Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
That makes sense, I only search one ways...
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I checked the DL award sale earlier this year.

The sale awards all seemed to have bad outings at the time I checked them, like well over 20 hours outbound from SFO and around 30 hours or more on the return.

So in reality, basically useless unless you planned to stay near connecting airports and spend the night.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that DL's default sort order can be wonky. I had no problem finding reasonably timed flights when selecting travel time as priority order.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 20, 2019 at 5:22 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So using my SFO-CUN example from above, DL is offering 105k RT for the same dates but for inferior times (eg 1am ETD) and connections via MSP, rather than the UA nonstops at good times. My in-laws found some similar redeye connecting flights for 53k RT from LAX which obviously is better but still higher than the old UA saver price.

Of course just one data point but I remain skeptical that DL will be a consistently good option from west coast for UA elites.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
So how is this statement true:

When will these updates take effect?
The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.

Heck I'm finding one ways that are supposed to be award tickets 18k miles when they used to be 7.5k for travel before Nov 15th. This is clearly disappointing for UA MP as I use them each summer for family and boom, disappointment.

Yet another example of why it isn't wise to hold onto miles for long. Changes like this eat up any perceived value.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by schley

Heck I'm finding one ways that are supposed to be award tickets 18k miles when they used to be 7.5k for travel before Nov 15th. This is clearly disappointing for UA MP as I use them each summer for family and boom, disappointment.

Yet another example of why it isn't wise to hold onto miles for long. Changes like this eat up any perceived value.
I assume there is no XN space, right?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are the saver and everyday award prices in the chart for your route?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Just used a big chunk of my UA miles to book AUS-IAH-SYD in business (Saver) next May. This upcoming change is another reminder that miles are to be used, not hoarded.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
What are the saver and everyday award prices in the chart for your route?
10k and 32.5k

Weird as I thought everyday was 25 for one way.......
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10k and 32.5k

Weird as I thought everyday was 25 for one way.......
It was raised to 32.5K when Everyday awards were introduced (née Standard).

So, both of the values that you're describing are lower than the rate from the chart, and therefore the statement is accurate.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
It was raised to 32.5K when Everyday awards were introduced (née Standard).

So, both of the values that you're describing are lower than the rate from the chart, and therefore the statement is accurate.
I didn't even look at the standard miles needed and the saver was 18k. How is that lower than what the chart says?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't even look at the standard miles needed and the saver was 18k. How is that lower than what the chart says?
Economy class doesn't have two columns -- it's just "Economy (Lowest)." The lowest available award is 18K, which is an Everyday award. Based on the numbers, it sounds like US domestic. If you want to give cities and dates, we can take a look, but without that information, that's how I interpret it.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
One item I have noticed post-November. The explorer/UA credit card no longer guarantees Y standard award space. Quite a few flights to the Caribbean (and some lower 48 ones too) in December are blacked out for all award space despite 9+ seats in all fare groups. Is this change official?

EDIT: I was mistaken. After clearing my cookies and logging in again I now see award availability.

Last edited by johnden; Jun 28, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnden
One item I have noticed post-November. The explorer/UA credit card no longer guarantees Y standard award space. Quite a few flights to the Caribbean (and some lower 48 ones too) in December are blacked out for all award space despite 9+ seats in all fare groups. Is this change official?
Example city and date?

I see a "beautiful" 70K one-way for EWR-SJU nonstop on Friday, Dec. 20... in economy or in first.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Example city and date?
I was mistaken. I was searching a number of Caribbean destinations (SJU, STT, GCM, AUA) from the west coast by both award and price in 2 different browsers and seeing very different results when sorting by duration. It was a temporary condition. After clearing my cookies and logging in again I now see award availability. Thank you for the response, it encouraged me to take another look .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.