Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
RPU cleared

so i was the only UG to clear at the gate. Funny, the seat won't recline or footrest raise.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
RPU cleared

so i was the only UG to clear at the gate. Funny, the seat won't recline or footrest raise.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
The required fares are very steep though, right?
In Premium Economy yes, in coach medium, and in Biz they cover the same as all upgrades.

Having at least Q class isn't expensive ex certain markets. Ex Singapore it's undoable but from Europe, you find decent fares.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by weero
In Premium Economy yes, in coach medium, and in Biz they cover the same as all upgrades.

Having at least Q class isn't expensive ex certain markets. Ex Singapore it's undoable but from Europe, you find decent fares.
E class isn't all that expensive; I reliably see it for under $2,500 r/t from SFO to Europe, even close-in. It's my new way to fly TATL if reasonable J isn't available.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by findark
E class isn't all that expensive; I reliably see it for under $2,500 r/t from SFO to Europe, even close-in. It's my new way to fly TATL if reasonable J isn't available.
I love PE but 2.5K is steep price outside of peak season. I regularly find Biz fares <2K on smaller carriers.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by weero
I love PE but 2.5K is steep price outside of peak season. I regularly find Biz fares <2K on smaller carriers.
Within 21 days, TATL J from the West Coast for $2k? Regularly? For my business travel cases I'm usually looking at $7-8k.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just got upgraded at T48 for SFO-KOA using instrument, will wonders never cease!! I kind of figured it would happen as there were at least 8 F seats showing up until yesterday. Interestingly the return flight already shows F as soldout. This is my third instrument to clear in 13 months.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just confirmed at booking LAX-HNL 6 days out on the 772. R8 at booking.

I'm in a state of shock.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
GPU - waitlist only

So, I've been United 1K for a few years already, needless to say I have a bunch of GPUs, but...so far I have not been successful in finding a single fare where I could actually use them. The most it shows is a waitlist...

Is it my bad luck? What am I doing wrong? Has anybody actually used GPUs?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Many threads on this. Essentially upgradeable space is rare but possible to find. You need to find availability in the R fare class and that will move you straight into Business. Failing that you are added to the waitlist and that will clear either if R becomes available in the weeks before the flight or, increasingly likely, at the gate if there's any spare availability.

Availability does vary by route. I have found that, flying between SFO and LHR and being prepared to route via LAX or FRA, I have normally managed to get upgraded and most of those times at booking - but not always.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
Thanks. I'm just starting to get an impression that there is no upgrade space at all on the route of the most interest to me: TLV<->SFO or TLV<->EWR. Just out of curiosity I looked like 6 months ahead and all I could see was waitlist...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:54 am

TLV-EWR and TLV-SFO are among the best markets for United. Rarely you can spot R space available, however, sometimes, you can find R in the TLV-EWR and TLV-SFO during holidays (e.g. I can see now Tuesday, October 10th). Your chance of clearing into R space is flying during mid-week (Tuesday-Wednesday), booking UA85 and not UA91 (which is mostly soldout) and the best way is to find how many P fare buckets are available. For example, if you spot P6-P9 two weeks before the flight, most likely your upgrade will be cleared. Also, booking Q,U instead of W will increase your chance.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Gld; DL Plat; UA Gld;Bonvoy Titanium4Life; Hyatt Silver;
Been lurking here for a while, trying to get thru 1300+ posts. I've got one (sponsored) GPU to use in January, can anyone suggest a route where I'd have a reasonable shot as a Gold?? I'm trying to jump start my quest for Platinum with a January mileage run, and from what I'm reading, I'm not encouraged that you 1Ks are unable to use GPUs. I can get almost anywhere, but would prefer to use this single GPU on the trip home (East Coast - BOS, EWR, IAD) assuming I've been in E+ on my outbound and ready to lie flat coming home! Thanks for the help. I really don't want to waste a GPU on EWR-BOS!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FNZFUND
I can get almost anywhere, but would prefer to use this single GPU on the trip home (East Coast - BOS, EWR, IAD) assuming I've been in E+ on my outbound and ready to lie flat coming home! Thanks for the help. I really don't want to waste a GPU on EWR-BOS!
January can be tough, as anyone with expiring certs will be throwing them at every itinerary they're on. With that amount of flexibility, though, I imagine you can find something. Turn on expert mode (there's board thread on this) and look for space in the R fare class. My very first search showed R5 -- Wed. Jan 17, NRT-EWR (on the 77W w/Polaris seating). That would clear at booking -- no waitlisting; no stress.

It may be more difficult to find space on the weekends, and TPAC seems to be easier than TATL recently. But space is out there if you're flexible.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Gld; DL Plat; UA Gld;Bonvoy Titanium4Life; Hyatt Silver;
Thanks, that's great advice. I turned on expert mode, and see the buckets. Unfortunately, that flight prices out above my budget, so now I'm looking for a way to connect to it from somewhere else - like MNL or GUM!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.