Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: United 1K
Angry The truth on why upgrades are tough

At the gate look at all the people going to the gate keepers and Paying for the upgrade at a very reduced price before freebies are given. On international flights they hold back last minute as many are willing to buy the upgrade a few hours or minutes before takeoff. I fly to India out of Newark and 15+ seats always available just before takeoff and this is because they want to get many to buy the upgrades for $1,100 one way. Before merger this did not happen and now inventory knows many buy so why release.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mean_street_dude
Before merger this did not happen and now inventory knows many buy so why release.
Perhaps the days of free upgrades are slowly ending. Maybe elites would be better served with bigger mileage bonus (to apply to premium mileage tickets) or coupons (companion cert, $500 e-cert, etc) instead of upgrade instruments.

If an airline prefers to maximize revenue, they can price to sell all of the seats, no upgrades except off-peak. The key question is what does this do to loyalty programs. I get the feeling that UA would prefer to "fire" their lowest-price Y fliers and keep those that buy premium, so perhaps they do not care that much. Changing the PQM multiplier to 2x+ for premium cabins is definitely a step in that direction.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
GPU's are useless from the West Coast of the USA to europe.

Just throw them away. There is no point spending $2800 on a W fare, when you will not get the upgrade instead of $1400 in Economy plus. Just throw the GPUs away and chalk it up to a loss.

This is United, and we all have to get used to it.

I throw them away almost every year--all 6 of them--because I never can use them.

When it's time to buy business class tickets, spend your money on a non-UA airline.
Yup. The only upgrade I got last year was an op-up and I was trying to use them LHR-SFO-LHR. In days passim I used to be able to use them but not now. It ceased being a benefit years ago now, looks good on paper, but that's it.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Global Entry, Citi Prestige, Chase MileagePlus Club
Originally Posted by weero
That is patently untrue. My very last longhaul ug on UA was after push back when the purser told me that they did not have time to clear my GPU at the gate and she'd bring my to my new seat. I declined quite rudely as I hate that commotion on board and I already mentally settled for a coach ride.
This is just childish. Did you think that you were teaching her (or UA in general) a lesson?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by StringerBellBivDeVoe
This is just childish. Did you think that you were teaching her (or UA in general) a lesson?
UA could care less. Cabin crew just doing the passenger a favor as UG's aren't normally processed after boarding. It's no commotion, but if the passenger prefers Y to C or C to F, that's certainly the passenger's prerogative. Bet it made for a nice bunch of jokes in the galley.

Hopefully both the GA and crew both learned their lesson. Stick to the policy. Once the pax boards, the UG is gone.

Last edited by Often1; Feb 8, 2016 at 7:15 pm
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by StringerBellBivDeVoe
UA is not a sentient entity. And I gave my reasoning above. I haven't bought an upgradable fare on UA in 15 months now and likely won't ever again, especially not now that AA comes out with its PE.
Originally Posted by Often1
Hopefully both the GA and crew both learned their lesson. Stick to the policy. Once the pax boards, the UG is gone.
Yup. I hope so too.

But then we are talking UA here, with the whole family values thing coming back to UA, inflight upgrades for screaming babies are less than two weeks away.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
...Stick to the policy. Once the pax boards, the UG is gone.
And where is that policy stated??

I have been told more than once, as #1 on the list, to board and they will come and get me if the upgrade opens up -- which it has a few times. Have never heard of any policy that forfeits upgrade if you board.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by johnden
K fare - $1100
W fare - $1600
P fare - $3800

I buy a W fare for $1600 and have a 33% chance of clearing a GPU.

Actual cost (assuming I need to burn the GPU anyway). Normally the TOD + W is less than buying P outright, so I'll assume the TOD is just a buyup to a discount P fare.

(0.33 * 1600) + (0.66 * 3800) = $3036 expected cost for J.
I am not following your reasoning here.

If you buy P, your expected cost is E[$3800]=$3800.

