Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Accuses Rogue Flight Attendants of Fraud

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Accuses Rogue Flight Attendants of Fraud

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
Why are all the "jaded, senior" crew bidding on these destinations? I'm guessing it's less work, more money, or some combination. Maybe the fix is to pay someone their salary regardless of destinations, flight times, etc.
Efficiency ... a SYD trip carries 30 hours of pay, and is two boardings and all done in less than three days. At the complete other end of the scale, EWR-BOS and SFO-LAX would need 30 sectors to make the same flight pay, and it would involve 30 boardings (none of which are paid) / more days to complete. FAs also love Hawai’i “turns” from the West Coast, where they fly out and back for a 12 hour pay day. A friend of mine does those for 7 total days per month to hit her 84 hours and takes the rest of the month off.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:58 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Randomly assigning crews to routes will lead to all kinds of unhappy crews. Hence a bidding process. Some FAs can try to get flights where they go home at night. Others get flights where they work the fewest days on the month but travel further. What other 'currency' could be used other than seniority? There are thousands of basically interchangeable FAs.
How about actual performance? I realize sometimes it's difficult to quantify, but if a FA gets mostly praises from pax he/she serves, shouldn't that FA deserve the opportunity to pick out routes as a reward??

LAX
east_west likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LAX
How about actual performance? I realize sometimes it's difficult to quantify, but if a FA gets mostly praises from pax he/she serves, shouldn't that FA deserve the opportunity to pick out routes as a reward??

LAX
Not sure that would provide enough differentiation between all of the FAs to be used as an effective currency. If the US airlines instituted a true purser position, who acted like a real supervisor who could rate FAs, then that may work. But I don't think management wants to pay for the position any more than the union wants it.
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Honestly they should either prevent swaps (what you bid is what you fly), or they should have a company sanctioned barter system. Anything else is inviting fraud.

I don’t see a huge problem with a company supported barter system; more seniority means you have a chance to make a little extra money from your fellow FAs. Probably reasonable if you’ve been working 10+ or 20+ years.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:37 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Randomly assigning crews to routes will lead to all kinds of unhappy crews. Hence a bidding process. Some FAs can try to get flights where they go home at night. Others get flights where they work the fewest days on the month but travel further. What other 'currency' could be used other than seniority? There are thousands of basically interchangeable FAs.
There must be an employee performance rating system, why not allow the highest performing FA’s the first pick versus seniority. This would hopefully then inspire competition to improve performance. It’s a carrot not a stick. I don’t share the opinion that all FA’s are interchangeable, it’s a spectrum of performance, just like in any profession.
east_west likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh

There must be an employee performance rating system, why not allow the highest performing FA’s the first pick versus seniority. This would hopefully then inspire competition to improve performance. It’s a carrot not a stick. I don’t share the opinion that all FA’s are interchangeable, it’s a spectrum of performance, just like in any profession.
Yes, meritocracy and inspire to improve, very noble. With entrenched union and such a public company, if you do a performance hierarchy system, I'd bet my bollock that many not so best performing would be senior union members, minorities, gays (not because of some inherent flaw of their own, but because typical people would rate young blond bimbo way higher regardless of their performance - see research about tipping). From legal and social fabric point of view it's easier to abuse junior members.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: UA
Lufthansa is unionized and doesn't nearly have the same problems as America's legacy carriers.
cesco.g, Miggles and east_west like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2019 at 12:43 pm Reason: Omni content removed
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: UA MM
I should be noted the charge is some FA's were using their seniority to get highly desired routes for the sole purpose of selling access to those routes to less senior FAs. They never had any intention of flying them. That really is fraud, IMHO.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
If true, the behavior of these FAs is abhorrent.

However, these sorts of threads lend themselves to senior-FA-bashing. I haven't always been friendly in my postings about UA FAs, but I'd like to point out that there are some tremendous senior FAs out there, and I would much rather have them on one of my flights than inexperienced young ones.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:36 am

No one is saying randomly assign FAs to routes they don't want. Here are two ideas that would be better than the seniority system:

(1) Have FAs bid on routes (like now) but assign them in random order, e.g. shuffle the seniority list every month.

(2) Increase pay dynamically on the "crappy routes" until FAs bid on them organically.

I can think of some other ideas too.

One of the biggest problems with the seniority system is FAs feel trapped and unable to switch jobs e.g. to a competitor. They think UA mgmt is screwing them but they can't switch to DL, AA, etc. because they would start again on reserve status / crappy routes. They have invested many years in climbing the seniority ladder and it makes more sense to wait N years till retirement than to switch to another job they might be happier at. People who feel trapped in their jobs don't provide good service.

Likewise, management is only negotiating with the union rather than competing for labor in the traditional sense with the other airlines, for example by offering better pay or benefits. It's like all the airlines signed an agreement to make it as hard as possible for workers to switch employers. That's bad for workers and bad for customers.
cesco.g, seenitall, am1108 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I guess I'm in the minority here because I don't see a problem with seniority having its perks just as many people think GS or 1K status should have some perks. The airlines and union might think about making that seniority be based on time in the career rather than at the company in order to give FAs more flexibility on changing companies but if I was in a senior position at the company, I'd WANT the seniority based on time in the company so that I had an incentive for the best to stay with me rather than benefiting a competitor.

I noted immediately that the union was also behind charging the employees. That's good because the people this hurt most were fellow FAs. IMO, the best solution is the one they're taking: charge the suspects with fraud and then prove it. It's a much harder case but it means they don't have to hurt innocent senior FAs.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I guess I'm in the minority here because I don't see a problem with seniority having its perks just as many people think GS or 1K status should have some perks. The airlines and union might think about making that seniority be based on time in the career rather than at the company in order to give FAs more flexibility on changing companies but if I was in a senior position at the company, I'd WANT the seniority based on time in the company so that I had an incentive for the best to stay with me rather than benefiting a competitor.

I noted immediately that the union was also behind charging the employees. That's good because the people this hurt most were fellow FAs. IMO, the best solution is the one they're taking: charge the suspects with fraud and then prove it. It's a much harder case but it means they don't have to hurt innocent senior FAs.
You’re not the only one that feels that way. The seniority system works, it’s industry-centric and not going away.

This is not as rampant an issue as FT would assume it is. Get the bad apples out and move on.
Miggles, Catbert10 and tuolumne like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh

There must be an employee performance rating system,
For FAs, I don't take this as a given on US airlines. They don't have true supervisors on the flights, so how would the crews get rated?
featheroleather likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by clubord
This is not as rampant an issue as FT would assume it is. Get the bad apples out and move on.
I was basing my comments on conversations I've had with FAs and other front-line workers. Some of them feel mistreated by their employer and trapped by the seniority system since it'd take 15 years to rebuild their seniority at another airline.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
Some of them feel mistreated by their employer and trapped by the seniority system since it'd take 15 years to rebuild their seniority at another airline.
15 years is still considered a junior FA at SFO - try 25 years - that is about the threshold to get international and Hawaii flying as a SFO based FA and even then it is not guaranteed.
tuolumne likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.