Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
So, was the rant premature?
Not really. Where I'd criticize the OP is not on the timing of his rant, but the failure to recognize that the UA that used to value loyalty - to a degree - no longer exists. They value money - period. The good old days where they didn't try to aggresively sell inventory in the front cabins is gone. Finished. I don't like the change, but I've learned to live with it, and have adjusted my strategies and decisions accordingly.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If one books away from loyalty programs and sticks with other factors on a ticket-by-ticket basis, it is possible to generate sufficient savings to help to simply pay for a premium cabin ticket on whatever carrier it is that makes the most sense. The entire goal of a FFP, whether on UA or other carriers, is to keep you on a tether so that you pay more or accept lousier scheduling and routing.
milypan likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120
The good old days where they didn't try to aggresively sell inventory in the front cabins is gone.
Well they've gotten much smarter about pricing. In the "good old days" the cost of the front cabin was so prohibitively expensive, there were considerably more unsold seats to make available for upgrade. Now they're actually pricing front cabin to sell.

Difficulty scoring long-haul upgrades is not entirely new though. I recall doing some really funky routings back in the 90s so I could upgrade to Europe out of SFO, including routing through BOS when UA flew BOS-LHR. And that was when there was an H fare minimum (IIRC) to upgrade using miles.
CIT85, Often1 and MrGood like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Another good question raised by OP is why passengers could not receive a day-of-departure cash upgrade offer when GPU is applied. I think many would be happy to pay cash instead if GPU is unlikely to clear at T-24.
MrGood likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:41 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bdw1120
Another good question raised by OP is why passengers could not receive a day-of-departure cash upgrade offer when GPU is applied. I think many would be happy to pay cash instead if GPU is unlikely to clear at T-24.
You can get the offers; sometimes through a web site glitch, but also through calling in (a hassle, yes!). I took advantage on the IAD-SFO segment on an itin earlier this year when the web site actually offered to upgrade that segment (it also offered to upgrade the already-upgraded SFO-SIN segment, which given it was on a 2-class plane was definitely a bug).
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
Not really. Where I'd criticize the OP is not on the timing of his rant, but the failure to recognize that the UA that used to value loyalty - to a degree - no longer exists. They value money - period. The good old days where they didn't try to aggresively sell inventory in the front cabins is gone. Finished. I don't like the change, but I've learned to live with it, and have adjusted my strategies and decisions accordingly.
Eh. Isn't upgrading the OP's son on a GPU showing that 1K loyalty is indeed valued?

The upgrade could have not cleared....I know the timing sucks and sure, I'd argue that they value 1K less, but saying 'they no longer value loyalty' when they upgraded his son (as a silver) on a GPU is kinda contradictory, no?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bdw1120
In my experience I do receive TODs offers when I have a GPU applied that has not cleared prior to check-in. My problem is that as a 1K with a GPU applied I don't take the TOD. I lost the bet only once last year for a PVG-ORD flight with 8 Polaris Business still for sale. On the same flight, my wife who was Platinum at the time and had one of my GPUs applied decided that she did not want to risk it so she paid the TOD. It was not a bad use of money as 4 hours after she paid the TOD, the GPU upgraded her to First Class.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
When I’m playing the upgrade lottery (or playing it on behalf of my fiancé) I’m usually sweating it too, and complaining about all the other people who are randomly filling the J cabin. So I’ll cut the OP some slack. It can be stressful especially when you think it’s a slam dunk and somehow (cough: $800 TOD upgrades) you’re moving down and down the list. I know... #firstworldproblems

Personally I modified my behavior (with some rare exceptions) by only paying for W when there is PZ available, and I’m ok with the fact that I have to be much more flexible in timing and routing to make it work.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?"

Seems like this is premature complaint. If you don't clear by takeoff, then it's appropriate. Until then, the complaint should be "Why doesn't UA run upgrades with 20 seats open 24 hours before departure?"
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mobarak
I am 1K, flying paid business class EWR-SFO-AKL today, while my son (silver) is on the upgrade waitlist for the same flights. I saw that there were 20+ open seats on SFO-AKL just 24 hours before departure (and a phone agent told me that too) but the waitlist still isn't clearing.

