Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Employees fired for selling NRSA passes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Employees fired for selling NRSA passes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
NRSA can stand by for any cabin. If there is a co-pay, it's higher for premium cabins. If you list for a higher cabin you generally list for all lower cabins too (which is why you see them on the flight standby list as well as the F standby / upgrade list, same place as you see displaced F pax who are standing by for the flight).
Perhaps UA could put an indicator on the upgrade/standby list in the app and on the screen at the gate at airports indicating which passengers are NRSA (possibly for those passengers who aren't relatives of the UA employee). Let elites and those on FT police the situation

-James
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's all about priorities. Fire the ones who abuse benefits, but ignore or promote the ones who abuse customers.
MSPeconomist and SJWarrior like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
There is actually minimal, if any fraud with this because of how it is setup. You get one person you can designate for these privileges; UA doesn't care the relationship. You can change it after I believe a year (maybe 3 months), but there is a not insignificant waiting period to change this designation. Anyone else needs to use one of your buddy passes.
It's one person every calendar year which you can only change in December. Spouses (and I think domestic partners) get slightly better perks in terms of priority list and flying on other airlines than if you nominated a friend. Parents and kids under 26 also qualify.

Everyone else is a buddy pass. They're not that cheap. I can literally count the number I've used on my two hands in my four years.

Seems like at least some of the people in question were added as a +1 or parent using falsified documentation. Good that they're gone than ruin the perks for those of us that don't abuse it!

***only speaking for myself, not on behalf of the company***
jsloan and notquiteaff like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I don't believe those are credit card numbers but gift card's which are pre-loaded with set amounts. Since they're processed through Visa or Mastercard, they look like debit card numbers.
pretty sure these are virtual cards. I think I recall seeing threads on ft about people trying to cash them in through a square account and it failed.

I looked at at a similar program for my company with virtual cards. Although it wasn’t a good fit for what we wanted to use them for, I was super impressed with some of the technology. Upon issuance you can control things like the vendor name, expiry date, merchant type etc... and I think I recall seeing a restriction on zip/postal code to control where they can be cashed.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A good start. Now, if they can fire them for providing bad service that would be excellent!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by david_oz
pretty sure these are virtual cards. I think I recall seeing threads on ft about people trying to cash them in through a square account and it failed.

I looked at at a similar program for my company with virtual cards. Although it wasn’t a good fit for what we wanted to use them for, I was super impressed with some of the technology. Upon issuance you can control things like the vendor name, expiry date, merchant type etc... and I think I recall seeing a restriction on zip/postal code to control where they can be cashed.
Every indication I've seen is that they are -- every voucher has a unique CC#, maximum spend, has a very short deadline by which the auth must be taken (11:59pm the following day IIRC) and it seems if they aren't also locked by MCC I'd expect geographically (merchant city) locked (e.g. during a forced overnight in ORD the hotel mentioned that the unused airport meal vouchers I had could be used at the restaurant or room service).

If my bank makes it trivial for me (on my personal CC account) to generate a virtual card with a set max spend and validity dates I imagine that to a customer of United's size and velocity it's even easier.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
There is actually minimal, if any fraud with this because of how it is setup. You get one person you can designate for these privileges; UA doesn't care the relationship. You can change it after I believe a year (maybe 3 months), but there is a not insignificant waiting period to change this designation. Anyone else needs to use one of your buddy passes.
True, but the article noted that exactly such fraud was going on:

United discovered some employees gave fake documentation to in order to name travelers as their stepparents or domestic partners.

"Some of the employees who gave up their passes received payment, while others were deceived into giving away their pass travel privileges based on the pretext that the passes were for a good friend or a relative (although even that would be against the rules)," the airline stated in the article.
Since those pax can travel unaccompanied, in premium cabins, with higher boarding priority than buddy passes, and requires an overt step to carry out (falsified documentation), IMO it's a more significant fraud.
tuolumne, blueman2 and JimInOhio like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mr8
Not sure if it's 'cheating' but I often see FAs giving premium class food and drinks to non-revs in Y or other goodies like amenity kits/blankets.
How do you know they are non-revs? I've asked for a blanket in the past and got a business-class one. I consider it more a nice gesture than breaking the rules. It's not like the FA ripped it off a sleeping passenger.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I'd expect geographically (merchant city) locked
They are not. Many is the time I have used them in a connecting city.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:13 am

Not surprised

I have a couple of friends who work for different airlines and they all sell passes to friends and friends of friends...

People just know that airline employees have those passes and proactively make offers. I tried to snag a pass couple of times and they were all gone when I asked.

I would be surprised United was not aware of wide spread abuse. Maybe that's why they made it big news with firing and hope that there will be less abuse.

I think the passes should be restricted for travel on the same flights with sponsor.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by AntonS
I would be surprised United was not aware of wide spread abuse.
I think United cares a little bit about people selling buddy passes.

I think United cares a lot about people forging documents to add additional unlimited passriders as family who are not family.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mr8
Not sure if it's 'cheating' but I often see FAs giving premium class food and drinks to non-revs in Y or other goodies like amenity kits/blankets.
It is cheating and inappropriate and anyone caught doing it should be suspended.

Furthermore, anyone caught rigging the upgrade list to clear nonrev coworkers, friends, family or other-airline non-revs should be terminated immediately. Clearing of the upgrade list is not difficult to police and audit.

I don't have a problem with UA firing employees who sell passes, but anyone dumb enough to pay for what they know is a standby pass with an expectation that it's a confirmed space ticket, first class or not, is an idiot. If the employee is somehow modifying the document they are giving buyers or purposely misrepresenting it it to buyers, they should be charged with criminal fraud.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:22 pm

I wonder if the fired employees also lost the employer's contribution to the retirement plan? In other words, the employees would get to keep their own contributions, but would forfeit (or not vest) the employer's contributions?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
I wonder if the fired employees also lost the employer's contribution to the retirement plan? In other words, the employees would get to keep their own contributions, but would forfeit (or not vest) the employer's contributions?
No.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is making me LOL about how much punishment FTers want to see meted out to employees who do something to reduce FTers' chances of getting upgraded.

No sin could be worse! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!! (Almost) LITERALLY!!!

This is definitely not to say that employees who violate pass travel privileges should not be held accountable consistent with UA policy. They definitely should be (and the accountability is in fact quite severe), because bad apples spoil what is a great benefit for those employees who follow the rules, and deprive revenue customers of an advertised benefit.

But really, take away earned pension benefits because someone couldn't get upgraded on the cheap? Rolleyes, and see, e.g., ERISA.
seenitall and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by Bear96; Mar 9, 2019 at 11:02 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
All this resonated with a post from many months ago:

Buddy Pass - I nearly fainted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.