Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Gold
Currently looking to be 7,053 PQM short of Gold by the end of the year, though with enough PQDs for Plat. But $1,120 seems like a poor investment for guaranteed E+ seats, when I usually snag them at checkin anyway.

Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
it's back again: now showing in mystatus.united.com (at least in the version that UA is showing me...)

and the offers each month just keeps getting worse for me:

oboy.

David
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
it's back again: now showing in mystatus.united.com (at least in the version that UA is showing me...)
I got an email this week offering to sell PQM/PQS, with a twist: apparently they’re running a promotion that grants PQDs for the purchase.

I got values ranging from $210 for 1 PQS/1K PQM to $2730 for 15 PQS/15K PQM.

I’ll pass, but I’ll at least give them credit for realizing that these purchases should really accrue PQD.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
...I got an email this week offering to sell PQM/PQS, with a twist: apparently they’re running a promotion that grants PQDs for the purchase. ...
This started with the promo last March (2019), it is an interesting precedent and since it is still in effect 3 months later suggestions it may be improving responses.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I also got this again; the top amount for me over the 3 months has gone from $2090 to $1990 to $2730.

Amusingly, just clicking through and logging in to check out the numbers invariably results in an email a few hours later "we noticed you didn’t complete your purchase of Premier qualifying miles (PQM) and Premier qualifying segments (PQS). Don't forget, this offer ends June 25, 2019, and you'll earn Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) on whatever you spend."

"You didn't complete your purchase" -- no. No, I didn't
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:05 am

Assuming you just need PQM, getting then via Premier Accelerator seems much better value than this offer.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan

I got an email this week offering to sell PQM/PQS, with a twist: apparently they’re running a promotion that grants PQDs for the purchase.
I received this email a couple of days ago, 1000 PQMs $260 through 15K PQMs for $3380. I must be buying too many expensive tickets.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: AP SE, Bonvoy Plat, HH Gold, EC Executive, Hertz Pres Circle, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Assuming you just need PQM, getting then via Premier Accelerator seems much better value than this offer.
I find that is generally the case (although obviously YMMV). My guess is that these emails are easy to push out and drive some more incremental revenue, so UA figures it's worth the minimum effort.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: MileagePlus
I’m unclear on this so I apologize: I’m platinum and need 10k pqm to get 1k. If I buy the pqm do I get the status or do they say it doesn’t count to get to 1k?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, mystatus.united.com said, happy 27th anniversary in MP and offered yet another upper for DIY cash for UA:

Let's see if UA will actually earn any money from me this way - NOT!

David
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kac2138
I’m unclear on this so I apologize: I’m platinum and need 10k pqm to get 1k. If I buy the pqm do I get the status or do they say it doesn’t count to get to 1k?
Purchased PQM via this promotion or United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019] does count toward. If you are subject to PQDs, then 1K also requires $15K.

The Premier Accelerator can be cheaper as it does not include PQD credit.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kac2138
With 5.5 months left in the year I'd find a way to fly the PQM rather than buy. I'm of the belief that buying PQM should be an end-of-year last resort to save/make status when all other opportunities to fly it have been exhausted. 10k is easy to fly. A mileage run to Europe would likely do it, a TPAC run definitely would. All that is assuming you'll meet the PQD...should you be subject to it.
jsloan and onthesam like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Well, mystatus.united.com said, happy 27th anniversary in MP and offered yet another upper for DIY cash for UA:

Let's see if UA will actually earn any money from me this way - NOT!

David
Those are the same prices I got. Hmmm, we must be spending the same amount on tickets! Too much!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll gladly sell 14k PQM back to UA for $2660.
iluv2fly, SS255, onthesam and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.