And now slowly the number of open business class seats is whittling down each hour, starting 12 hours before departure. It must be that united is selling those seats making last minute cheaper offers to economy passengers as they check in. Implications of united employing this strategy :

1. The value of getting 1K status is being whittled down. GPUs are not that useful if they don't clear even when there are 20+ open seats. Are there other airlines /alliances that are better in this dimension? Or is it now better to just chase the cheapest fares, and not worry about "loyalty", because the perks of loyalty are disappearing as united employs such last minute ticket selling strategy?

2. We have not received any last minute $ offer to upgrade, presumably because I already put in that GPU for my son months ago. United's policy of last minute offers to only some passengers seems to be creating a strange situation where "loyal passengers" (the ones with GPUs) become least able to upgrade.

[complicating the situation for us is that united 's system incorrectly thinks that my son is a child traveling alone so he can't check in until we get to airport to figure out where he stands on the waitlist.]
Is your son a 1K?

If not, then his status is what matters, even though you applied your GPU to his flight - he is behind every GS/1K/Plat/Gold/Silver who had GPU's applied as well by their colleagues/friends/family - I routinely apply my GPU to colleagues who are only gold or plat, I am sure others do the same.

The upgrade list changed quite a while ago to only show upgrades at T-24 and newer, I have had several upgrades clear at T-25-30 lately, I can only make the assumption to not have them show on the upgrade list. I mean it is possible they ran the list at 10am, but doubtful

As far as applying GPU at T-24 - if PZ >0, then you can apply a GPU at T-24 and get immediately upgraded, but you can't wait list at T-24
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
"Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?"

Seems like this is premature complaint. If you don't clear by takeoff, then it's appropriate. Until then, the complaint should be "Why doesn't UA run upgrades with 20 seats open 24 hours before departure?"
The OP raises many interesting points re upgrades. The UA upgrade game can be stressful. The bottom line though is that he managed to upgrade his son, who is silver, with one of his GPUs. And it cleared several hours in advance, which means they can both visit the SFO Polaris lounge. If it only cleared at the gate, this would not be possible. So 1K status does have value.
kb1992, RobOnLI, trooper and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Often1
If one books away from loyalty programs and sticks with other factors on a ticket-by-ticket basis, it is possible to generate sufficient savings to help to simply pay for a premium cabin ticket on whatever carrier it is that makes the most sense. The entire goal of a FFP, whether on UA or other carriers, is to keep you on a tether so that you pay more or accept lousier scheduling and routing.
SFO-AKL RT is still typically $8K in J, IMO you would struggle to generate sufficient savings to make up the difference of losing 6 GPU's.
restlessinRNO, narvik and findark like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
SFO-AKL RT is still typically $8K in J, IMO you would struggle to generate sufficient savings to make up the difference of losing 6 GPU's.
Yes, I'm in the same boat.
The savings from the GPUs I use is quite staggering, despite the added "W" min fare increase. Luckily I can always use all of them, 10+ GPU/year works out to substantial savings.
Let's hope they don't downgrade usability or accumulation requirements too much.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
The OP raises many interesting points re upgrades. The UA upgrade game can be stressful. The bottom line though is that he managed to upgrade his son, who is silver, with one of his GPUs. And it cleared several hours in advance, which means they can both visit the SFO Polaris lounge. If it only cleared at the gate, this would not be possible. So 1K status does have value.
If he got pulled out of his coach seat after boarding and plopped down in business 30 seconds before the door closed, I would still argue the GPU certainly has value, even if he missed out on lounge 🙂
restlessinRNO and trooper like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:20 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Incompetent as UA is in implementing, or communicating, some coherent policy and expectations for customers, just imagine how difficult it is to balance all the different considerations?

All the while you all above are talking about clearing upgrades, here I am, thinking:

"Well, if they're going to open up space, how about letting those waiting for award tickets get a crack at using the miles they've actually accumulated first?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.