Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I am more upset that only few hours to departure, today's SFO-AKL has no I/IN available with 16 open seats unbooked.

It's like UA IM believes they can sell many revenue J tickets in few hours?

By not opening up I/IN this late, UA is not only devaluing our benefits significantly, but also leaving the miles on the table.

But, if you watch carefully, 16 UA employees are on stand-by list.

Guess their friends at IM are blocking PN/PZ/IN/I space so UA employees can fly free in business class to AKL..

Would you be suspicious? I am.

Last edited by kb1992; Mar 8, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kb1992
I am more upset that only few hours to departure, today's SFO-AKL has no I/IN available with 16 open seats unbooked.

By not opening up I/IN this late, UA is not only devaluing our benefits significantly, but also leaving the miles on the table.

Guess their friends at IM are blocking PN/PZ/IN/I space so UA employees can fly free in business class to AKL..
PN/PZ is completely irrelevant. Anyone on the upgrade list will be cleared before the NRAS's. The fact PN/PZ are zero is a 'good' thing as it stops people leapfrogging others. Anyone waitlisted for I/IN should also clear even if the fare buckets don't have availability. That is all managed by the day-of-flight systems that don't use fare buckets as such.

IN/I is a different story. UA used to routinely open those fare classes ~3 hours before departure just like they have done for all of the revenue buckets, but they stopped this years ago. The rumor was that it was done to stop people who were on revenue business fares from canceling their flights and re-booking as an award, but I'm not sure that anyone really knows for sure.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G

Would you be suspicious? I am.
Not sure I understand your situation. I see no names on the UG list in the first 16 that are not also on the Standby list. So are you a nonrev? Or have you been placed on the list under the 16 that are also standbys? If the latter, that is your issue, not the nonclearing. But note there are still nearly 4 hours before departure, so a lot can change.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
PN/PZ is completely irrelevant. Anyone on the upgrade list will be cleared before the NRAS's. The fact PN/PZ are zero is a 'good' thing as it stops people leapfrogging others. Anyone waitlisted for I/IN should also clear even if the fare buckets don't have availability. That is all managed by the day-of-flight systems that don't use fare buckets as such.
I beg to differ. PN/PZ is totally relevant. When UA refuses to release PN/PZ before departure, anyone including GS/1K who buys a ticket within 24 hours can't even waitlist for UG.

The fact PN/PZ are zero is absolutely not "good" thing as it denies people who buy last minute tickets the opportunity to upgrade when there are plenty of seat available.

Originally Posted by docbert
IN/I is a different story. UA used to routinely open those fare classes ~3 hours before departure just like they have done for all of the revenue buckets, but they stopped this years ago. The rumor was that it was done to stop people who were on revenue business fares from canceling their flights and re-booking as an award, but I'm not sure that anyone really knows for sure.
If this becomes common when (1) plenty of J seats open before departure (2) no I/IN space is released, then we are royally screwed with our MP benefits.

UA might as well eliminate saver business class awards.

Originally Posted by seenitall
Not sure I understand your situation. I see no names on the UG list in the first 16 that are not also on the Standby list. So are you a nonrev? Or have you been placed on the list under the 16 that are also standbys? If the latter, that is your issue, not the nonclearing. But note there are still nearly 4 hours before departure, so a lot can change.
I don't have a dog in this flight.

These on UG list are also on flight standby list. Usually this means they are UA employees.

My bet is most of these employees will enjoy free business class flight to AKL tonight.

We will never know how many Mileage Plus members could not redeem miles for this flight because saver award is not available.

Last edited by kb1992; Mar 3, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by seenitall
So the way I'm reading it is everyone on the upgrade list is non-rev(as they are also on standby list), no 1K on GPU's on the waitlist, but I assume a few haven't checked in yet. It's definitely poor form they can't open I/IN. (There are no I/IN waitlisted checked in, these people wouldn't be on standby list)
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Let's face it UA has significantly devalued the MP program over the last few year. If you were flying UA primarily because of the MP benefits (which BTW used to be great), it's probably time to consider other options. Bummer but that's the reality.
RichardInSF, Boraxo and innerspace like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

If someone was waitlisted I/IN?? If so they would clear before any NRSA.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Isn't this a well known issue. If you don't clear until 24hrs, you won't clear until the gate?

That's not true. I cleared both domestic and international segments today at about T-23 and T-21 hours. That's happened a few times.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:53 pm

I think being a 1K in TPA is like being a GS in a hub. Maybe better sometimes.

Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If someone was waitlisted I/IN?? If so they would clear before any NRSA.
True, but can you redeem SFO-AKL saver Y award and waitlist for I/IN? No?

Besides, by not releasing PZ/PN/IN/I, United is denying anyone who buys last minute tickets either trying to use instruments to upgrade, or to redeem saver J awards.

This is significant devaluation for these passengers. But it's UA employee friendly, there is no way to deny that.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Looks like upgrades ain't in the cards, unless your name is Ain,T.

ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Looks like upgrades ain't in the cards, unless your name is Ain,T.
<<---- But it is.

That's my point about being 1K in a non-hub.
I'm 1K on a W fare ticket that was purchased the night before maybe 30 hours before the flight. Cleared about T-22.
So the entire waitlist must be 0 GS and less than 1K with W fare tickets purchased about 30 hours before the flight.
And they didn't even hold one F seat back--this flight is not until 10AM tomorrow.
narvik and Kannai like this.

Last edited by TomA; Mar 3, 2019 at 11:03 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
True, but can you redeem SFO-AKL saver Y award and waitlist for I/IN? No? ..
Yes, you can certainly do that and if it when to the gate to clear, you would clear before NRSA.
(I suspect you might be asking if you can waitlist for I/IN inside T-24 versus doing it before T-24 -- and I don't know the answer for that but suspect no.)

Besides, by not releasing PZ/PN/IN/I, United is denying anyone who buys last minute tickets either trying to use instruments to upgrade, or to redeem saver J awards. ...
Purchasing SFO-AKL inside of T-24 is likely a very rare event, so the population of those so affected is quite small. Some may be in that population but it is likely not large enough for that to be top of mind in UA's planning.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
True, but can you redeem SFO-AKL saver Y award and waitlist for I/IN? No?
Yes. Absolutely.

It can then clear in advance if I/IN becomes available, or at the gate above upgraders if I'm not mistaken, and definitely above Non-revs.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

This is unfortunately the norm these days. I suspect UA's rationale is they don't want business travelers redeeming for saver awards at the last minute - they want to force the purchase of a full fare ticket.

I also agree it seriously devalues the MP program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.