Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nomad420
SFO-EWR is one of several notoriously slow (if ever) to clear RPU/GPU's. Numerous up thread complaints about this route. Although I must admit this example is pretty egregious. I have to believe by this time all GS upgrades have cleared!? Consider yourself lucky if you clear by the tomorrow morning. I have had zero luck on getting my RPU/GPU's pulled on this flight.
Well, for UA 1071 SFO-EWR for 04/28/17 11am departure, it is showing RN4 right now. Also for UA 1072 EWR-SFO 04/28/17 9 pm departure, RN6 is being displayed via .bomb.

David
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
I have an RPU applied for a flight from SAN to EWR and EWR to PIT tomorrow. The RPU cleared on booking for the EWR to PIT leg. However the SAN to EWR hasnt cleared and looking at the seatmap on the app tells me that no there are no F seats open ( I don't know how much to trust this info)

I am pretty sure that I can clear a CPU on the EWR to PIT flight if no RPU were applied and tbh i don't really care about an upgrade on that flight.

Assuming that my RPU doesn't clear on the SAN-EWR flight, I don't want to throw away my RPU on my EWR-PIT flight. What are the possibilities of my RPU clearing on the SAN-EWR flight and if there isn't when should i call in and recall the RPU?

FYI, Its a red eye tomorrow
Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:27 pm

Flight EWR to LHR on Sunday May 7th. 10 seats left and I have a GPU applied. Current status on wait list (according to 1K desk) is I am 2nd. Thoughts on clearing?
FYI - I cleared CDG to EWR on Thursday May 11th about a week ago on a GPU - over 20 seats still available.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:51 pm

just a vent about the no upgrades on P fares to Asia.
I just booked a P fare from SFO->PEK for next week. only 1 first class seat is taken, yet even though I'm GS, I can't upgrade to first because I booked in P. just seems silly..
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dag16
just a vent about the no upgrades on P fares to Asia.
I just booked a P fare from SFO->PEK for next week. only 1 first class seat is taken, yet even though I'm GS, I can't upgrade to first because I booked in P. just seems silly..
how many airlines do you know that allow upgrades from business to First with certificates from rock bottom fares? UAs policy is pretty much in line with most other *A carriers.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
how many airlines do you know that allow upgrades from business to First with certificates from rock bottom fares? UAs policy is pretty much in line with most other *A carriers.
P is not rock bottom fare, it's still a fully refundable fare. Lowest bus class fare on my trip was 1800 roundtrip. mine was 4k. I can upgrade P to europe, just not asia. 85% of my travel is to china or india (no first class), so what's the point of GPUs as I can never use them..
bus class is almost full on my flight, first is still almost completely empty. if they allowed people to upgrade, then they could sell more bus seats.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can upgrade P to europe, just not asia.

How?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
P is not rock bottom fare, it's still a fully refundable fare. Lowest bus class fare on my trip was 1800 roundtrip. mine was 4k. I can upgrade P to europe, just not asia. 85% of my travel is to china or india (no first class), so what's the point of GPUs as I can never use them..
bus class is almost full on my flight, first is still almost completely empty. if they allowed people to upgrade, then they could sell more bus seats.
Wife just flew SFO - ICN with full fare business (C ticket) and got a courtesy upgrade to F. We were going to throw a GPU at it but she actually got a CPU upgraded before we could do it. She said both F and C were initially wide open as I guess not many people going to Korea these days.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I do not believe a P fare is fully refundable.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I do not believe a P fare is fully refundable.
Nor GPU upgradable to Europe.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
P is not rock bottom fare
Yes, it is. Deep discount, the very lowest business class fare.

first is still almost completely empty. if they allowed people to upgrade, then they could sell more bus seats
UA will oversell J so long as there are F seats open. They don't need to allow GPU upgrades on P fares to do that.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Just cleared a Global from C to F on LH FRA-JFK in September after applying it 1 hour after etik issued, so 18 hours to clear! Wish PS was this easy It s non existent!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cbourl
Just cleared a Global from C to F on LH FRA-JFK in September after applying it 1 hour after etik issued, so 18 hours to clear! Wish PS was this easy It s non existent!
Cut back on international travel this year but have several GPU/RPU's on SFO-BOS, SFO-EWR, SFO-CLE, SFO-IAD.....Booked weeks to months ago and ZERO have cleared as of today. Haven't thrown them at the shorter runs but will start doing that last half of 2017 if nothing clears. Leaving on a SFO-SAN next week and just can't see throwing an RPU at that just yet.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
At this point, I have applied GPU/RPU on the following

IAD-SFO, SFO-PVG, EWR-PVG, PVG-ORD, ORD-BOS, SFO-BOS, DEN-LGA,

All waitlisted.

It's brutal.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I've planned TATL and TPACs this year and not seen an R inventory a couple of months out. I ended up going on LH metal to clear GPUs on the TATL. I have a GPU on a DEN-NRT on a U fare, we'll see how that goes. I didn't have very much flexibility on that one. Actually got a P fare on the way home.

I don't know if the new Polaris is making them keep R space low. If GPUs don't clear and I don't see some R space, I'll drop UA like a bad habit. GPUs are the only reason I'm here.

On a side note, UA must hate me. I fly either UX or LH for 90%+ of my spend with them. More their issue of not being a truly global option out of a 'hub' like Denver and running Regional jets on INTER-Regional routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.