Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan
AKA "the pre-11/15 saver price," which had already been raised a couple of times in the past 5 years.
United Airlines Newspeak.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
UA exec touting the elimination of milage reward charts to analysts during earnings conference call:

Chief Commercial Officer Andrew Nocella, whom American AAdvantage reported up to when they were devaluing and moving to revenue-based earning, bragged about the carrier’s elimination of award charts and MileagePlus’ win in the FlyerTalk awards. He believes the move is good and also that they’ll win the same award next year.
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...earnings-call/
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
UA exec touting the elimination of milage reward charts to analysts during earnings conference call:
Well, would you really expect him to not think it's good? That doesn't seem very likely. Furthermore, they may very well indeed win the same award next year. Why would they not? All these airlines are headed down the exact same path, so with all else equal, who knows maybe they will win the award again.

Regards
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The better award availability -- which will likely still exist, in some form -- only applies to UA-operated flights. So, if you haven't flown UA in the last five years, you haven't been getting anything out of it.
DL used to have enhanced availability for Medallions and Amex cardholders, but actually eliminated it when they got rid of award charts and went to dynamic awards. Not saying UA will follow in DL's footsteps, but it's been known to happen before. There's a fair amount of misinformation about DL awards floating around. They are not tied precisely to revenue fare prices and do not vary infinitely. Nor have I seen any type of "targeting" of flyers. They still have discrete award "levels" like before which vary by route for domestic, while international awards use regional based levels (with some exceptions). While the award levels can change from time-to-time, it tends to be every few months, not on a daily/weekly basis. They have a bucket system for awards like revenue fares and share the same fare classes. However, the bucket inventory is maintained separately. So you will often see cases where there is inventory in one bucket for award fares, and a different bucket for revenue fares. Here's an example of Basic Economy and Main Cabin awards for DTW-BOS. These are the fare basis codes from the fare rules, along with mileage amount (which is encoded in the fare basis code), and advance purchase requirements (also in the fare rules). The third is letter in the fare basis code is the inventory bucket from which the award pulls.

ESV050, 5K, 21-day, Basic Economy
ESX065, 6.5K, 21-day, Basic Economy

YSV055, 5.5K, 21-day
YSX075, 7.5K, 21-day
YST100, 10K, 14-day
YSU120, 12K, 7-day
YSL150, 15K, 14-day
YSL165,16.5K, 7-day
YSL180, 18K, 3-day
YSK190, 19K, none
YSQ245,24.5K, none
YSH320, 32K, none
YSM390, 39K, none
YSB510, 51K, none
YSY825,82.5K, none
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire

The hubris continues.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
DL used to have enhanced availability for Medallions and Amex cardholders, but actually eliminated it when they got rid of award charts and went to dynamic awards. Not saying UA will follow in DL's footsteps, but it's been known to happen before. There's a fair amount of misinformation about DL awards floating around. They are not tied precisely to revenue fare prices and do not vary infinitely. Nor have I seen any type of "targeting" of flyers. They still have discrete award "levels" like before which vary by route for domestic, while international awards use regional based levels (with some exceptions). While the award levels can change from time-to-time, it tends to be every few months, not on a daily/weekly basis. They have a bucket system for awards like revenue fares and share the same fare classes. However, the bucket inventory is maintained separately. So you will often see cases where there is inventory in one bucket for award fares, and a different bucket for revenue fares.
UA may be doing something similar on the back-end, but they seem to have a lot more buckets. Your note about DL using different buckets for revenue and award searches is telling -- and it probably explains why Expert Mode went away for all award searches a couple of years ago (and hasn't come back).

UA could choose to link some of these fares to X inventory and others to XN, which would have the effect of keeping expanded availability for Premier members and eligible cardholders. I'm not saying they will, but they could.

Also: 82.5K one way from DTW-BOS is sad... and pretty much what we're all expecting from UA.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA may be doing something similar on the back-end, but they seem to have a lot more buckets. Your note about DL using different buckets for revenue and award searches is telling -- and it probably explains why Expert Mode went away for all award searches a couple of years ago (and hasn't come back).

UA could choose to link some of these fares to X inventory and others to XN, which would have the effect of keeping expanded availability for Premier members and eligible cardholders. I'm not saying they will, but they could.

Also: 82.5K one way from DTW-BOS is sad... and pretty much what we're all expecting from UA.
I'd suggest the fact that they are eliminating close-in booking fees likely indicates that the cheapest awards will have advance purchase requirements (just like the DL lower-level awards above).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd suggest the fact that they are eliminating close-in booking fees likely indicates that the cheapest awards will have advance purchase requirements (just like the DL lower-level awards above).
I think we're all expecting (and fearing) exactly that.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

His snout is in the trough like all of them.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
His snout is in the trough like all of them.
That idiot Hunter Keay must have been dancing around his desk throughout the call
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, would you really expect him to not think it's good? That doesn't seem very likely. Furthermore, they may very well indeed win the same award next year. Why would they not? All these airlines are headed down the exact same path, so with all else equal, who knows maybe they will win the award again.

Regards
Well they were talking to investment bank analysts so it would be interesting to see if they gave higher guidance for future quarters due to this elimination of award charts.

This would be an indicator or at least a public signal that they plan to wring out more profits from the MP program.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Well they were talking to investment bank analysts so it would be interesting to see if they gave higher guidance for future quarters due to this elimination of award charts. ...
Guidance was flat for 2019/2020 compared to last Qtr
UA Announces Q1 2019 Financial Results 16 April / Conference Call 17 April
UA Q4/Full Year 2018 Results/Conference Call 16 Jan 2019
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Hmm, so maybe makes it easier to beat and then reap upside on the stock.

So still incentives to try to squeeze out incremental revenues and profits.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
So still incentives to try to squeeze out incremental revenues and profits.
Ummm.... that's kinda the definition of a for profit business...

Regards
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:14 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Not saying UA will follow in DL's footsteps, but it's been known to happen before.
LOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.