Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Return Flight change question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Return Flight change question

I booked a RT flight from SFO-EWR. As it turns out, I plan to still fly from SFO-EWR, but plan to return DCA-SFO. To buy a new one way from DCA-SFO cost 250. To change my flight, it cost 325. Can I just cancel the return leg? Or what if I just don't show up for the return EWR-SFO return flight? One potentially complicating factor is I am traveling with my husband, who will take the return EWR-SFO flight. But we can split PNRs, right? My FF number is on both reservations, so will they see I'm booked on two flights at the same time and cancel both?

And I have no status.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, you should cancel the return before booking the alternative. Overlapping reservations can be a problem and risk of cancellation.
With most domestic fares, RT is two one-way fares so there should be no fare change. There will be no fee to cancel.

It will require the PNR to be split, so you will be on separate PNRs on the outbound.
Are you checking bags? With some effort, you should still be able to get your traveling companions, bag waiver. But not on the return (and no E+ access).
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You can just no-show the return, as long as you don't make a habit of this kind of travel.

However, if DCA-SFO and EWR-SFO are on the same day, you will run into problems because you cannot hold two overlapping reservations at the same time. Dropping your EWR-SFO would require a change fee (ed. I think?).
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:06 pm

Did you buy the ticket within the last 24 hours and is the trip happening in over a week? If so, you should be able to cancel free or charge per DoT rules. Yes you can split PNRs at any time either online or via the call centre. Does your husband have status with UA? If so, then splitting the PNRs will result in you losing any benefits you get from flying with him (i.e. free E+ seating, free day of departure changes, etc.)

Otherwise, if we're past the DoT rules, then, and this is gonna sound strange, your best bet may actually be to fly the SFO > EWR segment initially and then make the change after you've taken the outbound flight. IIRC UA prices changes to flights differently depending on whether you've flown any of the trip or not with more favourable terms coming if you've flown parts of the trip already. I think if you change the return segment after flying the outbound segment it should work out to just a change fee with a very minor fare difference, basically is there is any availability of the new flight in the fare bucket you purchased. Switching the origin on the return may complicate matters so I'll leave it to the peanut gallery to comment on this one.

In theory you can cancel out the trip now or sometime during the travel and you'll get a credit equivalent to what the fare cost for future travel. However, when you use that travel credit UA will deduct the change fee from the ticket. I wouldn't recommend no showing since you won't gain anything out of doing so (may as well try to get some of the travel credit back).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

James
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Did you buy the ticket within the last 24 hours and is the trip happening in over a week? ....
No reported cases of UA using the seven-day limitation (and many reports of UA not enforcing it) but doubt this is a 24 hour time window booking in the first place.

and this is gonna sound strange, your best bet may actually be to fly the SFO > EWR segment initially and then make the change after you've taken the outbound flight. IIRC UA prices changes to flights differently depending on whether you've flown any of the trip or not with more favourable terms coming if you've flown parts of the trip already. ...
Generally not a factor for domestic trips. Could have been an issue for an international trip -- so not likely relevant in this case.

However, when you use that travel credit UA will deduct the change fee from the ticket
UA requires "new money" for change fees, it is not deducted from the ETC or cancelled ticket credit.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Dropping your EWR-SFO would require a change fee (ed. I think?).
I don't think they have to reissue (or revalidate) the ticket in order to drop a return flight, so I don't think they'll charge the reissue fee, but I'm admittedly unsure.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Originally Posted by findark
Dropping your EWR-SFO would require a change fee (ed. I think?).
I don't think they have to reissue (or revalidate) the ticket in order to drop a return flight, so I don't think they'll charge the reissue fee, but I'm admittedly unsure. .
I have canceled a return (as a courtesy to others) and was not charge a change fee (and fare difference) until I came back to reschedule.

The OP just needs to cancel to avoid the duplicate ticket issue (if same day - my original assumption). They do not need the ticket to be re-issued.

