Question about United baggage fees

Old Apr 3, 19, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Question about United baggage fees

Hey all,

I tried contacting United directly with this question but didn't get a response.
  • Next month, I'm flying RT from California to Wyoming with United.
  • For that flight, I'll have (2) 50lb bags already included with my ticket.
  • I'm traveling with lots of baggage and may need to take a 3rd or 4th bag with me on the plane.
I'm trying to price out shipping items ahead with UPS vs carrying on extra bags, but can't seem to get definitive information about what the cost will be with United to carry on a 3rd or 4th bag. Does anyone have any information?

Thanks for your help,
Dave
Old Apr 3, 19, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Have you tried this:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...d-baggage.aspx
Old Apr 3, 19, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davidupatterson View Post
Hey all,

I tried contacting United directly with this question but didn't get a response.
  • Next month, I'm flying RT from California to Wyoming with United.
  • For that flight, I'll have (2) 50lb bags already included with my ticket.
  • I'm traveling with lots of baggage and may need to take a 3rd or 4th bag with me on the plane.
I'm trying to price out shipping items ahead with UPS vs carrying on extra bags, but can't seem to get definitive information about what the cost will be with United to carry on a 3rd or 4th bag. Does anyone have any information?

Thanks for your help,
Dave
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You can find the United baggage calculator here. For passengers without status, the 3rd and 4th checked bags would be $150 each, in each direction, provided that they fit within size and weight limits.
Old Apr 3, 19, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Op would be smart to upgrade to first or book a travel bundle.
Old Apr 3, 19, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3rd bag and more are $150 each. Status, UA credit card, or First ticket provides a break on one or both of the first two bag charges ($30 for 1st, $40 for 2nd).
Old Apr 4, 19, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by davidupatterson View Post
can't seem to get definitive information about what the cost will be with United to carry on a 3rd or 4th bag.
AFAIK, there is no mechanism to carry on beyond your allotted one carry on, and one small personal item.

IME, UPS/FedEx Ground/etc are typically a better value then excess/oversize bag fees.
Old Apr 4, 19, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
AFAIK, there is no mechanism to carry on beyond your allotted one carry on, and one small personal item.
Yes, to be clear, the fees that have been quoted in this thread are for additional checked baggage.
Old Apr 4, 19, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Silver, Hilton Silver
The baggage calculator appears to also be down...

Maybe OP should start his own CA to WY shipping business?

Edited to add: It now appears to be fixed. Not sure how I triggered that bug.
jsloan and scottpenderson like this.
Old Apr 4, 19, 11:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
A basic concept might make things clear
-- UA has a check bag fee structure
-- For various reasons (elite status, credit card primary cardholder, premium cabin, ticket bag allowance, ....) certain fees, such as first or more bags may be waived / with up to 70 lbs allowed on the waived bags in some cases
-- that waiver does not affect the rest bag fee structure -- such as if the first bag is waived, the second bag price is unchanged
-- there is a general North American fee structure (Mex is slightly different) and International (first bad fee waived except for Basic Economy -- a few countries, such as Brazil, China, ... may have a second bag waiver

North American (not Mex)

1st bag - $30
2nd bag - $40

Third bag and Any Additional --$150 per bag
up to 62.0 linear inches (157 cm) and 50.0 lbs (23 kgs)

Oversized Bags - $200 extra per bag
from 63.0 to 115.0 linear inches (160 to 292 cm)
Bags which exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm) and 100 lbs. (45 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage.

Overweight Bags
from 51.0 to 70.0 lbs (24 to 32 kg) $100 extra per bag
from 71.0 to 100.0 lbs (33 to 45 kg) $200 extra per bag

Standard Internation
1st bag - $60
2nd bag - $100

Third bag and Any Additional --$200 per bag
up to 62.0 linear inches (157 cm) and 50.0 lbs (23 kgs)

Oversized Bags - $200 extra per bag
from 63.0 to 115.0 linear inches (160 to 292 cm)
Bags which exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm) and 100 lbs. (45 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage.

