Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I am finding more closer in (too close for comfort) but the stuff longer out is definitely not there like it was 1-2 years ago
BR used to predictably release on SFO-TPE 15 days out. That seems to be over.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
BR used to predictably release on SFO-TPE 15 days out. That seems to be over.

Hmm, I would never look that close - I was talking in the 30-60 day range....

I used to book BR in the 180-240 day range and find saver fares - I haven't seen them for a long time

I would NEVER EVER look at SFO to anywhere though - IAH, EWR/JFK, IAD and ORD in that order
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:24 am

I would NEVER EVER look at SFO to anywhere though - IAH, EWR/JFK, IAD and ORD in that order
Courses for horses, I guess. I book 2-3 Asia trips a year through SFO with no problem. OTOH it would take a red hot branding iron to get me through EWR.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hmm, I would never look that close - I was talking in the 30-60 day range....
BR has not reliably released space in that window - at least not from SFO or LAX - for at least a year.
Not sure how relevant that is for those of us based at SFO.

SEA is still available sporadically. But SFO (and LAX) have basically been shut down.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I'm not sure EVA is particularly relevant - not a carrier that I would fly. I'd be more concerned about space on JAL, Cathay and to a lesser extent BA. If I can reliably find space to Japan and Europe on AS partners then I will be a happy camper. I'm definitely not going to be flying east from SFO to fly to Asia though I sometimes look for a gateway to find award space to fly SFO to Europe.

UA management sees that DL and SkyMiles haven't fallen apart and therefore the same strategy will work for UA MP. But DL offers a better product (performance) which engenders loyalty and DL has the same corporate contracts that bolster the bottom line. UA does not seem to realize that its air product is inferior and that its hold on corporate travel at hubs is more tenuous than DL because there is no fortress at SFO or ORD. MP was (IMO) the critical factor binding customers to UA despite the second-rate service and product. If the value of MP miles sinks to skypesos level, UA's best customers will look at other options that offer better value and better service.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I sometimes look for a gateway to find award space to fly SFO to Europe.
It's going to be hard to beat *A for TATL out of SFO.

Unless UA MP prices them at ridiculous levels.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
Courses for horses, I guess. I book 2-3 Asia trips a year through SFO with no problem. OTOH it would take a red hot branding iron to get me through EWR.
It is more of a geography problem than a like or dislike issue

Originally Posted by Kacee
BR has not reliably released space in that window - at least not from SFO or LAX - for at least a year.

Not sure how relevant that is for those of us based at SFO.

SEA is still available sporadically. But SFO (and LAX) have basically been shut down.
I was just pointing out you and I are searching the same airline but for almost zero overlap in flights. What I see and look for never comes up in your searches and vice versa most likely.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
UA management sees that DL and SkyMiles haven't fallen apart and therefore the same strategy will work for UA MP. But DL offers a better product (performance) which engenders loyalty and DL has the same corporate contracts that bolster the bottom line. UA does not seem to realize that its air product is inferior and that its hold on corporate travel at hubs is more tenuous than DL because there is no fortress at SFO or ORD. MP was (IMO) the critical factor binding customers to UA despite the second-rate service and product. If the value of MP miles sinks to skypesos level, UA's best customers will look at other options that offer better value and better service.
We've heard this story before, if UA starts requiring PQD to qualify for Premier Status I'm gone.... people are still here. Then, if UA removes away the free stopover feature I'm outta here...people are still here. Then, if UA reduces the accrual rate on Biz fares I'm gone... you guessed it still here! Now UA is potentially devaluing their award chart, I'll be so bold and predict that people will still be here and remain loyal. When there's just 3 legacies remaining it makes it easier for them to cooperate to enhance the experience across the pond. It's only a matter of time before AA makes similar enhancements to their programme.

The reason people choose to be loyal to UA is varied and I can guarantee you none of them have to do with the award availability of their program. Most are loyal to an airline because they are a captive flyer (i.e. UA for SFO, AA for DFW, DL for ATL), the fares are cheap and the amount of actual benefits they can expect from the FFP. In my case I'm loyal to UA because of the E+ seating and lounge access provided when I fly my $300 USD Basic Economy flights across the puddle to California. I could have chosen BA or some other airline but it would be more difficult for me to achieve status let alone reap the benefits when I fly them due to how restrictive BA's program is for elites (a story for another day).