If you buy W just to get the upgrade and your chances are .33, then the cost introduced by the upgrade is K+(W-K)/.33=2615 USD.

Unless you turn down the ride every time the ug doesn't clear in which case the ug cost would be W/.33=4848 USD.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Wow. I guess this is a YMMV situation as I would put up with A LOT of commotion to secure my upgrade on a long haul flight.
I too ... in the past. But the TOD scams educated me that UA has to be treated much like an estate agent or a phone company when it comes to business ethics.

I was also very irate at that particular moment. And the purser phrasing it as if they were doing me a favour was simply too much. I don't need their sympathy. I'd rather pay a company that earns its fares.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

I have been told more than once, as #1 on the list, to board and they will come and get me if the upgrade opens up -- which it has a few times. Have never heard of any policy that forfeits upgrade if you board.
I did this one better a couple of weeks ago, IAH-SFO. Was #1 on the list, with 2 seats open in FC. Boarded in economy, watched the app. 3 minutes before departure, I cleared in the app, and just moved up to 1F. The GA came on board, looked at me, and just smiled.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!

Yeah this is not a United policy but certainly applies to other airlines - for sure AA and maybe DL too
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Yeah this is not a United policy but certainly applies to other airlines - for sure AA and maybe DL too
I've been moved up from coach after boarding on AA, and on DL. A recent AA flight in fact, I asked (I'm a newbie there) the GA, I'm #1 on upgrade, but want to have a place for my bags, he said, yeah, no problem if we get a no show in FC, we'll come get you. Where does this stuff come from?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.

That is patently untrue. My very last longhaul ug on UA was after push back when the purser told me that they did not have time to clear my GPU at the gate and she'd bring my to my new seat. I declined quite rudely as I hate that commotion on board and I already mentally settled for a coach ride.
Wow, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by transportbiz
Wow, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Not at all. I have been a lot happier with PremiumEconomy product of BA and LH than the uncertain upgrade rodeo chez UA ever since.

I much rather have low fares and early boarding than perhaps-upgrades. So UA couldn't hawk off the last seat for $150 to a K fare holder ... and then the 1K MM on a full fare is good enough to clear? Seriously no thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I am quite jealous that you lasted nearly 2.5 years longer than I did.

After several B segments in a row did not clear for me even though I booked more than a month out, I completely stopped buying upgradable fares on UA.

Your chances of getting an ug or an el-cheapo ug from a lowball fare are very much higher than being an overentitled elite who already paid for the worthless full fare.
Only thing better is a GM or alliance member on a lowball fare.

Why? If he's a big enough idiot to pay for F on UA, he may not be savvy in anything flying related.

Not at all. I have been a lot happier with PremiumEconomy product of BA and LH than the uncertain upgrade rodeo chez UA ever since.

I much rather have low fares and early boarding than perhaps-upgrades. So UA couldn't hawk off the last seat for $150 to a K fare holder ... and then the 1K MM on a full fare is good enough to clear? Seriously no thanks!
Man, that's crazy! Neither UA nor anyone at UA is going to be concerned if you don't take an upgraded seat. You just lose out. You could always take the upgrade and still switch to other airlines later.

The part about once you board the upgrade is gone, I don't know where that is from. Last year on a TPE-SFO flight I was settled in business and an agent came aboard and said that they had several passengers joining the flight who had missed their BR connection. Business was now oversold and would I mind moving up to first.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by mean_street_dude
At the gate look at all the people going to the gate keepers and Paying for the upgrade at a very reduced price before freebies are given. On international flights they hold back last minute as many are willing to buy the upgrade a few hours or minutes before takeoff. I fly to India out of Newark and 15+ seats always available just before takeoff and this is because they want to get many to buy the upgrades for $1,100 one way. Before merger this did not happen and now inventory knows many buy so why release.
What do you mean by 'freebies'? GPU's (the topic of this thread) are EARNED instruments. It's just the cr@ppy way UA is managing their redemption that is causing so much angst.

Me too and I'll take it if offered.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2016 at 3:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.