Overweight Bags
from 51.0 to 70.0 lbs (24 to 32 kg) $200 extra per bag
from 71.0 to 100.0 lbs (33 to 45 kg) $200 extra per bag
Fees are charged at check-in and will apply for each direction of travel (generally each full checkin, note rechecking after customs is not a "checkin")

As there are certain route exceptions, always best to check with UA Baggage calculator

Additionally, a few routes have standard / seasonal Excess Baggage Embargo

This UA's fee structure when checking in with UA. Checking in with another carrier adds additional complexity (depending if the ticket is under US DOT rules or not)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 19 at 12:01 pm Reason: DOT rule
Old Apr 4, 19, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help, everyone! This is just what I needed.
Old Jul 23, 19, 5:17 am

Programs: United
question re: checked baggage

Folks, I have a question regarding upcoming travel. I'm flying with family on LH, AMS to FRA, then connecting on UA, FRA to IAH. Tickets were booked through United. I'm 1K status. My infant daughter is flying as a lap child with me. I'm also flying with my son and wife, who are on separate itineraries, booked via miles (no status for either). Our situation is as follows: 4 checked bags, a checked stroller, a checked car seat, and a checked bike box at 86", so seven checked items to check in total. As far as I can tell, it should shake out as follows:
3 bags @ 70 lbs. to me (1K status)
2 bag @ 50 lbs for wife/son
Stroller/car seat checked for free
$200 fee for the oversized bike box
Two questions for the forum: 1) does my assessment above work? 2) will LH check-in agents understand this mess?? I've looked around at other threads and found that sometimes people have been at the mercy of the counter agent, and I understand that we're slightly excessive. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catahoulafriend View Post
1) does my assessment above work? 2) will LH check-in agents understand this mess??
No. Your 1K luggage allowance is only valid when checking in with UA. Checking in with LH, you'll get the standard allowance plus one bag.

Is this a one-way ticket, the outbound, or a return flight? Is your AMS-FRA flight a codeshare (UA flight number)?
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:54 am

Thank you, jsloan. This is a return flight, with a United ticket number, but a LH confirmation number for the AMS to FRA leg. It looks to be a stand-alone LH flight number (i.e., LH987), although given the star alliance connection, certainly there must be a UA flight number associated with this. Your suggestions on how to proceed?
Old Jul 23, 19, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catahoulafriend View Post
Thank you, jsloan. This is a return flight, with a United ticket number, but a LH confirmation number for the AMS to FRA leg. It looks to be a stand-alone LH flight number (i.e., LH987), although given the star alliance connection, certainly there must be a UA flight number associated with this. Your suggestions on how to proceed?
If it's a return flight, the flight number doesn't matter. The luggage allowance depends upon the marketing carrier (flight number) of the first segment in the itinerary. It sounds like that would be UA.

I'm guessing that you're in Economy; if you're in Business, you'll get a higher allowance. Under that assumption, your baggage allowance will depend upon whether or not your ticket is Basic Economy. Assuming it isn't, you should get two free bags at 50 lbs. Your wife and son should get one free bag each, also at 50 lbs. You didn't list this originally, but your daughter should also get one free bag at 50 lbs -- on flights where the lap child requires a ticket, that child also gets a baggage allowance. So, that's a total of five bags at 50 lbs.

UA policy will accept both a car seat and a stroller for the same child. LH policy is one or the other. I don't honestly know which one applies, but if either (a) the stroller is for your son, or (b) he's young enough that it would at least seem plausible, I'd hope that you'd be able to check both of them for free. You should at least get one, however.

So, you're looking at an oversized fee for the bike box, overweight fees for any of the bags that are over 50 lbs (try to redistribute if possible), and possibly an extra-item charge for either the car seat or stroller.
Old Jul 23, 19, 9:51 am

jsloan, it's people like you that make the flyertalk community so invaluable. Thank you, for your detailed explanation. Interestingly, I called UA 1K line and was told I would have to pay for everything: UA baggage policy doesn't apply to when another carrier operates the initial check-in (or so I was told). I then called Lufthansa to ask how much I should expect to pay and, interestingly, they cited their "most significant carrier" policy: as I booked through United, and they are operating the trans-Atlantic leg, the LH representative insisted that UA's baggage policy holds (i.e., 3 bags @ 32 kg for me). So in the case of my conversation with the UA representative, either: 1) they punted and played overly conservative, and/or 2) didn't know what they were talking about. Regardless, as per your assessment above and the LH rep's, it seems as though I'll simply be paying for the extra "sport bag" (bicycle box). Thanks, again, for your feedback.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: