Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about United baggage fees

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Slightly off topic. I would not be too concerned about losing a bag. As someone who averages a hundred flights a year and almost always checks bags, usually three. It’s probably been twenty years since I’ve had a bag delayed more than twenty four hours, that would be back in the paper tag days.
I agree this is not a concern worth considering; I've never ultimately lost a bag with UA. The last time I had a bag issue was with pmUA to HI, and in that instance they drove it halfway around the big island to me when it did finally arrive.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I agree this is not a concern worth considering; I've never ultimately lost a bag with UA. The last time I had a bag issue was with pmUA to HI, and in that instance they drove it halfway around the big island to me when it did finally arrive.
A year ago last Dec, I had a bag that (commenced with UA then G3) got lost, then found 48h later at a different (un-routed) airport, then flown to the correct destination and driven 3h to me. My cc company didnt blink an eye in paying out for delayed coverage!
Old May 26, 2022, 9:52 am
RNE

On my Trip Details page it says "2 free bags" but when I plug my itinerary into the baggage calculator page it says "$35 $30". I paid for the trip with my United Explorer card. My eTicket receipt shows that I did. (I'll bring a printout of it with me to the airport.) Is United going to try to charge me a bag fee or not?
Old May 26, 2022, 10:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
On my Trip Details page it says "2 free bags" but when I plug my itinerary into the baggage calculator page it says "$35 $30". I paid for the trip with my United Explorer card. My eTicket receipt shows that I did. (I'll bring a printout of it with me to the airport.) Is United going to try to charge me a bag fee or not?
Probably just an issue with the bag calculator, what did you enter as "Status or Membeship" or provide a PNR? you can cross check using the generic version and enter the Explorer card option.
The Explorer card used for purchase will provide first bag free for the cardholder and 1 companion. Is there a second individual on the PNR?
What are origin and destination of the trip?
Any waitlisted upgrade?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 26, 2022 at 10:10 am Reason: Any waitlisted upgrade?
Old May 26, 2022, 10:29 am
RNE

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Probably just an issue with the bag calculator, what did you enter as "Status or Membeship"
The Explorer card used for purchase will provide first bag free for the cardholder and 1 companion. Is there a second individual on the PNR?
What are origin and destination of the trip?
There are two of us on the reservation, neither has status. We're each going to check 1 bag. All flights are domestic in the Continental U.S. And, as I mentioned, the itinerary was paid with a United Explorer card.

In the meantime, I've been able to contact UA via text. Their bot looked up my reservation and said we have to pay $35/bag. Vexed by that, I opted to text with a human who said our first bags are free. OK, but this mixed messaging doesn't inspire confidence. So, let me ask this: if we are asked for a bag fee at the airport, what resources should we have with us to counter that request?
Old May 26, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
There are two of us on the reservation, neither has status. We're each going to check 1 bag. All flights are domestic in the Continental U.S. And, as I mentioned, the itinerary was paid with a United Explorer card. ...
Hence the 2 free bags, 1 each
Originally Posted by RNE
So, let me ask this: if we are asked for a bag fee at the airport, what resources should we have with us to counter that request?
While understand the lack of confidence, the reality is the airport systems are better and more reliable than customer service agents. If in the unlikely case you can show them the reservation listing 2 free bags If that does work, go ahead, pay and then submit a refund request, But that will be unlikely needed.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:46 pm
RNE

If in the unlikely case you can show them the reservation listing 2 free bags If that does work, go ahead, pay and then submit a refund request.
I thought United's policy was that any baggage fee dispute must be raised and decided at the time of check-in, that no appeal (e.g.. refund) after the fact was available.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
I thought United's policy was that any baggage fee dispute must be raised and decided at the time of check-in, that no appeal (e.g.. refund) after the fact was available.
nope, have never heard that and others have reported getting refunds.

However as mentioned, I doubt you will have a problem if the purchase is how you describe and the e-ticket states no fee.

The DOT has a rule that the e-ticket bag fees must be correct. So if charged, you have a valid DOT complaint if UA refuses to refund.
RNE likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:01 pm
RNE

nope, have never heard that...
That may be because you were not a frequent flyer on CO. I now recall it was a CO rule. This thread shares some details, for those interested. The rule was in flux for a while. At first, a passenger merely had to possess a Chase Continental credit card to have the bag fee waived. Later, they had to use it to purchase the ticket. Anyway, that's ancient history now.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by RNE
That may be because you were not a frequent flyer on CO. I now recall it was a CO rule. This thread shares some details, for those interested. The rule was in flux for a while. At first, a passenger merely had to possess a Chase Continental credit card to have the bag fee waived. Later, they had to use it to purchase the ticket. Anyway, that's ancient history now.
Those rules no longer apply. If you insist on continue to be concerned, that's your prerogative. Your emailed receipt is the best proof that the baggage allowance will be honored.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:19 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Those rules no longer apply. If you insist on continue to be concerned, that's your prerogative. Your emailed receipt is the best proof that the baggage allowance will be honored.
Thanks. I'm a nervous wreck. But I'll try to get a grip.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Baggage Fee Calculator can’t find confirmation No.

I have an upcoming round trip to Europe, in Premium Economy with requested upgrade on the first leg and Polaris on the return (3 pax). I’m Silver & also hold the Club card so I know I don’t need to pay for our 4 collective bags; however the reservation shows the “prepay & save” message, which I find odd. Also when I go to the baggage calculator and plug in my confirmation I get a “trip not found” message. Is this just another wonky calculator thing or perhaps a signal or something more serious? Thanks

Last edited by ARR72; Jul 10, 2022 at 5:52 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ARR72
....however the reservation shows the “prepay & save” message, which I find odd....
Everybody gets the pre-pay message - don't worry about it. Don't know about the reservation issue - could it be a O (letter) vs 0 (number) mis-type?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Everybody gets the pre-pay message - don't worry about it. Don't know about the reservation issue - could it be a O (letter) vs 0 (number) mis-type?
Coincidentally the confirmation does begin with “O”, but no that’s not it. I just tried it both ways, just for the heck of it, still nothing, thanks for the suggestion.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:18 pm

IsS this the UA PNR locator or a partner PNR locator? Many times the LH Group PNR Locator will work in place the the UA but may not in the bag calculator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.