the FA and listen, yet some wouldn't pay attention in the moment or even retain the info. I stop what I'm doing, I pay attention, and I even review the safety card to ensure I know what to do. That's as a frequent flyer and a private pilot. Only takes a minute of my time. But I'm a little different, as I always think of best exit strategy, also with a plan B. This includes my home, every hotel, heck, every building I enter. It's not just airplanes, but any event, whether fire or terrorism, has made me aware of my surroundings at all times. I've had my share of events in life, and I prefer to keep on living.

Giantlonglegs May 1, 2019 7:19 pm

KLM's Version

KLM has the right idea with their distinctive video safety briefs on long haul flights. It's unique and interesting.

Being ex-Royal Navy, I always take an interest more in the inflatable life jacket demo. To see if there are any new features.

Passengers should should always take note of the safety demos, but especially the inflatable life jacket demo. I wonder if a passenger should volunteer to do it, or the staff pick a passenger to do it, failure to help should be a legal reason to get booted off the aircraft, perhaps then passengers would pay more attention.

I concur sometimes the tannoy announcements aren't audible enough, through no fault of the staff.