If the new return is on a different day, then they can skip the cancelation step and let it auto-cancel
jsloan and findark like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! I'll report back on how it worked out.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
OP: Would there be any merit to travel back to EWR and just take the original flight? Either through booking a separate OW DCA-EWR on UA mettle or taking Amtrak? Note that UA has a reputation of protecting no-shows who arrive on a late UA flight on a separate ticket.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have canceled a return (as a courtesy to others) and was not charge a change fee (and fare difference) until I came back to reschedule.
Yes, you can cancel the return online with no charge. A change fee only applies if you subsequently want to use the credit.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:54 am

Out of curiosity, could the OP do a SDC on their itinerary with it routing through IAD (i.e. EWR > IAD > SFO) then call up UA and ask them to drop the first segment? Supposing OP's hubby has UA Gold status or above the SDC would be free and after performing the change they could then split off the PNR. The benefit of routing through IAD for the hubby would be that both EWR > IAD and IAD > SFO would be CPU eligible. In addition, the lounges at IAD are a real improvement over EWR (i.e. TK and LH both easily available landside?)

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Follow up: I was unable to accomplish any of this online, I could only cancel the entire round trip or make a change, at a higher cost. After a half hour on hold, I spoke to an agent. She split the PNRs, and after 20 or so minutes of back and forth, as she was confirming the cancel and that I would have a $142 credit, told me I had to pay the $200 change fee now. I told her I wasn't going to pay United for the privilege of not flying. No ma'am, you are changing your ticket and you must pay the fee. I asked to speak to a supervisor, trying to explain that I was not going to pay them money to not fly. I would just not show up, and they would be more inconvenienced than if they would just cancel. She put me on hold and came back and told me the supervisor confirmed I could not cancel the return cancel unless I paid the fee. I said fine, I just won't show up. And then I booked my DCA-SFO on Alaska, which was 20 dollars cheaper and a more convenient time. I'll probably check in for the united flight, too, just out of spite.

And my husband doesn't have status either.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by eeeee
Follow up: I was unable to accomplish any of this online, I could only cancel the entire round trip or make a change, at a higher cost. After a half hour on hold, I spoke to an agent. She split the PNRs, and after 20 or so minutes of back and forth, as she was confirming the cancel and that I would have a $142 credit, told me I had to pay the $200 change fee now. I told her I wasn't going to pay United for the privilege of not flying. No ma'am, you are changing your ticket and you must pay the fee. I asked to speak to a supervisor, trying to explain that I was not going to pay them money to not fly. I would just not show up, and they would be more inconvenienced than if they would just cancel. She put me on hold and came back and told me the supervisor confirmed I could not cancel the return cancel unless I paid the fee. I said fine, I just won't show up. And then I booked my DCA-SFO on Alaska, which was 20 dollars cheaper and a more convenient time. I'll probably check in for the united flight, too, just out of spite.

And my husband doesn't have status either.
Most major airlines have some type of change fees with varying costs. $200 is standard for domestic flights across AA, DL, and UA.

Want not paying a change fee? Try WN (Southwest).
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by eeeee
I'll probably check in for the united flight, too, just out of spite.
Please don't do that. While I can understand your frustration of UA's change policies and want to protest this stupidity, please consider the many passengers you may impact on doing this. Would you be happy flying to Tokyo (via San Francisco) from Newark only to misconnect at San Francisco because someone thought it was a great idea to make UA wait for a no show? Every action a pax does has unforeseen consequences that can be felt throughout the travel experience impacting people the pax may never have seen or were aware of.

-James
squeakr and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Most major airlines have some type of change fees with varying costs. $200 is standard for domestic flights across AA, DL, and UA.

Want not paying a change fee? Try WN (Southwest).
Did you read the rest of the thread? I'm not flying on the return, I'm not asking for any money back. But I'm not going to pay them for the privilege of not getting on the plane. I was trying to be considerate and open up a seat when I knew I wasn't going to fly.

Please don't do that. While I can understand your frustration of UA's change policies and want to protest this stupidity, please consider the many passengers you may impact on doing this. Would you be happy flying to Tokyo (via San Francisco) from Newark only to misconnect at San Francisco because someone thought it was a great idea to make UA wait for a no show? Every action a pax does has unforeseen consequences that can be felt throughout the travel experience impacting people the pax may never have seen or were aware of.
Fair enough. I'm just really frustrated at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.