Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD-YUL is "First Class" but YUL-IAD is "Business Class"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

If I could find the "least substantive complaint" thread this might belong there but curious about the "why":

On Thursday I flew ORD-YUL on a Republic-operated E170 and my boarding pass, flight status on UA.com, etc. showed the front cabin as "First Class" while today's YUL-IAD on a Mesa-operated CR7 is showing the same cabin as "Business Class"

Business is what I expect the trans-border front cabin to be called (and thus what I tag them as in FlightMemory/my.flightradar) so I'm curious what made ORD-YUL worthy of being called First Class and if it should be or shouldn't be for my own record keeping

Like I said...not substantial at all, possibly obsessive
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:56 am

Correct, any flight outside the CO US / 50 States should be labelled J. Why it is not on occasion is likely due to UA IT. Having flown TB UA flights in J, I can assure you it's not F, particularly when you're on a CRJ

-James
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
They are both technically "Business Class". United often has trouble coding these flights. I have flown ORD-IAH and the boarding pass showed "Business Class". Once I flew SJU-EWR and they accidentally printed me two boarding passes-in a row. One said First and the other said Business. For the same flight. Printed at the exact same time. United is weird that way.
lincolnjkc and Air Houston like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
You're welcome: My trivial gripe. What's yours?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I assume you mean United First and United Business? Otherwise, both are wrong
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
I assume you mean United First and United Business? Otherwise, both are wrong
According to the airport-printed boarding passes I was in "First Class" and "Business Class" -- though looking at the PDF boarding passes from when I did OLCI both say "United First" , but I'll let you take up that consistency issue with UA
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
According to the airport-printed boarding passes I was in "First Class" and "Business Class" -- though looking at the PDF boarding passes from when I did OLCI both say "United First" , but I'll let you take up that consistency issue with UA
‘United Business’ and ‘United First’ vernacular was consistently in place with pmUA versus ‘First Class’ emanating from the pmCO side. Just another example of the CO ‘takeover’ via many of the systems and procedures.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:47 pm

Wasn't it also CO that brought in aberrations like "BusinessFirst" which suggested that it was a product situated in between Business and First class, while in reality, it stood for "business first, service later"?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by mozilla
Wasn't it also CO that brought in aberrations like "BusinessFirst" which suggested that it was a product situated in between Business and First class, while in reality, it stood for "business first, service later"?
This shouldve been called EconomyBusiness.... a more realistic name.
cosflyer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 28, 2019 at 4:04 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by mozilla
I know... it’s water under the bridge now and was seemingly borne out of CO’s inferiority complex for not offering 3-class long haul as major competitors did. Though some might call that foresight as it’s all coming full circle now on UA long hauls featuring United Business, United Premium Plus and United Economy. It’s getting more consistent but not perfect by a long stretch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.