That being said, if UA were to change the actual loyalty part of the program (i.e. not influencer miles used to book free tickets) such as removing the PQD waiver for Canadians or changing the PQM accrual of K fares, then I'll reconsider my options. At the end of the day, pushing those influencers and travel hackers out of the room is a sign of progress for this Gold member who is getting sick and tired of seeing their ilk plug up the lounges when I've got a 13 hour flight on a K fare!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Taking all the recent changes together, it seems like UA is really doubling down on focusing on corporate contracts. None of the things that we consider devaluations (BE, PQD changes, PQM on P fares, Polaris 'enhancements', dynamic award pricing) would be likely to have a negative effect on contracts, so a lot of business travelers are going to be stuck on UA despite the degraded experience. All of this effects the frequent leisure traveler far more, so UA added PE to cushion the blow for international, and hey, at least you aren't in the BE underclass domestic! And if that isn't enough to keep you, well, no big loss.
The whole 'President of California' and the associated data leak seem to support my hypothesis, and I wouldn't be surprised if all these changes and devals are accompanied by some pretty aggressive marketing on the corporate side.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
The reason people choose to be loyal to UA is varied and I can guarantee you none of them have to do with the award availability of their program.
James
Sorry to cherry pick your statement

The last day I ever flew Delta was after they announced this same program

Award availability is 95% of the reason I choose an airline. All of my flights are paid for by others, so award availability IMO is directly tied to my compensation. The better the availability and usability of my award miles directly benefits ME and adds to my total job compensation.

I live in a place that has 24 DL, 22 AA and 18 UA flights a day, I am 253 miles from ATL, 200ish miles from CLT and 400ish miles from IAD - so any of the big 3 will work just fine.

I have spent the past 2 weeks looking at Oneworld, but even with the devaluation, I don't think it is better for ME, if I think for one second it is better for me. My next ticket purchase will be on AA.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
IN is improving ... it is quite noticeable. Confirmed a PS flight for August in IN today ... flight was IN3 (!) (also interestingly I0) another flight the same day was IN2.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:26 pm

Sorry to cherry pick your statement

The last day I ever flew Delta was after they announced this same program

Award availability is 95% of the reason I choose an airline. All of my flights are paid for by others, so award availability IMO is directly tied to my compensation. The better the availability and usability of my award miles directly benefits ME and adds to my total job compensation.

I live in a place that has 24 DL, 22 AA and 18 UA flights a day, I am 253 miles from ATL, 200ish miles from CLT and 400ish miles from IAD - so any of the big 3 will work just fine.

I have spent the past 2 weeks looking at Oneworld, but even with the devaluation, I don't think it is better for ME, if I think for one second it is better for me. My next ticket purchase will be on AA.
I'm surprised folks actually earn much RDM with the airlines they fly. In the past year or so I probably earned maybe 12,000 as a Gold. That being said, if you're spending enough to earn heaps of frequent flyer miles, perhaps the better strategy is to find a Milage program that offers the best milage accrual and redemption which evidently may no longer be UA for your purpose. I suspect some of the Asian carriers like OZ might be relevant in that respect. Similar thing for DL, if you don't like how you're being treated choose a different game to play - AF/KL or KE are potential options there. Same thing for AA when they inevitably enhance their redemptions to meet industry expectations, credit your miles over to BA where the only thing that matters is the distance of your reward flight apparently!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by j2simpso
That being said, if UA were to change the actual loyalty part of the program (i.e. not influencer miles used to book free tickets)
Okay, I have to ask: who are these influencers you are so concerned about?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Okay, I have to ask: who are these influencers you are so concerned about?
You know, the ones who have 40+ credit cards primarily for the sign up bonuses and have corporate cards that they "max out" each and every month so that at the end of the year they've accumulated 2,000,000 miles. They then book a ton of award travel never spending a nickel with the airline. Meanwhile us loyal elites who do 100,000+ BIS each and only earn a measly 150,000 miles are lucky if a milage upgrade we applied clears! The influencers get the caviar and us loyalist get the scraps. What a deal!

Look I'm not faulting them. Heck, I've got a couple of credit cards in my name partly for that purpose. What I do have a problem is how BISness travellers aren't getting prioritized over the plastic-necks!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Award availability is 95% of the reason I choose an airline. All of my flights are paid for by others, so award availability IMO is directly tied to my compensation.
You can put "ME" in capitals as many times as you like, but if award availability is truly 95% of why you choose an airline you'd best get prepared for a brave new world going forward.

As a famous TV shows likes to say, "Winter is coming" None of these programs are going to get better over time, just worse and further devaluations. The next shoe to fall will likely be the generous partner awards (across all three alliances)

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.